Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche going baby smothered with perfume?

Options
  • 28-09-2011 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi There,
    My 10 month baby goes to a creche. We extermely happy with the creche (not the exorbidant fee!) and it's very convenient to us.

We have a concern regarding our little one coming home with loads of perfume all over her every other day. I'm certain that, they don't use perfume on her, its one of the caretaker uses (read soaks) & that tranfers into my little one. I'm sure this against health and safety.
    When people working in salad bar are not allowed to wear makeup & perfumes, I'm sure creche worker shouldn't be using it too!
    I've raised it with the creche today. I'm not unreasonable, am I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Not at all. Babies skin is so sensitive that if you can minimise contact with chemicals at all then you should. Suppose its nice to know that the workers take pride in their appearance and odour though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Boo!!!

No you are not wrong to say it to someone in the creche as the chemicals are not good for the baby to breathe in, however as a creche worker I know the pain and hassle from the manager you get when a parent has a problem and goes directly to the manager. I hope you said it to the girls working in the room rather than the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cooperangela88

This is absolutely not right on the part of the crèche staff; they must understand the importance of kids. You as a mom have genuine concern for your little one and they have their duty to adhere to what you find not good for your kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

I have worked in 3 different creches and have never come across "Not allowed wear perfume" in any of the contracts.

Im a little confused as to why it bothers you that your child smells of perfume.
    Please dont think i am being rude because im not.
    Just wondering what the issue is really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If a child worker is wearing so much perfume that it comes home on the children she is caring for then that's way too much. There's little wrong with some light scent but someone working with children should have an awareness that perfume is a chemical that may affect the skin and breathing and should wear as little as possible - preferably none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

I do agree with you Orion but i was just saying that as a creche worker i have never ever heard it to be an issue before.. Unless of course the child in question has had some type of reaction to the chemicals associated with perfume.

As a mother myself, collecting my baby that has a smell of perfume from her would make me feel that my baby was picked up and cuddled for alot of the day. That can only be a good thing right... You know they are being well looked after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

help_me wrote: »
    When people working in salad bar are not allowed to wear makeup & perfumes, I'm sure creche worker shouldn't be using it too!

I've never heard this about salad bar workers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Even if the childcare worker was holding the baby all day, the child shouldn't still smell of perfume at the end of the day as the scent should have worn off by then. She must be dousing in it or reapplying.

Mention it to the créche OP. It may only be a minor annoyance to you, but could be highly irritating to some children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it's a case of it's not what you say but how you say it. I don't think it's appropriate to douse yourself in perfume if you're a childminder but I wouldn't tell the worker straight out that she stinks of perfume and you hate the smell of it on your baby.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If it's not irritating your babies skin, then I don't see what the problem is.. as someone else says, isn't it nice to know that the carer takes pride in their appearance/smell..

Maybe someone in the creche has a really bad perspiration problem and has to keep lashing on the deodorant throughout the day and that's what you're smelling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

xzanti wrote: »
    If it's not irritating your babies skin, then I don't see what the problem is.. as someone else says, isn't it nice to know that the carer takes pride in their appearance/smell..

Maybe someone in the creche has a really bad perspiration problem and has to keep lashing on the deodorant throughout the day and that's what you're smelling?

Maybe she's a smoker and uses perfume to cover smell of smoke. Wouldn't bother me though

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

I understand your concerns about excessive perfume. Most perfumes contain derivatives of petroleum. Ingredients include bezene, acetone, limonene, benzyl acetate... the list goes on. Some are classed as irritants but some are classed as hazardous or carcinogenic. I would be most worried about any child with asthma or other respiratory problem, children prone to migraine, or those with skin problems like excema.
    A little scent is not an issue, but when too much perfume/cologne/deodorant is used it can be a real problem for the wearer and those around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Perfumed hand soap?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Boo!!!

least shes not smelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Why would you bother to drag up a six month old thread to post that useless and unhelpful comment? Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement