Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions about firearm application form

Options
  • 28-09-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Hello,

i'm looking for some advice on 2 items:

I want to take up shooting/hunting and have been in contact with my local rifle range and I have also been in contact with my local gun club too about membership. I would like to buy a .22 rifle 2nd hand from a gun dealer.

1.i have not owned a gun before (but have plenty of exp handling and shooting them with my brother and shooting on gun ranges when i travel to the USA on work projects). Is it best for me to be a member of a rifle range BEFORE i apply for the gun license or is being a member of a local gun club sufficient ?. obviously, costs need to be considered.

2.there is a section on the application form about medical conditions and seeing as i am a type 1 diabetic, do i need to worry about this ?. I am in very good health with no issues, but i am just wondering about this section of the form. i will provide my GP's info as requested on the form.

any advice would be greatly appreciated on the 2 matters mentioned.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you want a licence and are not in a member of a game club or have permission to shoot over farmers land the other option is to be a Member of a range.So you must have permissions or be a member of a club/range Before you apply. The whole medical thing is to do more with mental health AFAIK, so i would'nt worry there unless your crazy that is:P. If you want to hunt and do some target stuff I would advise for both BEFORE you apply. You will also need a competency cert to say you can handle firearms safely and know about safe backstop, muzzle sweep etc... you can get this from the range. oh you also need to buy a safe that meets the specs and bolt it to a wall.
    All the best in your new hobby:)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

thanks very much for your advice.

i think for the moment, i'd be happy to shoot a few rabbits or foxes from time to time.

i will join my local gun club but not the rifle range as it think all the costs mount up quickly to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

ye sure if you decide in the future you would like to do target shooting, all you would have to do is join the range and amend your licnece. it will add up but it's worth it though. And when your buying something like the safe have a think are you going to be getting any more firearms in the future because there is no point in buying a small safe only to buy another on in a year or two when you decide to get something else. what buys once buys twice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you want a gun for hunting, you don't neccessarily need to join a club (which will help keep costs down).

What you need is permission from two farmers to allow you to hunt on their land. There is a section on the application form for this.

I got my first gun this way. I knew two local farmers and they gave me permission. I sent in the application and got the gun no bother.

I don't know anything about the medical end of things so I won't comment on that. I would advise that if you are filling out the form, don't lie. If you have a medical condition, put it down.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I done the same as above. just wrote template letters and got 4 farmers to sign it with their addresses, phone numbers and estimate of acerage. You are better off getting insurance too which will help with the farmers giving you permission knowing you're covered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement