Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storing carrots

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to leave carrots in the ground for a while yet or should i pull and store them? What is the best way of storing them i was told to freeze them but im not sure ?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi John,

The first step to leaving carrots in the ground for later harvest in the winter is to make sure that the garden bed that the carrots are growing in is well weeded. This will make sure that while you are keeping the carrots alive, you do not also keep the weeds alive for next year.
    The next step for storing carrots for winter in the ground is to heavily mulch the bed where the carrots are growing with straw or leaves. Make sure that the mulch is pushed securely against the tops of the carrots.
    Be warned that when you are overwintering carrots in the ground, the carrot tops will eventually die off in the cold. The carrot root below will be just fine and will taste fine after the tops die, but you may have trouble finding the carrot roots after this. You may want to mark the locations of the carrots before you mulch because of this.

Hope This is of help to you!!:D

Paul @ Connacht Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Pull them, cut off the tops. Store them layered in a box or barrell of slightly damp sand. Make sure they do not touch off one another. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

BeeDI wrote: »
    Pull them, cut off the tops. Store them layered in a box or barrell of slightly damp sand. Make sure they do not touch off one another. :p

This is the most frequently recommended method but tbh I have never really had that much luck with it.

Advertisement