Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Ireland Membership

• 28-09-2011 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

If I get Cycling Ireland membership now (€10 introductory membership), will it only be valid for the next 3 months (2011) or will it be valid to this time next year?

Cycling club has advised that I have it before going out on introductory spins with them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

reilig wrote: »
    If I get Cycling Ireland membership now (€10 introductory membership), will it only be valid for the next 3 months (2011) or will it be valid to this time next year?

Cycling club has advised that I have it before going out on introductory spins with them.

only valid to the end of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It'll only be valid until the end of the year then you'll have to pay full whack in January. The cycling club should kind of let you away with it till then.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

seamus wrote: »
    It'll only be valid until the end of the year then you'll have to pay full whack in January. The cycling club should kind of let you away with it till then.

I've been party to discussions about this in my own club and while letting people away with it would certainly be the easiest thing to do, we just don't have any scope for it. It's all about insurance. People need to be members of Cycling Ireland to be covered. If someone has an accident on a club spin and they aren't covered, then the club can land itself in hot water.

You can join CI for 2012 from November onwards. So what we're saying to people is either wait till November or buy 2011 CI membership (which is €10 for an introductory licence) to cover yourself for October.

Yes, that means you won't be able to avaiil of the introductory offer next year, but if you're joining a club planning on doing any racing next year, you won't be able to avail of this anyway.

The easiest solution to the problem would be if CI took into account that most clubs start taking on new members in October and started taking 2012 memberships a month earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Thanks guys. I'll probably go ahead and get it. I'll join the club next year. membership includes CI membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Are you not allowed some intoductory spins with a club before deciding whether to get CI license as well as club membership.

I know that my own club at this time of the year does discounted membership for new joiners (but that doesnt apply to the CI membership).

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Are you not allowed some intoductory spins with a club before deciding whether to get CI license as well as club membership.

I know that my own club at this time of the year does discounted membership for new joiners (but that doesnt apply to the CI membership).

Basically what they said is that I'm welcome to come on spins with them for the next couple of months without joining the club. They advise CI membership for the insurance aspects (to protect myself they said). Membership renewal in the club is in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

The club is insured to take out guests for a number of spins if the club is a paid up affilated members of CI. The broker recommends that you keep a log of the guests who came on the spin with you. Name, address, spin and whatever else you feel is required.

I dont know the exact number of spins you would allow without CI membership.

As discussed elsewhere the fees will be voted on at the AGM in November so there may be arise of approx €5 for non-racing and introductory offers. Hopefully with the discounts that should be available to members the additional cost will be offset in other cycling and non-cycling areas.

morana wrote: »
    The club is insured to take out guests for a number of spins if the club is a paid up affilated members of CI. The broker recommends that you keep a log of the guests who came on the spin with you. Name, address, spin and whatever else you feel is required.

I dont know the exact number of spins you would allow without CI membership.

As discussed elsewhere the fees will be voted on at the AGM in November so there may be arise of approx €5 for non-racing and introductory offers. Hopefully with the discounts that should be available to members the additional cost will be offset in other cycling and non-cycling areas.

Thanks for that. It fills me in a bit on the stuff that I was wondering.
    I'll go and do some of the spins first so and then get the club's advice on it.

Advertisement