Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to sell a house in Ireland?

Options
  • 28-09-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All

Just wondering what is the best way of selling a house in Ireland at the moment?

DoneDeal ad is getting lots of views but no real leads

Estate Agents window is not getting many viewings

Auction Houses seem to charge huge fees upfront and commission

Any input or help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Drop the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

Thanks Zamboni :D

price dropped by almost 50% since initial valuation

at 68K and open to offers it's already on the lower scale of houses for sale in the country!

All other ideas and creative suggestions also welcome!

Throw up a link to the donedeal ad.
    Have you tried Daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

If it's on daft.ie and you can't sell it then it's priced too high. It really is that simple. No gimmicks will shift it for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Daft.ie is probably the best option available to you although myhome.ie seems to be attempting to make a comeback. Take good photos of the majority of rooms in the house.

Creative options could be advertising in local newpapers, improving the interior decor of the property, doing research on what other properties in the area are selling for and undercutting them so as to stand out, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

You could always raffle it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Best way to sell. Price it competitively.

Its a very simple concept but surprisingly it works :pac:

Thanks folks.... all input and feedback welcome. I think the estate agent has it on daft... must check it out.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/houses/1968604

Unfortunately we don't have funds to invest in doing up the property or updating decor.... Can just about afford to keep the ad on donedeal!

You could always raffle it

Now that's something you don't see anymore. I don't think anyone who attempted this in Ireland actually managed to pull it off.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=463845

Leaving price aside for one second - you should get some photos up on the that. Full disclosure, warts 'n' all.
    I think you will have a very tough time shifting that property in fairness.
    Lot of work invovled and its a terrace.
    Drop it to €45,000 and try and catch one of the last idiots becuase this house will be utterly unsellable in the next few years.

• Advertisement

According to the property bee, you had it valued at €93.5k in July 2009.

Thanks Zac

It was sale agreed at €115K around 2008 but the buyer pulled out citing cash flow difficulties :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Hiya,

Took a quick look and have to agree-you need more photos. Your ad is your brochure and you are not giving enough info to make anyone want to see more.
    If the house is in bad shape, just clear out each room and get photos so that a potential buyer can at least see the size and shape of each room.

Something like this

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/25-kildare-road-crumlin-dublin-12/1597157

The photo on daft looks much better than the one on donedeal!

Also can you give square footage and room dimensions

Just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Your house seems overpriced condering it needs a LOT of work, there are new modern properties closeby "asking" for €85k. The property below could easily be bought for €70k.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=415675

I recently viewed a 2 bed apartment with an "asking" price of €85k, without any prompt the estate agent told me he could accept €75k for the apartment.

UBd wrote: »
    Thanks Zac

It was sale agreed at €115K around 2008 but the buyer pulled out citing cash flow difficulties :mad:

You are chasing the market down mate.
    Imagine if you had it up for €90k in 2008.
    Now imagine what you will be like in 2012 if you don't drop the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

from the photo and ad, that house looks to be worth about 20k.
    or, in irish "its unsellable".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That looks like a sh|thole. It may look great outside, but from the photo, it looks like a sh|thole.

Firstly, make that picture look nice. Cut the grass, and take it when the sky is blue, and the sun is pointing at the house. At the moment, it looks dull.

"Large rear garden", you say, but no picture of it? Must be crap. The insides don't have any pictures. Must be really crap.

Unless the house looks looks like something Tiger Woods lives in, one picture of the outside goes against you.

I'm guessing your house is the one with no shed?

Feedback appreciated though you seem to imply that house prices are not likely to rise again?

I bought my first house in 90's for more than €120k which needed re-wiring and considerable work but it was that or live at home with the parents forever. Work done, I sold the house and upgraded a few years later with a decent profit. In my opinion, this house could be a fantastic opportunity for a first time buyer to get onto the property ladder, do up their own house over a few years and sell on at a profit in the future.

There are huge positives with this property such as size of house, location, and size of site at back of property which could be easily used for extension.

I definately need to get more photos online and will consider all your suggestions! Does putting up you-yube clip of the interior work or is it a waste of time? Are there any websites tageting individual markets like first time buyers, developers, overseas buyers etc.?

Thanks for all your help so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Paint the house, change the front door - looks broken/battered from afar.

Change the boundary fence, or remove the plastic chicken wire.

Some better pictures highlighting the best parts of the property would also be ideal. The two on donedeal.ie aren't great tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Feedback appreciated though you seem to imply that house prices are not likely to rise again?

I bought my first house in 90's for more than €120k which needed re-wiring and considerable work
    jaysus, have you been living under a rock???
    we are in the worst property crash on record, prices arent going up for a long time. the "boom" is over and normality is slowly returning
    but it was that or live at home with the parents forever. Work done, I sold the house and upgraded a few years later with a decent profit. In my opinion, this house could be a fantastic opportunity for a first time buyer to get onto the property ladder, do up their own house over a few years and sell on at a profit in the future.
    and property only goes up and im sure rent is dead money too.
    you have to have read a newspaper in the past few years?
    read some of thepropertypin.com or even the housing bubble bursting megathread

There are huge positives with this property such as size of house, location, and size of site at back of property which could be easily used for extension.
    sure, but there are a RAKE of negatives which you have not addressed
    I definately need to get more photos online and will consider all your suggestions! Does putting up you-yube clip of the interior work or is it a waste of time? Are there any websites tageting individual markets like first time buyers, developers, overseas buyers etc.?
    i wouldnt bother with a youtube clip, get some good photos that present the house at its best. daft is the number 1, or allsop space auctions if you really want to sell...

Thanks for all your help so far :)

you're welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I agree, you need lots of photos!! Whenever I'm looking at house I skim over any that only have exterior photos - there is obviously a good reason there are no outside ones. You could get some paint for €20 and make it look better. I've done up my grandmother's house with just furniture being given away on places like Jumbletown and St. Vincent dePaul. You need to get a bit creative, start with curb appeal and more photos!

With respect to the good people of Carlow, you are trying to sell a run down terraced house in a nothing regional town, in an island country experiencing the worst property crash in world history, on the very peripheral of a continent that is experiencing an unprecedented economic meltdown.

Good sized garden though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

looks like a dump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Thanks Zamboni :D

price dropped by almost 50% since initial valuation

50% of what though? When did you buy it?

daltonmd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

In my opinion, this house could be a fantastic opportunity for a first time buyer to get onto the property ladder, do up their own house over a few years and sell on at a profit in the future.

The key words here being 'in your opinion' because that's what you wish would happen, and what might even have happened if this was 2006.

It looks like a dump in the picture, and no-one in their right mind will glance at it when you can get stuff in turn-key condition for not much more.

Also, 'FINAL REDUCTION TO 68k' in the ad is off-putting, you should never try and set an upper or lower limit and mention it in the ad, people know well that you're likely going to have take less than that for it, if anyone buys it at all, so this sort 'I'm cutting my own throat to give you a great deal here!! Definitely going no lower than this!!' just makes people think 'this guy would probably be a pain in the arse to deal with'.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Zamboni wrote: »
    With respect to the good people of Carlow, you are trying to sell a run down terraced house in a nothing regional town,

I beg to differ... Carlow looks to be a good place to invest...

+ Carlow’s strategic location, which is in close proximity to Dublin, Waterford, Kilkenny & Rosslare and has been enhanced by the opening of the €200 million Carlow by-pass and,more recently,the completion of the M9 from Dublin/Kilcullen to Carlow.

+ €220 million investment by Merck, Sharp & Dohme, one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, in Carlow town, which will result in the creation of 170 new jobs, of which 50 have already been recruited.

+ IT Carlow with over 4,000 students and circa 400 staff & has recently invested €50 million into the campus, and Carlow College (St Patrick’s) has circa 600 students.

These are just a few positives, more here

Ok I'll admit when I am wrong :)
    Carlow is awesome.
    A commercial advert placed in the SBP in January paid for by the Carlow Local Authorities Business Support Unit says so.
    The house is clearly superb and the OP should really put it back up for about 100k.
    I'm done with the thread now btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

It baffles me that people really still think that its the norm for home prices to beat inflation. The sooner people realize that real property "investment" is not common the better. In most cases, its a myth.

Anyway OP, start with some decent pics at least. It looks really run down. Cut the grass, spanky up the fence and lob a coat of paint on the house. Best you don't belittle people with the "great start on the property latter" speil, most of the people who are in a position to buy aren't going for fall for that nugget of rubbish. Looking at properties comparable in location and price, yours looks to be overpriced... But if you include more detail (size of garden for a start) it might not be. By glancing at the pics of these two tho, your property isnt going to get a second look right now.

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed89512223d1d007b01032f82383846d3a4ac82d.jpg

2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc045b5775191ab8b46a159060ca48f869584.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is the second house also 68k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Looks like a crack house. Give me 5 grand and I will take it off your hands.

Advertisement