Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

AdamD wrote: »
    PS3 beta is quite bad tbh, so campy and just poor in general.

Won't be buying

Campy? you mean positional war?

i like it. Love the way everyone plays it. All use cover, taking positions, trying to flank someone who sits very tight in position. Some people call it camping, i call it using brains and not playing like cod.

very happy that it can run on my rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I must have missed the memo that BC1+2 were meant to be bad games?

Pretty bad IMO. Disgustingly campy games with average gameplay, no clan support in BC1 and private games that didn't work in BC2. Plenty of coding errors and glitches too. Poor party systems that never worked (and doesn't in the beta either).

@ Above poster: That is camping and I do not find it in any way fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

coadyd wrote: »
    I just think its way too much like bad company 2 . didn't like that either

Why would you buy the PC version in a 'heartbeat' then ? Seems trollish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Is anyone else having problems with the game crashing to desktop after about 5 mins? Really don't know what the problem is. I've lowered the graphics settings a lot more than is needed and its still happening! Really annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

disgusted the choppers are just like BC2, I really hope they fix them its like flying a stone

• Advertisement

Pretty bad IMO. Disgustingly campy games with average gameplay, no clan support in BC1 and private games that didn't work in BC2. Plenty of coding errors and glitches too. Poor party systems that never worked (and doesn't in the beta either).

"Trolling or just stupid?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems with the game crashing to desktop after about 5 mins? Really don't know what the problem is. I've lowered the graphics settings a lot more than is needed and its still happening! Really annoying!

upnp protocol on your router turn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

yes im a troll . it my opinion I dont like the lack of effort put into the xbox beta it looks like crap . I feel that battlefield is at its best on the PC.
    The first Battlefield game I got into was on the xbox it was Modern Combat I really enjoyed that game and have bought all the following Battlefield games since that only to be let down and judging from the beta its just more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'm liking but not being able to map mouse buttons is killing me, literally. Can assign the keyboard alright but nothing happens with the mouse.

upnp protocol on your router turn it off

I saw your earlier post and did that but it happened again. Is it network related rather than hardware ya think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

360 user here, first time playing a BF game online and enjoying it very much, wish they gave an extra map to play on though! I thought I wouldn't like it as I am not fan of objective game types but it seemed to click with me on battlefield.

For anyone who cannot join a game, delete your cache and restart it, worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

hey no need to get personal .its just a game you know .

i think people are missing the main point:

ITS BETA NOT DEMO!

"Trolling or just stupid?"

I posted my opinion and backed it up. Thanks for taking the thread down a few notches. :rolleyes:

and I know its a beta, i've played a gazillion of them.

I posted my opinion and backed it up. Thanks for taking the thread down a few notches. :rolleyes:

you calling tactical positional game campy and bad. if you go play super mario 1 and expect sharks with freaking lazer beams and then moan, when you havent found them, then its trolling

you calling tactical positional game campy and bad. if you go play super mario 1 and expect sharks with freaking lazer beams and then moan, when you havent found them, then its trolling

'Tactical position'? Sorry but half of my team (on BC2 and the beta) spending the most part of the game in a bush with a sniper rifle on attack in rush doesn't seem all that tactical to me. The game mode is called rush, defenders will be camping, thats logical. Attackers should be attacking, they do not. I am not trolling, I am giving quite a valid opinion on the game. The only thing that I liked about this is that they added recoil to the guns, pity its virtually one shot kill.

Also: Poor choice of map for the beta? :S

Fine.

Just surprised people were expecting much different from the BC stock.

I know there's been a lot of moaning of BF vs MW and accusations of each other series just rehashing the same stuff again and again.

But there are some things that are ingrained into the game series design during its evolution and will come with every entry of the franchise (until it completely bombs and is rebooted ala the MOH series).

So if you didnt like BC2 I will take a guess here...you're not going to like Battlefield 3.

I could argue if you are a Battlefield 2 fan to hold off and see how the conquest mode feels like, but you will not get the oppurtunity to do so in the beta. On the pc side of things most BF2 fans have said Caspian has won them over. But conquest will only be half the game. The other half is rush.

Personnally I was initially very disapointed with the beta but after a few hours sorting out my technical problems and getting use to the new system I am actually very happy with it now.

On the pc side of things most BF2 fans have said Caspian has won them over. But conquest will only be half the game. .

nope the choppers are terrible, as its the dumbed down flight controls again of BC2

and after being promised that they flew like BF2 its a major disappointment

Fine.

I could argue if you are a Battlefield 2 fan to hold off and see how the conquest mode feels like, but you will not get the oppurtunity to do so in the beta. On the pc side of things most BF2 fans have said Caspian has won them over. But conquest will only be half the game. The other half is rush.

Personnally I was initially very disapointed with the beta but after a few hours sorting out my technical problems and getting use to the new system I am actually very happy with it now.
    This is what dissapointed me too, I was told that BF3 was gonna be different from the bad company mold and from that I assumed it would all be about conquest (easily the better mode on BC2 anyway), thought it was quite strange and not very BF-esque to have a non-vehicle map with Rush as the game mode on the beta.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I saw your earlier post and did that but it happened again. Is it network related rather than hardware ya think?

hmm

when it crashes does the little loading screen in battlelog say anything?

If it doesnt then its likely hardware related. Not necessarily gfx. It could be server side issues, but there's no way to confirm that and if its happening constantly at regular intervals then most likely hardware.

But if it flashes red with some random error or simply saying connection lost or something then it is network related. Cause that would indicate that battlelog recognised that the game client was closed, meaning there was nothing wrong with the client itself.

• Advertisement

This is what dissapointed me too, I was told that BF3 was gonna be different from the bad company mold and from that I assumed it would all be about conquest (easily the better mode on BC2 anyway), thought it was quite strange and not very BF-esque to have a non-vehicle map with Rush as the game mode on the beta.

Yes there has been a lot of backlash at the beta for such an unusual choice of map/setup I wont deny that. I too found it strange and wonder what the thinking behind it was.
    nope the choppers are terrible, as its the dumbed down flight controls again of BC2

and after being promised that they flew like BF2 its a major disappointmen

Ahh yes the infamous chopper issue. Something that has eluded me mostly because in my BF2 days I wasnt a big fan of the choppers, actually I was always in every BF game until this one a big assault infantry player.

So its an apples and oranges debate, I can understand the disapointment but to me chopper controls come in pretty low on issues that make or break Battlefield.

hmm

when it crashes does the little loading screen in battlelog say anything?

If it doesnt then its likely hardware related. Not necessarily gfx. It could be server side issues, but there's no way to confirm that and if its happening constantly at regular intervals then most likely hardware.

But if it flashes red with some random error or simply saying connection lost or something then it is network related. Cause that would indicate that battlelog recognised that the game client was closed, meaning there was nothing wrong with the client itself.

Battlelog doesn't recognise the crash. There's two of them, one the screen just freezes and I have to kill the process in the task manager. The other is just a complete crash of the game client and back to the desktop.

I thought I had it fixed by disabling my on board sound. I got a full game on metro but when I tried caspian it crashed again. It could hopefully be that map!

Ahh yes the infamous chopper issue. Something that has eluded me mostly because in my BF2 days I wasnt a big fan of the choppers, actually I was always in every BF game until this one a big assault infantry player.

the chopper issue just points out to me that the dumbing down of the battlefield franchise that started with BC2 has spilled over into BF3

guess I will be sticking to Red Orchestra & ARMA

as BF is gone all COD :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I know its in "beta" and very rough around the edges but its only 4 weeks until release and I'm worried they wont have most of the obvious bugs worked out.
    Add to that the probability that only 2 of the 9 maps will be tested with any rigor, I'm very very skeptical.

What I do like is the Battlelog. It's pretty quick and intuitive as is and will probably base more polished by the relee date. I can see lots of javascript hacks/tools being developed which can only be a good thing.

I've yet to get onto the Caspian Border map so I've been stuck playing Metro and its not too bad. The only problem is that its more Bad Company 2 than Battlefield 2. Better to bring Karkland into the Beta if they were worried about us being spoiled by "new" maps.

I'm away all weekend so I wont be able to play as much as I had hoped (f**king pre-order), but I really hope they fix the major issues by the 25th Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

im liking it..
    i love bf2 and 2142.
    liked bc2, but grew bored of it easily.

its very bc2 like, even though it was supposed to be a battlefield game, instead of bad company.

im gona buy it, hopefully the full release will have some good changes also.
    and would love to see some more maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Im liking it a lot, feels natural dunno why people think its MOH like if anything its an evolution of BF and BC.

Few stupid bugs that should ahve been copped but nothing gamestopping and im sure by patch 15 they be fixed.

only annoyance is those lights i find shooting at them does **** all.

Poor d22ontour im supposed to be building his pc this weekend, umm yeah reckon i be busy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

So i have played it for over an hour, To be honest, A month away from release date I'm very concerned about this beta.

I did expect bugs, But to be honest I didn't expect there to be basic bugs.

The overall quality of the game is identical to battlefield: bad company 2 and medal of honor see as they both used the same engine.

I really can't see me buying this game when it comes out, Not with Modern warfare 2 coming out two weeks later.

I was expecting something different, Instead I see no difference! What happened to EA saying this was going to be unlike any game seen before.

So much for BF3.

COME ON COD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

PS3 beta is quite bad tbh, so campy and just poor in general.

Won't be buying

Only guys I've seen camping on the PS3 are the snipers.

You know, those blokes who are supposed to camp? I haven't seen nearly as many snipers as you get on BC2, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Whats the new caspian border pass, last one isn't working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

KilOit wrote: »
    Whats the new caspian border pass, last one isn't working

Password : shoppingcartsareagoodride
    Last i checked...

Advertisement