Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda stations could be closed due to cuts

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

This is from the 19/09/2011

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0919/1224304357593.html

There is a total of 39 stations in Galway. The rummor is that Ros Muc, Inverin, Letterfrack, Leenane Lettermore, Recess and Roundstone in Conamara are to close. Carna was talked about but I heard that's to remain open. I can't give you any facts about this because the department of defence will not release the details.

My questions would be, how must does it cost to run a staion?
    How much would it cost to sent out two Guards to Ros Muc from Salthill (80 mile round trip)? Ros Muc comes under Salthill, therefore the guards would have to come from there.

IMO this is not cost saving. Should we all pack up our bags and move to the big smoke???

What do you think about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

39 stations seems like a lot. I live within 2 miles of a fairly decent sized Garda station here in Loughrea so I can't proffer too much of an opinion on the cost/proximity point you mention below.

Perhaps it might be an idea to email <mails found on this page> (Department of Justice rather than the Department of Defence) to see if they can give you a better idea of what the plans are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Starie1975 wrote: »
    This is from the 19/09/2011

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0919/1224304357593.html

There is a total of 39 stations in Galway. The rummor is that Ros Muc, Inverin, Letterfrack, Leenane Lettermore, Recess and Roundstone in Conamara are to close. Carna was talked about but I heard that's to remain open. I can't give you any facts about this because the department of defence will not release the details.

My questions would be, how must does it cost to run a staion?
    How much would it cost to sent out two Guards to Ros Muc from Salthill (80 mile round trip)? Ros Muc comes under Salthill, therefore the guards would have to come from there.

IMO this is not cost saving. Should we all pack up our bags and move to the big smoke???

What do you think about this?

Personally this is only the first of many cuts that will effect rural Ireland longer term they will focus on services provided by the state such as Medical/Educational services etc its expensive to house, maintain buildings and of course the labor cost etc

Longer term regardless of cost my concern is the impact this has on the wider community, when things go wrong there will likely be a very apparent lack of Garda presence as time & distance is now going to have to be factored in.

The community will now be forced to travel a distance for basic services provided by the Gardaí. Even the basic security perhaps comfort people from the community may take from having the presence of the Gardai there. On a more serious note the lack of presence could result in increase in crime criminals know that there won't be a presence or delayed presence due to time. The list is endless really

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Garda stations; such timing! Must do a U-turn on this. Methamphetamine's getting into the country for the first time and this will only ease its spread everywhere quicker, imho. ((

Policy is certainly not wise.

http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-hurt-by-gang-high-on-crystal-meth-2900416.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

Garda stations to be closed?

about time too.
    most of them are a waste of space, and are more concerned about collecting their fat pay-checks than the welfare of the public.

there was a time when i used to phone them reporting "incidents", but tbh i've given up such is their unbelievably ignorant attitude.

throw a few of them on the dole, and perhaps they might shape up.

i wouldn't hold my breath though.;)

about time too.
    most of them are a waste of space, and are more concerned about collecting their fat pay-checks than the welfare of the public.

there was a time when i used to phone them reporting "incidents", but tbh i've given up such is their unbelievably ignorant attitude.

I would like to think that the majority are trying there best, the numbers employed will decrease as some will retire etc and there won't be any recruitment in the near future which will cost us society far more in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

about time too.

if you decide to change your mind on holding your breath, try holding it for about an hour and do society a favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Bosco boy wrote: »
    if you decide to change your mind on holding your breath, try holding it for about an hour and do society a favour!

My_left_leg views might be a bitter sounding but how many of us live in rural areas were your local garda station is manned only by the electronic push button microphone. In my area the guards park their cars there to travel to the big station. The station is very rarely used. If you ring for a squad car or hopin theres a guard in the local station you will be told the squad car is in the wide vicinity ie be with in 40 min etc.

So itd be no surprise if some stations are shut down.

Bosco boy wrote: »

see that's exactly the sort of attitute i'm referring to.
    i rest my case.:D

dev100 wrote: »
    My_left_leg views might be a bitter sounding but how many of us live in rural areas were your local garda station is manned only by the electronic push button microphone. In my area the guards park their cars there to travel to the big station. The station is very rarely used. If you ring for a squad car or hopin theres a guard in the local station you will be told the squad car is in the wide vicinity ie be with in 40 min etc.

So itd be no surprise if some stations are shut down.

no Dev i'm not at all bitter, just stating the obvious. many guards are overpaid, lazy morons.:cool:

no Dev i'm not at all bitter, just stating the obvious. many guards are overpaid, lazy morons.:cool:

Tut tut we cant all be as blunt as you Some boardses have a sensitive disposition:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From this point on - any Garda bashing and you go to jail for a while.
    Feel free to discuss the implications of station closures but general bashing isn't on (I would have thought that was pretty obvious but guess not).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

All I can speak about is the station we are trying to save in Ros Muc.

We’ve had a number of protests - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqYK3IOnQc

My left leg – What you might think that's true for your area but you can’t tar everyone with the same brush. We want our guard (or any guard) to stay in our area and that can be seen from the number of protests we've had and the wide range of age groups attending. We don’t want our station closed and we are going to fight to save it.

All I can speak about is the station we are trying to save in Ros Muc.

We’ve had a number of protests - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqYK3IOnQc

My left leg – What you might think that's true for your area but you can’t tar everyone with the same brush. We want our guard (or any guard) to stay in our area and that can be seen from the number of protests we've had and the wide range of age groups attending. We don’t want our station closed and we are going to fight to save it.

Seen the link my mammy sent it to me via fb but shame it was difficult to hear anything that was being said

I also couldn't believe the small number that turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Why not combine post office/garda station/social welfare collection point? - you get the gist.

A one stop shop, at least power, rental, management costs are shared.

Also deters post office robberies.

Triangla wrote: »
    Why not combine post office/garda station/social welfare collection point? - you get the gist.

A one stop shop, at least power, rental, management costs are shared.

Also deters post office robberies.

Again Cost! :D though long term that wouldn't be a bad idea like a little mini market though hmmm not to mention a few disgruntled retail owners having the post office is a good source of indirect income for retailers (damn chocolate displays!)

nicechick! wrote: »
    Seen the link my mammy sent it to me via fb but shame it was difficult to hear anything that was being said

I also couldn't believe the small number that turned out!

Sound quality not great but you get the gist. My camera won't be the best for sound. At time of filming there was about 60 there but there was over 100 there over the two hours that Friday evening.

The day TG4 shot for the Nuacht there were only 20 as TG4 only gave them half an hour notice.

I will add the link to the FB page later (I'm I allowed??)

Are these stations manned 24/7 that are due to be closed? If not, then they are like my local area. The patrol car does all the work. The little one man barracks makes no economic sense to keep it open

dev100 wrote: »
    Are these stations manned 24/7 that are due to be closed? If not, then they are like my local area. The patrol car does all the work. The little one man barracks makes no economic sense to keep it open

Praytell Dev what makes economic sense?

From the small bit I remember in school (not much)!

Economic = how wealth is driven/developed & managed keeping these buildings open incurs cost it won't add value financially to Ireland's current or future economic state

I think (IMO) that he's saying that the policing is done on the ground rather then the use of the buildings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

nicechick! wrote: »

From the small bit I remember in school (not much)!

Economic = how wealth is driven/developed & managed keeping these buildings open incurs cost it won't add value financially to Ireland's current or future economic state

I think (IMO) that he's saying that the policing is done on the ground rather then the use of the buildings

there's a social aspect to it as well as economic, the fact that there is a local station means a direct local link with the public, many of the gardai in these small stations are very involved in the community in other ways and this is benifical to the community and organisation alike. It's also a source of comfort to elderly and vunerable people in an area that there is a station even if it's only opened occassionally. It might be economical on paper but not a wise move in the long run for society! Most people posting here are probally not of that age bracket or vunerable so it's easy be secure for them and dismiss the need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

the garda staion in inverin is closed 90% of the time anyways, so it won't make that much of a difference. how much will the gov. save by closing 200 garda stations?

same with the one in my village, closed most of the time and then there 3 much larger stations within an 8 miles radius.

Much like Galway airport, there's zero logic to keeping these open

Advertisement