Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom don't read emails properly.

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I was with Chorus and my wireless printer and iphone worked fine but when I moved to Eircom they stopped working. It seems it is a problem with the encryption on the modem but when I try to change this I get an error message.
    Have written to Eircom about this a couple of times but the replies I get suggest they are not reading the emails properly. I have a Zyxel and a Mac and make this clear in my emails but in their replies they refer to a Netopia modem and a PC. When I pointed this out I got a standard reply to visit FAQ.
    Slowly getting fed up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

seanoge wrote: »
    I was with Chorus and my wireless printer and iphone worked fine but when I moved to Eircom they stopped working. It seems it is a problem with the encryption on the modem but when I try to change this I get an error message.
    Have written to Eircom about this a couple of times but the replies I get suggest they are not reading the emails properly. I have a Zyxel and a Mac and make this clear in my emails but in their replies they refer to a Netopia modem and a PC. When I pointed this out I got a standard reply to visit FAQ.
    Slowly getting fed up.

Hi seanoge,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

The following Links should be helpful :

Set up Gaming and your WiFi Gadget

How to connect your wireless device to the internet

Find the Wireless Security Key - www.eircom.net/tutorials

Both eircom Modems, Zyxel and Netopia are quite similar. To change the wireless encryption type or change the wireless Security Key, it's just a matter of logging on to the modem's Web interface.

So just open your Internet browser and type the following IP address into the Internet browser's address bar : 192.168.1.254

and then press return / or click on Goto on your Internet browser.

If asked for a password, just type : 'broadband1' (in small letters)

You'll see a menu list, usually on the left hand side of the website :

Select 'wireless' and in the case of the Zyxel, Select 'Network' then choose 'Wireless'

then choose the drop down option and choose the wireless encryption type that you're 3rd party wifi device requires (contact your vendor or manufacturer of your device, if you're unsure what encryption type they require).

You can also change the 'Preshared Key' and /or 'SSID' ; which is probably a good idea.

Click Apply when finished and then connect your wireless device to the modem as directed by your wireless device instructions.

If this is unclear, then just look at the the website above : www.eircom.net/tutorials - Find the Security Key or 'Changing Wep to Wpa'.

Please contact eircom Technical Support if you have any difficulty :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Thanks Ant, already tried all that. I try to change from WPA-PSK to WPA and get the following " Authentication Server ID Format error". What's the point in phoning them up, surly they are all the same people dealing with the problems?
    Sean.

Thanks Ant, already tried all that. I try to change from WPA-PSK to WPA and get the following " Authentication Server ID Format error". What's the point in phoning them up, surly they are all the same people dealing with the problems?
    Sean.

Hi Sean,

Cheers. Not sure why you're getting that error. It's possible that your wireless device has a problem with this type of encryption. #

A question that comes to mind is:

Is it necessary for you to use WPA encryption as opposed to WPA-PSK, or Wep? Or is it a requirement of your particular wireless device? You may need to ask your device vendor for more information on this specifically.

A few 3rd party wireless devices I've come across, have had a similar problem with using some types of wireless encryption. For some reason, switching the encryption type, on the modem, to the less secure 'Wep' encryption, usually sorts this problem out. However, this would be best checked with your device vendor for their advice on this.

Other than that, if you need assistance with changing the encryption type or advice on wireless in general, please contact eircom Technical Support.

The following Support site on the eircom Forum may also be helpful for improving your wireless modem's range : Improve your Wireless Security

Kind regards,
    Ant

Me again, did as you said and phoned the helpline and asked how to change to WPA but was advised to change to 'Static WEP'. Did so and it was no help.
    The reason I want to use WPA and not WPA-PSK is that this problem seems to be pretty common and the cure seems to be WPA but although it shows you how to change the encryption on Eircom's help page it does not work. The printer worked Ok wirelessly before I joined Eircom and now it doesn't.

Me again, did as you said and phoned the helpline and asked how to change to WPA but was advised to change to 'Static WEP'. Did so and it was no help.
    The reason I want to use WPA and not WPA-PSK is that this problem seems to be pretty common and the cure seems to be WPA but although it shows you how to change the encryption on Eircom's help page it does not work. The printer worked Ok wirelessly before I joined Eircom and now it doesn't.

Hi seanoge,

Cheers again. ~From what you say, I would strongly recommend that you contact your wireless printer manufacturer for clear instructions on how to connect their device wirelessly.

I would agree that Wep Static is probably best in most of cases when dealing with wireless printers in particular. The wireless printer itself may need to be checked, or reset, to it's default settings; if it was previously setup to connect to the same or a different modem.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend setting up Wpa, as this is a more secure encryption type and your wireless printer may struggle to connect over this wireless encryptioin. You could also try a test with no wireless encryption at all.

If you've no problems connecting with other wireless equipment (e.g: laptop), then the problem looks like it's with the wireless printer itself. eircom Technical Support have checked your connection and have suggested that you try a different encryption to Wpa and use Wep Static to connect your wireless printer.

Try contacting the manufacturer, or check for a solution on the manufacturer's support website. They are bound to have come across this, as I have had very similar issues with my own wireless printer.

If you need more help /or advice regarding changing your wireless encryption type on the eircom router, please call into eircom Technical Support.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi Ant, have reset printer but same story. HP website have the problem and they solve it by changing to WAP or WAP2. I can't change to either of these without an error message, see above.
    As I said earlier I also cannot get my iphone to work as 'Remote' for my music so I think it's the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Ant, have reset printer but same story. HP website have the problem and they solve it by changing to WAP or WAP2. I can't change to either of these without an error message, see above.
    As I said earlier I also cannot get my iphone to work as 'Remote' for my music so I think it's the router.

Hi seanoge
    Ant is off today, but if you do suspect that this is a moden issue you should give our tech support team a call on 1890260260 as suggested by Ant and have them troubleshoot this issue with you. I know that you have written them before and recieved info relevant to pc rather than Mac, but I cannot add anymore to what has already been suggested. When you report this, if it is an eircom issue the tech support team will log a fault and give you a fault ref number. Post this and I can then chase the issue with support for you.
    Tony

Advertisement