Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card price drops, namely 6970

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Is there any way of guessing when the next graphics card price drops are going to occur ? Are there any new releases due ?

Want to upgrade for BF3 but dont know should I buy now or wait as long as possible. Buying a Razor mouse this week and a new monitor in the next 2 weeks so trying to get a good deal on a graphics card

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Next series are due out until early next year for both Nvidia and AMD. So doubt you will see much of a price drop this side of xmas.

What your GPU at the moment? and I guess more importantly what monitor are you planning on buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I have a XFX HD 4870 at the moment, my screen has given up the ghost so I have no dedicated monitor at the moment. I have been looking at 26in,27in Samsung syncmasters full hd but no decision has been made yet,

How about trying to balance things out.

You could save Eur100 by buying a 23-24inch HD monitor. And maybe sell your card for Eur50 or so. You could then get a 6870 for Eur150-160 or so and have a monitor and GPU setup ready for BF3. :)

Nice to have the 27inch monitor I agree but if you dont have the GPU to power it for games like BF3 its a bit of a waste.

Thanks, but even the 6850 should be plenty to power a 27in playing BF3 ?
    Im going from a 22in and the 24in is not a big jump up in size. Ideally I would like a 26,27 mounted on a bracket that can tilt and swing.
    Selling my current card would certainly help, and I have a custom cooler on it reducing all the noise which would add to the value of it. But I dont like selling graphics cards as I have had the new one bug out on me and then im stuck waiting for the replacement.
    I think I might take the leap for the 6970 and hopefully they wont drop a mad amount in the new year

Hay dont let me stop you from spending more money!

I was suggesting the 24inch out of price more so than for the GPU. But if you can stretch the extra Eur100 euros for the 6950 or 70 it would def be worth it.

And I am the same. I like to keep a spare PSU and GPU around just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I've noticed that the higher end AMD cards have been slowly increasing in price over the last 2 months.

6870: €140 -> €150
    6950 1GB: €190 -> €210
    6950 2GB: €210 -> €220
    6970: €270 -> €280

Why would they go up like that ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

stylie wrote: »
    Why would they go up like that ?

No idea, probably to make more money I suppose :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

My guess would be BF3.

stylie wrote: »
    I have a XFX HD 4870 at the moment, my screen has given up the ghost so I have no dedicated monitor at the moment. I have been looking at 26in,27in Samsung syncmasters full hd but no decision has been made yet,

Just see this for sale on adverts if ya interested in buying second hand

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/samsung-26-monitor-syncmaster-2693hm/991549

What ya know. There is a 6950 as well!

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/asus-2gb-6950-boxed-as-new/990538

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can buy a 6950 brand new cheaper than that price so they would want to reduce the price a lot
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/sapphire-technology-ati-radeon-6950-hd-800mhz-2gb-pci-express-hdmi--includes-dirt3--7K58.html?q=6950

yeah i bought my 6970 in March for €300 off HWV and the cheapest is now €305 so they haven't lost value at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

deconduo wrote: »
    I've noticed that the higher end AMD cards have been slowly increasing in price over the last 2 months.

6870: €140 -> €150
    6950 1GB: €190 -> €210
    6950 2GB: €210 -> €220
    6970: €270 -> €280

So has the i5 2500K. It hit a low of about €171 on HWV, and now it's nearing €185 again. RAM is creeping up, too.

Pity, because I just got the funds together for a new build. Would have cost about €30 less no time ago, and I'd have liked that in my pocket..

Advertisement