Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digging a hole in the ground, fills with water..

• 28-09-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to dig a hole in the ground about 215 cm down, I hit water at 196 cm, no matter what I do, it keeps filling up, but only to the depth of 196 cm.. seems I have hit the water table, it is clean water.

how do I stop the hole from filling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you have hit the water table and assuming you do not have it in your gift to reroute the local river system, I do not think you will be able to stop that hole filling with water. However, all is not lost. I suppose the next step will depend on what you are digging the hole for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I am digging the hole to locate the end of a sewer pipe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

cheap submersible pump from Argos or somewhere similiar

I have one of these pumps https://www.poortwatersport.nl/images/uploads/products/GS20267.JPG

would this be OK to use, or would the muck in the water ruin it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

as long as it has a filter i presume it would be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

If you dig another hole beside your excavation down below the 2150mm, insert a piece of 9" pipe vertically and then back fill it. Throw down a few shovel fulls of coarse hardcore down the pipe. Then insert the pump in the pipe, you will draw down the water table around the hole keeping it dry without clogging the pump.

How fast is the water coming in? You might need a bigger pump but try the one you have first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yikes at €1200 I wouldn't risk it!!
    A dirty water submersible pump can be got in Argos for under €30 and it'll cope with all the grit and pebbles you're bound to meet when the water level gets low or a bit of clay falls in.

Try a hire shop too.

there is a layer of sand, obviously this is the layer of sand around the sewer pipe, you can see the water seeping out of the layer of sand and it only comes up to the top of this layer, I pumped the water out and it filled again within 20 to 30 minutes
    Max Moment wrote: »
    If you dig another hole beside your excavation down below the 2150mm, insert a piece of 9" pipe vertically and then back fill it. Throw down a few shovel fulls of coarse hardcore down the pipe. Then insert the pump in the pipe, you will draw down the water table around the hole keeping it dry without clogging the pump.

How fast is the water coming in? You might need a bigger pump but try the one you have first.

the old pump I got is similar to the one I showed a picture of, it cost me €30 second hand and can handle particles in the water no bigger than 3mm.. all that is down there in the water is sand
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yikes at €1200 I wouldn't risk it!!
    A dirty water submersible pump can be got in Argos for under €30 and it'll cope with all the grit and pebbles you're bound to meet when the water level gets low or a bit of clay falls in.

Try a hire shop too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

110v from a hire stop.

ponstar.jpg

• Advertisement

I pumped the water out, there is a layer of thick sludge 60 to 70cm deep, it's like quick sand, you just sink into and have to dig yourself out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

CamperMan wrote: »
    I am digging the hole to locate the end of a sewer pipe..

I reckon you're pretty close:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon you're pretty close:pac:

do you think so?

what kind of pump should I hire to pump this thick sand / sludge out of the hole.. it's a real pain in the butt to dig out.. is there such a pump available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

what kind of pump should I hire to pump this thick sand / sludge out of the hole.. it's a real pain in the butt to dig out.. is there such a pump available?

Slurry spreader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

You might find a Hire shop that has some sort of petrol (or diesel) powered Diaphram pump, they tend to be able to handle solids quite well.

Your best bet might be to make a slurry out of the mess thats in the hole by flling it up with water then pumping out and straight back into the hole so your churning the sludge up and mixing it with the water. Pump the lot out then repeat.

Advertisement