Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat allergies

• 28-09-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

So a couple of you may know, I recently decided to get a kitten...I did, and I love my lil dude but the only problem is-turns out I've developed a cat allergy that I didn't know I had!! I'm absolutely gutted because I can't be near him for long without my eyes swelling and streaming and itchy, sneezes, and if he catches me with his claws at all it goes into really itchy welts. He doesnt even have to be around for the sniffles to start. It feels like I want to tear my skin and eyes off. I reacted like this to a cat a few years ago, but because I had my own cats when I was younger and there wasnt a bother on me, I thought it was just that one...
    Im very reluctant to take allergy tablets as Ive as kidney problem and supposed to avoid tablets unless absolutely neccesary. Hes an indoor cat so putting him outside isnt an option...Im debating giving him to a new home while hes still a kitten because he'd be easier to rehome now rather than an adult (and hes a proper beauty) or finding a solution! I REALLY hope someone has one because it would break my heart to give him to someone else...Any ideas??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mmel

It might get easier with time as you get used to him. I'm allergic to our cats and found it got a lot better over the summer when I was using a nasal spray for hayfever so a nasal spray might be an option? I'm free of the hayfever now so not using it. I'm sneezing the odd time and my eyes are a bit itchy but as long as the house is kept well hoovered and dusted it's manageable. The cats are not allowed upstairs at all so there are no issues with allergens on bedding/carpets, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I live in a 2bed apartment, so even though he has his own room his dander seems to be everywhere and I only hoovered yesterday. I feel its be cruel to not give him the run of the house (apart from my own bedroom) and I dont have storeys to seperate. Ive had him for a week and it seems to be getting worse rather than better which is what has me worrying!
    Im scared of leaving it too long and getting too attached and this not getting better. Im sitting here covered in red itchy welts all over my arms/feet and streaming/congested to hell and hes only been in the same room as me for 20 minutes! I dont wanna not give him the attention he deserves but he has me in bits every time I do...not sure how long I could keep it up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RainbowJack

We got 2 kittens about 6 weeks ago and my OH reacted the same way as you seem to be. We don't let the kittens into the bedrooms (but if OH out sometimes we sneak them up for my daughters bedtime story;)), we got a vicks air purifier for the room they are mostly in and doctor has prescribed OH nasal spray and eye drops as the antihistamines were not agreeing with him. It has improved to an extent - eyes not itchy and sore anymore and sneezing has calmed down, so he will tolerate being in the same room as the kittens for short periods.

If you go and see your doc and ask them to prescribe you nasal spray and eye drops it will definitely alleviate the symptoms without you having to take tablets. I'm probably not going to describe this very well but the nasal spray builds up immunity and you don't have to take it as often once it starts to build up.

Sorry if this is long-winded but we've been to the doc's 3 times in the last 6 weeks trying to sort something out without having to get rid of our ickle babies!

Best of luck with it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Blissy

I read somewhere recently that its not actual cat hair that people are allergic to but something in their saliva which they spread onto their hair while cleaning themselves. Not sure how true it is but apparently it helps to frequently clean your cat down with a damp cloth to remove the saliva. Maybe try that for a week and see if there is any improvement.

Thanks for all replies. I went to my doctor yesterday and had a long chat about it, and because of my kidney problems he reccomends rehoming, as because hes an indoor theres very little avoidance-it was a choice of humidifiers in every room plus allergy tablets or this. Its a really hard decision but Im going to do it while hes still just a kitten as theres more chance of finding him a happy home and getting him settled.
    Im really gutted, because I grew up with cats and was really looking forward to having my own again-but I cant give him the love and attention he needs right now without scratching/throat closing up etc.
    I wasnt aware that you could develop allergies but lesson learned now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Azureus wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies. I went to my doctor yesterday and had a long chat about it, and because of my kidney problems he reccomends rehoming, as because hes an indoor theres very little avoidance-it was a choice of humidifiers in every room plus allergy tablets or this. Its a really hard decision but Im going to do it while hes still just a kitten as theres more chance of finding him a happy home and getting him settled.
    Im really gutted, because I grew up with cats and was really looking forward to having my own again-but I cant give him the love and attention he needs right now without scratching/throat closing up etc.
    I wasnt aware that you could develop allergies but lesson learned now :(

Thats such a difficult decision to make, fair play. Your probably right to find a home now, as it gives the kitten time to get used to someone new and you wont be too attached. I was with the doc yesterday and I might be allergic to my cat, I've had him 4 years but had a lot of sinus problems in that time. I could never be without him now so I'll have to suffer through.:)

I just gave him to his new mammy there-Im in tears. But I know hes going to a great home so it makes it easier. I was just scared of not being able to give him the attention he deserved-I fell asleep with him beside me yesterday and woke up with my throat closed covered in hives, so it just wasnt feasible. Gonna miss the hell outta him though-even after just 10 days, but the new owner promises to keep me updated on him.
    Hopefully sinus tabs/allergy tablets will ease your allergy symptoms-after 4 years there would be no way in hell that I could part from my pet!! I was watching a tv show on it there the other night-strange addictions-and there was a girl who had 20 cats and allergies. She had got bronchitis twice every year because of them, but wouldnt part from them. Now THATS pet dedication :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RainbowJack

Azureus wrote: »
    I just gave him to his new mammy there-Im in tears. But I know hes going to a great home so it makes it easier. I was just scared of not being able to give him the attention he deserved-I fell asleep with him beside me yesterday and woke up with my throat closed covered in hives, so it just wasnt feasible. Gonna miss the hell outta him though-even after just 10 days, but the new owner promises to keep me updated on him.
    Hopefully sinus tabs/allergy tablets will ease your allergy symptoms-after 4 years there would be no way in hell that I could part from my pet!! I was watching a tv show on it there the other night-strange addictions-and there was a girl who had 20 cats and allergies. She had got bronchitis twice every year because of them, but wouldnt part from them. Now THATS pet dedication :o

Just wanted to say sorry for how it turned out and feel so bad for you. At least you'll be able to breathe easy again:)

Advertisement