Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry gig guide.

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Further to the music discussion in the Tralee thread earlier in the week, why don't we use this thread to post up any upcoming gigs anywhere in the county in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Good idea!be very handy to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Right, to kick this off,
    Theres a charity gig on October 1st in the Grand hotel Tralee featuring,
    Avatar, Craiceann, and Lords of Strut.
    Admission 8eu
    9pm till Late
    Proceeds to The Smile Project.

4 Letter word

Meadowlands Hotel 29 September
    8Pm sharp
    Fully seated gig with support act Steve Clifford.

Check them out on Facebook

Friday 14th October.
    A night of Funk!
    Greyhound bar Tralee.

James Kennedy. Bass
    Gary Keane. Drums
    Nick Moloney. Keys
    Martin Schaerer. Percussion
    Ian o Doherty. Guitar

10PM Free in.
    This should be an excellent night.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Great idea, maybe it can be made sticky ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

was going to head along to this but heard it 16 buckaroos in , wtf ?
    4 Letter word

Meadowlands Hotel 29 September
    8Pm sharp
    Fully seated gig with support act Steve Clifford.

Check them out on Facebook

was going to head along to this but heard it 16 buckaroos in , wtf ?

Strong indeed. Anyone go to report back?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

This looks interesting...
    Friday 14th October.
    A night of Funk!
    Greyhound bar Tralee.

James Kennedy. Bass
    Gary Keane. Drums
    Nick Moloney. Keys
    Martin Schaerer. Percussion
    Ian o Doherty. Guitar

10PM Free in.
    This should be an excellent night.

Poster for that fundraiser tomorrow night.
    ensvW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Strong indeed. Anyone go to report back?

I was there. I'm going to be a bit biased here as my 2 brothers are in the band!

They wanted to do something different seeing as it was their debut gig.

Considering that the music scene in Tralee is not what it used to be (we all remember the Old Oak,Rambling House,ClubHead a few years ago), the venues for bands to play in town is very limited. It seems that every bar and nightclub is full of DJ's playing absolute rubbish every night and weekend(The Abbey, I'm looking at you!).

So instead of playing in a bar, which is hassle in itself considering you don't get a lot of time to soundcheck, you get treated like s***e by the owners,you have people there who wouldn't have any interest in listening to original music and people who only want to hear 'Sex on Fire' etc. so they decided not to go down that route.

Instead they decided to rent out a room in the Meadowlands, get a proper lighting system, create their own visuals for the show, hire a proper sound engineer,photographer, decent video cameras to record the gig, make some CD's etc. Of course all these cost money which is why the price was high.

Anyway, it was a great night. Around 200 people turned up and the feedback from them was very positive. I presume most of you would have seen The Rising playing in town over the last 2 years and you all know what good musicians they are.

I think they might be playing another gig before Christmas somewhere in the town, not 100% sure but if they are I'll let ye all know!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that unkymo. It makes a whole lotta sense. I'm **** sick of cover bands playing crap too, ill have to try and make the next gig. Are the rising still going?

They were in the Blasket last night.

unkymo wrote: »
    They were in the Blasket last night.

Cool,
    Me being parked up in hospital kinda limits my gig watching this weekend. Missed the Avatar gig too.
    Ah well!
    Next Avatar gig is in Cork on the 29th IIRC.

From Oracles Facebook page
    ORACLE Tralee,
    have been rehearsing with Nick Maloney (Piano), Martin Hurley (Bass) and John Moriarty (Percussion) for the gig wednesday 12th october in the Brandon(part of the Christy Hennessy festival-more details ro follow)the songs are really coming together should be a great night.

Christy Hennessy Music Festival Wednesday 12th - Sat 15 October 2011
    The Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) has announced a series of music events in Tralee, Co. Kerry this October 12th to 15th in celebration of the life and music of Tralee born songwriter and performer Christie Hennessy. The events will take place in association with Tralee Town Council, Holiday Tralee, Radio Kerry, Tralee Advertiser, Kerry’s Eye, and The Brandon Hotel.

“It is fitting that Tralee plays host to this inaugural Christie Hennessy Celebration as Christie was one of our most celebrated sons. With planned workshops and concerts and I would imagine, there will be some impromptu music sessions in the local pubs, Tralee will be showcasing some of its wonderful talent. Christie Hennessy spoke through his music and it’s through music we will pay tribute to him. With the backing of The Irish Music Rights Organisation, Holiday Tralee and local businesses this will be a musical experience of a lifetime.” Mayor Grace O’Donnell.
    “My Dad was a dedicated song smith/writer all his life. Whenever he encountered an aspiring songwriter, he willingly gave his time and encouragement in helping them to express what they were attempting to say in words and music. So it is a very fitting tribute that the Christie Hennessy Celebration event is being held in his home town of Tralee as, in essence, it could not be any closer to his heart”, added Hermione Hennessy.

PROGRAM OF EVENTS
    The celebration will be launched by Tralee’s own Francie Conway on Wednesday 12th October, at The Brandon Hotel, with performances of well-known Christie Hennessy songs by local artists. The evening will culminate in a showcase of local singer-songwriters.

Thursday 13th October will see a series of Live Music Sessions take place at various venues throughout Tralee. Performances will culminate in a live cover of a Christie Hennessy song in each venue at 11pm.

On Saturday 15th October, the final of the Christie Hennessy Song Competition will take place in the Brandon Hotel. Ten finalists selected from almost 200 entries across Ireland will perform their original songs in front of a live audience and a panel of expert judges. The winning songwriter will be presented with a cheque for €1,000 on the night, courtesy of Holiday Tralee plus a recording session at the renowned Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin with writer/producer Rob Burke, courtesy of Tony Perrey and the Windmill Lane team.

From 12th to 14th October, IMRO will host a series of Music Workshops for local secondary school students. The workshops will focus on songwriting, production and performance and will be hosted by singer-songwriters, Luán Parle and Mickey Harte, and songwriter/producer, Gavin Ralston.
    “The inspiration for hosting a celebration of the life and music of Christie Hennessy has its roots in the unveiling of the fine statue of the great man in Tralee. As a national organisation representing the rights of music creators and also being a strong advocate of new music creation in Ireland, IMRO is very proud to be working with so many local businesses and organisations in Tralee to keep the spirit of Christie and his music very much alive.” Keith Donald, IMRO Chairman.
    “We in Tralee are very excited about the Christie Hennessy celebration that will be taking place in October. Christie Hennessy is one of Tralee’s most famous sons and he was a musical genius. IMRO and Francie Conway have put together an innovative and varied musical programme in honour of Christie and we hope that fans of Christie from all over the world will come to Tralee to be part of the celebration. Last year a sculpture of Christie Hennessy was unveiled in Tralee which attracted a huge crowd we now want to develop a festival in his honour in his birthplace of Tralee. We have some fabulous musical talent lined up and we will ensure a warm welcome for all fans of Christies’ music”
    Kieran Ruttledge, Holiday Tralee

PDF File of the brochure here
    http://www.brandonhotel.ie/cmsFiles/christy_hennessy_booklet_inside.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I love the way The Abbey is jumping on board for the Christie Hennessey Festival,talk about jumping on the bandwagon,I cant remember the last time that pub did live music,be worth paying the 5 euro in if it was live music every weekend instead of a DJ.

Kerry is full of talented bands,pubs like Sean Ogs,The Blasket,Paddy Macs,Baileys Corner and new pub An Teach Beag are keeping the live music scene alive in Tralee,fair play to them.

If anyone else knows of any other gigs about the county please post away..

Righteous Dudes reunion gig tomorrow night in the Brogue Inn Tralee, they played tonight also but its a bit late to post that now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I was out tonight I only heard about this afterwards! Fudge! Should be a great gig friday night though. I'm afraid I'll miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hi all. Fling will be playing in McCarthys Bar in Dingle on the 21st October. The band play a mix of trad, bluegrass and good ol' rock 'n roll. Here is a link to their soundcloud page where you can read more about the band and hear some of their music
    http://soundcloud.com/fling-1

• Advertisement

Righteous Dudes reunion gig tomorrow night in the Brogue Inn Tralee, they played tonight also but its a bit late to post that now...

Excellent gig tonight, the lads were on top form.
    Thanks for your post galwaybabe, keep the gigs coming everyone!

For ONE night only, fresh in from a tour of NY are Isolated Frequency !!! having packed out the bars on tour, Isolated Frquency are playing this Saturday night in The Brogue Inn Tralee. This is one night of music you do not want to miss!! Isolated Frquency will be joined on the night by two of The Righteous Dudes, John Buggy & Mossy o Shea!!

4 Letter word are playing two gigs in the Meadowlands hotel Tralee on Fri 18th and Sat 19th November. Check them out on Facebook for ticket information.
    I haven't seen them live but have heard nothing but good things so I'd say it would be well worth trying to make one of the gigs.
    It's also great to see a local band trying something different by booking a room for a gig instead of the usual pub affair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The Mudcat Blues band are playing Courtney's in Killarney the 11th of November starting at 10pm. Great blues rock band, worth checking them out if you are in the area!

Yakult wrote: »
    The Mudcat Blues band are playing Courtney's in Killarney the 11th of November starting at 10pm. Great blues rock band, worth checking them out if you are in the area!

Indeed they are. I have one if their CDs, 'Spies in the house of Judah' and it's excellent.

Indeed they are. I have one if their CDs, 'Spies in the house of Judah' and it's excellent.

Haha that's going back a long time ago!! :o

Yakult wrote: »
    Haha that's going back a long time ago!! :o

How old? Is there any more albums?

How old? Is there any more albums?

Talking at least 5-6 years I'd say.
    No more albums unfortunately, but I hear they could be doing a new one. Here's hoping, talented bunch of guys!

If anyone is looking for a good Jive there are 2 events with 2 savage DJ's this week which might be of interest...

The Really Rather Retro Romp in Dingle on Thursday, with the DJ from the Gramaphone Disco

And the Kerry Film Festival, Festival Club in Tralee on Friday night, with Gary Baus

• Advertisement

4 Letter word are playing two gigs in the Meadowlands hotel Tralee on Fri 18th and Sat 19th November. Check them out on Facebook for ticket information.
    I haven't seen them live but have heard nothing but good things so I'd say it would be well worth trying to make one of the gigs.
    It's also great to see a local band trying something different by booking a room for a gig instead of the usual pub affair.

Tickets are only 10 Euro and not 16 Euro!

Advertisement