Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb advice

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I sowed Glaskin's perpetual seeds in July and chose the three plants that are doing best. As it was late to be sowing these I've been potting them on and they are now in 2 lt pots of compost. They look happy and are putting up new stalks - there's about 5 or 6 on each one.
    Any advice what I should do now? I think they are still too small and tender to put in the ground and survive the wind and winter weather. So I was planning on potting them on into 5 lt pots in about a month and then over-winter them in my polytunnel. Then put them in the ground in February/March.
    Does that sound like a good plan? Or should they go into the ground?
    I've been reading that they like manure in the autumn. Would that be a good idea if I am keeping them in pots? Mixed into the compost/soil or as a mulch?
    I was also reading that you shouldn't pull stalks in the first year. As these were sown in July, would next summer qualify as year 2 and allow me to take a small crop?
    Thanks a lot for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

Rhubarb roots are fairly hardy, I would recommend putting them into ground and covering them completely with manure, the leaves will die off with frost and the manure will keep them protected and feed the roots

The recommendation is not to pick Rhubarb in year one and only selectively in year 2. I picked some in year 2 and my plants are thriving, trick is not to overdo it.

I just put a foot of manure over my plants on Saturday and we have the freezer stocked with Rhubarb to use over the winter

I am going to ry and force one or two plants next year and see results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Clare man wrote: »
    we have the freezer stocked with Rhubarb to use over the winter

So did you freeze the stalks uncooked, or cook the stalks and then freeze?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

wait4me wrote: »
    So did you freeze the stalks uncooked, or cook the stalks and then freeze?

Rhubarb can be frozen without cooking it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Rhubarb can be frozen without cooking it first.
    Excellent - thanks for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

We always freeze more rhubarb during the Summer than we eat.

There is something lovely and warming about a rhubarb crumble during the winter, more so than summer.

Compost heap loves the leaves during the Summer also.

Advertisement