Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta Impressions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Having some problems actually playing it , when I select multiplayer it comes back with lost connection to ea server :mad:

When I check the install (xbox) It shows as 2mb and not the 1.3GB I downloaded :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ST3NG4H

Played it on PS3 all day today.

I'm really enjoying it. My only minor gripes are it is a poor map and the lack of a mute function. Been driven crazy by music over mics, some french guy arguing with someone in his kitchen and some 12 y.o german raging.

Another thing I fell could be added is a sound effect when you are getting shot like BC2. Most of the time I find I'm dead before I knew what was happening

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Caspian Border password is still
    shoppingcartsareagoodride
    . Unfortunately, it runs like absolute **** on my pc. So much so that i don't see myself playing until i can get an upgrade. Oh well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Chorcai wrote: »
    already a type of glitch, a guy was prone half in the floor of the map flyin around with a shotgun...

That happened to me too. I disappereared into the floor a few times on parts of the map where the terrain was sloping.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ST3NG4H

Headshot wrote: »
    They need to improve the hit detection on the head alot

Yeah especially when the enemy is prone. More times I've shot someone in the face while they're prone and lose, the enemy with 50% health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tons of screen tearing, jaggy textures, falling through the map, the screen stays blue when you pause then unpause so you have to do it again. can't mute people, and the full game is out in 29 days? sweet jesus...don't think I'll bother with betas anymore, they just put me off the game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

My computer finally gave up being a bastard and let me have a few rounds of Caspian Border. My god that map is awesome! They really should have that as the standard beta map but feck it, Metro is good but Caspian Border is good old fashioned battlefield. Mad shít happening all around you all the time. Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

krudler wrote: »
    tons of screen tearing, jaggy textures, falling through the map, the screen stays blue when you pause then unpause so you have to do it again. can't mute people, and the full game is out in 29 days? sweet jesus...don't think I'll bother with betas anymore, they just put me off the game

Yeah with the amount of crap that's broken i find it hard to believe its going to be anywhere near finished by release, had great fun playing with a few friends of mine but the bugs really start to piss you off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just had a few hours on the 360 and PS3. 360 version has a lot of rendering issues and screen tears. Wall textures are terrible but the model detail is quite good. Lags a bit in scope when shooting too...

PS3 version is just ****e. Took too long to load, textures were all over the place and bugs are beyond belief.

PC version has some terrible bugs too but I think the common bugs are on all 3 platforms. 360 version is about low/medium settings of PC, and PS3 is all low settings imo. PC > 360 > PS3

But they all play well gameplaywise when it all comes together :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Are folks reporting specific bugs or are all of them common problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DermotOH wrote: »
    Would prefer if prone was taken out tbh, Ran around too many corners to find some guy lying in a doorway

Get out of this thread now...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

no use in complaining on a beta its stupid finished game will be fine. some of the posting here is hurting my eyes with the amount of moaning and ****etealk about a beta...
    game is very good ignore the moaning michaels.. :D

You might have a point if the release wasn't for another six months or so, but this is a game that is shipping in less than four weeks. What you see in the beta is going to be very close to what's going to be sent for the GM; and that'll be in a matter of days. You'd have think they'd have learned some lessons from MOH, but then again this is EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Played 360 version (PSN was down so couldn't try that), and here are my impressions:

1. Took a while for it to connect to EA Online. I think I had to try it about 10 times before it connected. Then on the 3rd game it crashed me out saying it lost connection
    2. Graphics buggy and not fantastic, but it is a Beta - I expect this to be more polished in released version
    3. VERY hard to tell who the enemy is. I think I read somewhere this morning that names only appear over teammates - is this true?
    4. The metro map is pretty cool and interesting

Overall I am still excited about the game, and I think the single player campaign will wipe the floor with MW3. With regards to multiplayer the maps look cool - and the sfx are great, I just found the identification of enemies being a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,357 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Impressions after two long games on the PS3 last night:

- Graphics as people have mentioned: Nothing like the gorgeous-ness of BFBC2.

- Very difficult to see enemies in the first instance and very difficult to tell them apart from your allies in the second instance

- The menus etc are annoying but that may grow on me

- Some of the guns (early ones on Assault I admit) seem to almost block out the target when you zoom in which makes the zoom a bit silly

- sprint is too slow: (However, I was thinking that until I was told I had suddenly unlocked sprint - expecting it to be faster now)

- I hate the new jumping motion: Incredbily annoying and slow etc

EDIT:

- Map is crap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Yeah i've noticed most of the problems mentioned above, also sometimes I found myself unable to sprint, or aim down the sights.

Graphics wise it looks lovely on high on PC, xbox isn't jaw dropping but it's still nice. Most people are just spoilt now a days when it comes to graphics, plus i didn't get the game to look at shiny pixels.

As for the gameplay, i am loving it. Characters blend into the terrain pretty well so you have to be a bit more careful running around. The damage is pretty good too, i always thought it took a few too many rounds to kill people in both BC's.

I absolutely love the visual effects of the torches, laser sights and especially the suppression effect. It really adds a new element to the game. Finally now the support class can actually be used for it's role rather than just a slow assault rifle with bigger mags.

Only played Casbian border for about ten minutes before the game crashed so can't comment much on the vehicle aspect of the game, but so it's looking good. Most of the problems are spawning from the fact it's a beta, so i can't fault them on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

What you see in the beta is going to be very close to what's going to be sent for the GM.

No it isn't, the beta would have been broken off from the games weeks if not months ago to prepare it to be downloadable and playable on 3 different platforms. The actual game they are still working on will already have alot more work done on it and have most of these issues worked out already

This beta has just saved me 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This Caspian Border is driving me mental.
    There are 14-16 euro servers, always full.

I've spend the last 15 mins refreshing, copying and pasting the password and trying to join, hoping someone leaves. When I finally got in...it got "server disconnected" .....

Also, the 10 mins I had earlier on a US Caspian, was just plane/chopper camping ....and also very laggy compared to metro

I've half a mind to drive to Citywest and kick the **** outta these servers !

Have this crap error now
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2826551139101590715/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

As someone mentioned in another thread, the graphics will have been toned down a lot to keep the download file size small for the beta. Remember this is a beta and not a demo of the finished article.

The beta is really about checking out the network coding and server infrastructure. Also, the time stamps on a lot of the files are late July (I didn't check myself), so the final release will be substantially updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know its in "beta" and very rough around the edges but its only 4 weeks until release and I'm worried they wont have most of the obvious bugs worked out.
    Add to that the probability that only 2 of the 9 maps will be tested with any rigor, I'm very very skeptical.
    Question for the Alpha testers: has there been much of a change from Alpha to Beta, apart from the spawn being moved up? I'm thinking from dates on some of the files that this may just be a more "mass produced alpha".
    Auvers wrote: »
    nope the choppers are terrible, as its the dumbed down flight controls again of BC2
    Sh|te. I was actually hoping for DC choppers, tbh.
    TheFairy wrote: »
    That was bullets? I thought it was a bag of empty beer cans. BF3 and beer will mix, well I intend to make it. Get d22's PC built already!
    I shoot anyone who shines a light at me. Captain Morgans will just make me a bit more trigger happy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Played a few games yesterday and while i had fun.. there seems to be quite a few bugs. I donno if bring prone back was a good thing... was killed quite a few times by proned bush wookies, the guns generally feel more powerful than they did in BC2.. or maybe its just that hitboxes seem more responsive.

Graphically... on PS3 (Which seems to run better than the xbox version, we were running them both side by side yesterday.. not a big difference tho) its good... not great, its still lagging behind KZ3 as the best looking/performing shooter on console and was screentearing constantly. I'll reserve judgement until i get the full retail version tho.. but so far.. i'd give it a 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

(I posted this in the wrong forum initially)

PS3 - my thoughts
    Battlefield 3 Beta Comments (PS3)

At first I was extremely disappointed, the graphics were choppy and ragged with strange textures etc, and I didn't know what was doing on with the controls. Added to that I kept dying fast, didn't understand the loadout system, had no clue were the bases were and basically was not having fun.

I went off then and before bed I said I would give it another go... 2.5 hrs later and into the early hours of the morning (work is tough today) I can say that I love it. The graphics seem less of an issue as the gameplay is now so absorbing and as I got to grips with everything it just all seemed to come together.

My 'hits' and 'misses' from playing the game at this early stage are:

HITS

(1) I love the RPG. It rocks. More like the RPG from 'Nam that the BFBC2 version, which I never liked.

(2) The Recon class is brilliant... there is some serious power in the bolt action guns but enough sway and movement to make it difficult enough to hit the target. Also the versatility is brilliant (4 scope, 12 scope, 7 scope, 8 scope, red-dot etc)... I picked up a MOD with Red-Dot and it was the business

(3) The laser light on the guns is a brilliant addition as (a) being blinded by it is very effective and (b) it levels out the playing field versus snipers who use the laser light (which I wouldn't to be honest)

(4) I am loving the light addition which I've yet to use myself but the effect on you is blindly... literally. Also brilliant seeing enemies coming down the tunnels with their lights... reminds me of Metal Gear Solid.

(5) The mobile spawn assessory for Recon is great and can be very effective. I didn't know what it was first but loved it when I understood how to use it effectively.

(6) Grenades rule. On a downside you have less control in aiming as it seems a bit automated but the noise and power from them is great.

(7) I think the suppression feature is really good. Haven't play as Support much but when I have it has been good

(8) The last part of Metro where you can get into the buildings is unreal. Some buzz knocking the front of the building and running around going nuts.

(9) Prone rules... it is fair in that that person is less visible but what that they have less visibility themselves.

(10) Jumping over objects etc is slick and really. Also moving from Prone to Crouch has a good effect on the instability of the gun.

(11) The guns are seriously powerful which makes the game far more realistic and more tactical. I thought this was a downside at first but given that enemies are harder to see it is important to make the gun damage more lethal (I do find pistols to be especially powerful)

(12) I like the way all the powerups are gun specific but this can also lead to being an issue because I found moving from Recon to another class a pain in the hole as I had to use their crap iron-sights. Maybe this is a pro and a con as moving guns can now be a barrier.

'MISSES'

(1) Spotting isn't very effective to be honest and I am not sure if that is on purpose or not. Maybe spotting is best left like this as it suits the game more perhaps?

(2) The destruction isn't as impressive as I would have expected. Yes there are some great effects with the buildings in the latter part of the map but there is hardly anying in the metro apart from some broken glass. You can't even knock out the lights which I heard was 'on the menu!'!!

(3) The shotgun isn't great to be honest as I hate the new crosshairs. They should have kept it like in BFBC2 where the crosshairs for buckshot were wide and not narrow like in the current game.

(4) When you try and spot it makes a strange computer fail noise which is odd. It isn't too annoying, just unusual.

(5) It can be very difficult to know who is enemy or friendly. Maybe I am blind but I find it near on impossible to notice the difference meaning I have expertise in shooting friendly teammates.

(6) With the guns so powerful and the ability to use prone, it can lead to some camping - but I am not overly concerned here as it does lead to tactical decisions needing to be made.

(7) Obviously no in game chat at the moment but I am sure that is only temportary

(8) The graphics are disappointing, not disappointing when compared to PC, just disappointing in general. I saw PS3 graphics previous to this and they were superb so I wonder is it just the BETA????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Parts in bold don't compute.

What do you mean, Also I obviously meant modern warfare 3.

I have played every battlefield there has been, Enjoyed most of them, But they have become stale and pretty much to slow and no changes overall.

On the pc it's not as bad(still bad though), But on consoles they are just terrible.

While this is a beta and it's hard to judge with bugs alone, I'm counting my points toward the overall game play and speed and the basic.

I heard it was still 30fps on console games, Which to me is ridiculous for a fps.

Furthermore, The only game i continue to enjoy is cod(Pc only) with that in mind i was hoping that battlefield 3 was going to be far superior to battlefield 2, In the end it doesn't seem all that different.

Forgive me for putting in words what i have to say about the beta, But the thread is called beta impressions afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Just had a few hours on the 360 and PS3. 360 version has a lot of rendering issues and screen tears. Wall textures are terrible but the model detail is quite good. Lags a bit in scope when shooting too...

PS3 version is just ****e. Took too long to load, textures were all over the place and bugs are beyond belief.

PC version has some terrible bugs too but I think the common bugs are on all 3 platforms. 360 version is about low/medium settings of PC, and PS3 is all low settings imo. PC > 360 > PS3

But they all play well gameplaywise when it all comes together :P

You reckon the PS3 graphics will be notched up for release date because I have seen PS3 footage released prior to this which looked amazing...? confused here

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

mozattack wrote: »
    You reckon the PS3 graphics will be notched up for release date because I have seen PS3 footage released prior to this which looked amazing...? confused here

This is my take on it regarding the graphics! They prob have dumbed down the beta on all platforms by a good bit to ensure that all the gameplay bugs can be ironed out. I really think there will be a big difference in the graphics with the retail game. I haven't seen it on xbox or ps3 but I am sure it will be as nice if not nicer than BC2!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Whats the story with unlocks as in weapon additons, can select the new weapons but no idea how to slect, grip, bipod, reflex site etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Whats the story with unlocks as in weapon additons, can select the new weapons but no idea how to slect, grip, bipod, reflex site etc.

When you go into customise, and your guns are listed, there's a box on the gun for 'attachments' or something like that. Click it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,198 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there away to know how powerful a gun is ?

guns stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there away to know how powerful a gun is ?

guns stats?

Yeah, they're all there when equipping your soldier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

mozattack wrote: »

PS3 graphics in the beta are the best of the consoles, it has more lighting effects and the textures are better... at least from what i've seen... still tho.. the beta is still a good bit behind KZ3 (IMO, the best looking FPS on console) in both graphics + performance, thats not to say its bad because it still looks pretty damn good to me.

And yeah, i think most are of the opinion that this is an old beta build and not the actual current version of the game, we'll see tho.

Advertisement