Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting an older gsd?

• 28-09-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My dad is mad to get a gsd after playing with and having a lot of interaction with my pup. A lovely 4yr long haired female has come up in the local pound and he wants to adopt.

Health wise- what are the risks? We don't know of any breeding lineage or hip scoring of parents etc.. she walks perfectly fine and has a lovely temperament. Would any potential problems have surfaced by now?

The last thing needed would be the heartbreak involved in having a dog pts or needing hip replacement at a young age. Any advice welcome.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I think it is very hard to adopt from a pound and be any way sure of health but then again with german sheps it is very very difficult to find a good healthy breed anyway. as I am sure you know they are riddled with problems.
    Can you take her to your vet and see what they think. our vet could tell by physical exam that our GSD's hips were perfect. as regards anything else I dont think anyone will ever be able to give you 100% guarantees. Best thing to do is get insurance for her so at least if she needs anything it is not a massive problem money wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

It's a tough one alright, she's a gorgeous dog, really not sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Its a tough decision when it comes to adopting a pure bred dog from a shelter or pound as you really don't know what kind of lineage they come from. Like the other poster said it would be a good idea to get a vet to check her over and see what he/she says. However I wouldn't take this as gospel as you just never know what could happen down the road. Pet insurance is a great way to self guard yourself from really expensive treatments should the worst happen, and it's really not all that expensive. You will be happy for it should you have to make a claim. On the bright side your dad would be doing a really good thing saving this dog from the pound, and there might not ever be a problem with her. You could get a mixed breed and they could still turn out to have hip dysplasia or another dibilitating disease, it's luck of the draw really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Hip Dysplasia normally but not always presents itself by the time the dog is 18mnths according to my vet, the difficulty is that its not always obvious to spot.

If its the dog you'd like then take a chance but i'd get her insured before you take her to the vet so there can be no question of known pre existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

:pac: just to add we adopted a 3yr old GSD also in the same boat. no idea of anything with him and we just took the gamble to get him out of the situation he was in. we have had no major issues with him yet...... years later. our other dog we bought as a pup and have had nothing but issues with her!!
    really is the luck of the draw;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Hey I own a GSD myself, contact the all ireland GSD association
    http://www.allirelandgsd.com/index.html
    There's a contact page and an email address I'm sure they could give you all the information you may need! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Thanks guys,

I think dad is gonna get her today and organise insurance asap. Thanks for all your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Its so heartening to see people Rescuing over buying. Keeping my fingers crossed all works out for your Dad & the dog:)
    Thanks guys,

I think dad is gonna get her today and organise insurance asap. Thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I think if your heart is telling you it's the right dog, then it's the right dog, after all the dog chooses you, you don't choose the dog!! Really glad to hear he's adopting her, wish you many happy years!!

Just to add I've always owned mutts, 2 we had from puppies, the first one got lukemia (spelling?!) and had to be pts before the age of 5, the second one had a heart condition and died before he reached 5, the two I have now (both rescues), one is about 6 and has a heart condition and a 'dodgy' leg, the other is about 3 and is as healthy as a horse (a healthy horse) - my point being, you just never know, pedigree, cross breed, mutt, it's the luck of the draw!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - thanks for making my crappy day a bit better.
    News like this is just the best.

Hope your dad's new companion settles in soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thats wonderful news OP, it's so nice to hear stories like this. Your Dad is doing a great thing. Hope everything works out well and I wish him all the best with his new buddy:)

Advertisement