Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arabian Stallions at stud

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone on here knows where I can find an updated list of arab stallions standing at stud for next year? (or even this year/last year - just so I can see who is out there)
    There seems to be a real lack of any good arab stallions, I'm finding it almost impossible to find something.

Otherwise does anyone on here know of any arab stud farms/equestrian centres that may focus on the breed and who could have a good stallion or two standing? At this point I'm willing to travel anywhere in the country if the stallion is good enough.

I'll be looking to breed my arab next summer - shes a pure bred arabian (crabbet lines - polish strain) and I would love a purebred daughter/son from her, her disposition is amazing!

Any help at all is appreciated! I have only seen two stallions being advertised last summer ... surely there is more than two arabian stallion in the country!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Possibly <snip>. Frank Glynn.

Mod edit: Please keep phone numbers to PMs, please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

You could try A.I. as well, that would broaden your horizon outside Ireland.

headmaster wrote: »

oops, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Hi,
    I've seem a few advertised on donedeal.ie . Go to Horses for sale section, then go to the arab section. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

eorna wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've seem a few advertised on donedeal.ie . Go to Horses for sale section, then go to the arab section. :)

Yes but not good stallions, I'm looking for an arabian stallion

• Advertisement

You could try A.I. as well, that would broaden your horizon outside Ireland.

was considering AI now, cost wise I'm wondering which one is more economical though, reason why I'm looking for stallion becase I want a nosey at the stud fees :D

headmaster wrote: »

PM please?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

He can be contacted through Killossery Lodge Stud in North County Dublin.

He can be contacted through Killossery Lodge Stud in North County Dublin.

The above is incorrect as regards Frank Glynn.
    Contact can be made at,
    Newtown Stud,
    Ballindine.
    Claremorris.
    Co Mayo.

His RDS AWARD winning PURE ARAB stallion can be purchased through AI. Tell him Valentino sent you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shanagarry80

There is an arab list in the irish studbook but I don't think the 2012 edition is out yet.

What are your aims for the foal Jenny? Red House Condor, though old, was still standing last year. He throws quite big though, and has been used more for crosses to throw jumpers.

There was also a stallion in Kerry called Shariko. I'm not sure if he's still standing as he's pushing on too, but he's a fab looker and mover. We got an amazing foal off him, one of his first. He's listed as a PBA but he's actually full bred (his dam was registered as ISH in the days before DNA testing but she was full bred arab). His breeding is here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shariko

• Advertisement

There is an arab list in the irish studbook but I don't think the 2012 edition is out yet.

What are your aims for the foal Jenny? Red House Condor, though old, was still standing last year. He throws quite big though, and has been used more for crosses to throw jumpers.

There was also a stallion in Kerry called Shariko. I'm not sure if he's still standing as he's pushing on too, but he's a fab looker and mover. We got an amazing foal off him, one of his first. He's listed as a PBA but he's actually full bred (his dam was registered as ISH in the days before DNA testing but she was full bred arab). His breeding is here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shariko

I'm looking for a light type to show in hand first and then break for ridden arab classes. I know red house condor, but I find his foals are very chunky looking - my mare is already on the chunky side haha I want to lighten her up.

My mare is a Shariko granddaughter - might be a bit incestous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shanagarry80

Ooh, very interesting that your mare has Shariko bloodlines! I don't think that he was put to all that many arabs, he was mostly used for crosses afaik (e.g. ours was a Connemare x). Where exactly is the Shariko connection?

I haven't seen any foals thrown by RHC from arab mares, only crosses.

Given your mare's high crabbet % it may be worth importing semen alright to get some genetic diversity.

Ooh, very interesting that your mare has Shariko bloodlines! I don't think that he was put to all that many arabs, he was mostly used for crosses afaik (e.g. ours was a Connemare x). Where exactly is the Shariko connection?

I haven't seen any foals thrown by RHC from arab mares, only crosses.

Given your mare's high crabbet % it may be worth importing semen alright to get some genetic diversity.

Shariko is her dams Sire - Dams name is Comets Shadow - dam's Dam was Djamella - a daughter from Djammal who was the son of Carmargue.

She does have some nice names in her, the mare Shariko was put to in order to produce my mares dam was full arab.

I was thinking importing semen alright - there is a serious lack of crabbets around ireland, but in the states and even in UK and europe they're much mroe common.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Shariko is her dams Sire - Dams name is Comets Shadow - dam's Dam was Djamella - a daughter from Djammal who was the son of Carmargue.

She does have some nice names in her, the mare Shariko was put to in order to produce my mares dam was full arab.

I was thinking importing semen alright - there is a serious lack of crabbets around ireland, but in the states and even in UK and europe they're much mroe common.

Hi Jenny, sorry to butt in here but my horse and your horse must be cousins or something. Then I suppose there is a good chance of that considering the small amount of arabs in the country. My mare's dam is Dawn's Shadow by Shariko and Djamella. Her sire is Valitas Gold by Golden Cavelier and Lahtifah. So there you are!:)

Sorry My Donedeal suggestion wasn't very good. I had seen some lovely arab stallions on it in the past.
    Good luck finding a suitable match!

eorna wrote: »
    Hi Jenny, sorry to butt in here but my horse and your horse must be cousins or something. Then I suppose there is a good chance of that considering the small amount of arabs in the country. My mare's dam is Dawn's Shadow by Shariko and Djamella. Her sire is Valitas Gold by Golden Cavelier and Lahtifah. So there you are!:)

Sorry My Donedeal suggestion wasn't very good. I had seen some lovely arab stallions on it in the past.
    Good luck finding a suitable match!

Haha no way they definitly sound like they'd be related, I'd imagine Dawn's Shadow would be comet's Shadow sister! my mare is brown Shadow haha.

I'd be interested in seeing any pics, have any handy? Want to see if there's any similiarities!
    Yes there was one stallion I saw on donedeal - a 2005 polish stallion who looks like he has a lot of promise - I'm going to go up to take a look at him when it comes to breeding if all else fails on the crabbet side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 saphire1979

Ger Brady, Laughill, Belleek, Co Fermanagh has an absolute beautiful pure bred 6 yr old chestnut Arabian stallion called Bashir Izz Al Din, stud fee 180.
    Contact Ger on <snip> Mod edit: Please keep numbers to PMs. Thanks

Advertisement