Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options
19495969798100»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

paddyandy wrote: »
    We saw the rise of the Drug Problem in Ireland from it's Infancy to the present Epidemic rate under the Watchful eyes of the IRA and Sinn Fein who understood the problem well but did little more than a token effort to deal with the devastation of lives and families both sides of the border.They knew well the importance of staying on the side of the young involved in drugs and crime to support their habits and to play the 'deprived' card all the way.To patronise reckless behaviour is to hold favour with them and this they did while playing the game in the divide while working class estates degenerated to a stage where Sinn Fein played the Role of Good Cop to them.They became local Decision Makers in Housing and facilities and the game goes on today.We'll find out in the next few days how many of us understood what is really going on in Ireland not to mention all their other shadowy ways.
    Sinn Fein/IRA HAD the Power and the Means to deal with the Problems but chose the Crafty Route on a street of coffins to an assumed Messianic Role in the South.....Well that is'nt gong to happen this time.

That's just pure rubbish, I suppose SF were involved in sexually abusing children on an industrial scale and putting young women into laundry's and putting a huge number of people into mental hospitals and drugging them up, No wait that was FF and the CC.

I personally blame Michael MacDowell for Cork City's Heroin problem and yet he is not in SF, How do I blame him ? Closing down the heroin free Spike Island young offenders and sending these lads to St Pats where they become addicts and made contacts in the Dublin Heroin trade, Its no coincidence within months of that move and also coinciding with non availability of Cannabis, Heroin use took off rapidly in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Vanderbilt

Davids getting my No.1. MichaelD my No.2

This clip is worth sharing. He's an inspirational man.

Hope he can make the ultimate comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

McGuinness campaigners out in force in my (very much working class) estate today.

The leaflet they gave out came with a diagram of a voting slip, just in case we didn't know how to do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

doing this very un-scientifically.

In the last polling Sean Gallagher was on around 18%, this was during the time real polls showed SG between 38 and 41%.

A number of votes were cast on here before the RTE Frontline debate but the majority after.

If we use the reduction of 6%, we would expect his tally to have reduced by 1/3

So my guess based on Boards.ie is for Sean Gallagher to poll at 27% in tomorrows Presidential Election ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

doing this very un-scientifically.

In the last polling Sean Gallagher was on around 18%, this was during the time real polls showed SG between 38 and 41%.

A number of votes were cast on here before the RTE Frontline debate but the majority after.

If we use the reduction of 6%, we would expect his tally to have reduced by 1/3

So my guess based on Boards.ie is for Sean Gallagher to poll at 27% in tomorrows Presidential Election ;)

Good ol cigarette pack calculations, they can't be beaten with a big schtick!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

SF only in this area of West Dublin. I think they will do well as their candidate is heavily involved in the campaign to stop the closures of the beds in Connolly Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

when's the poll gettin reset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

recyclebin wrote: »
    when's the poll gettin reset?

Sometime before the real polls open, prob midnight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Yep. He was a member of FF - so what? At least he didn't murder anyone.;)
    First there never was any danger of MMG becoming president. The worst that could happen is he might embarass some people by coming in ahead of them. So stop spreading FUD (Fear uncertainty doubt)

Second and this is bloody crucial, health budgets and safety budgets are finite, including road safety. With limited resources you can't save everyone. Budget approx. €1m to save a life through medical treatment or safety improvements. When money is diverted to paying off the debts of a few speculators / propping up the golden circle then it means people will die. You can argue about exact cost but not the effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have never ever voted Sinn Fein in my life but Mcguinness has won my number 1(I'm even shocked to say that)
    I might believe that if there weren't so many many newcomers using similar phrases each time there is an election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

So stop spreading FUD (Fear uncertainty doubt) THE RAW TRUTH

Just about covers it. Fcuk SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Vanderbilt wrote: »
    Davids getting my No.1. MichaelD my No.2

This clip is worth sharing. He's an inspirational man.

Hope he can make the ultimate comeback.

That video is utter drivel. How ANYONE can still consider voting for that person is truly unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Freddie59 wrote: »
    That video is utter drivel. How ANYONE can still consider voting for that person is truly unbelievable.

Ah the joys of democracy, people can vote for the candidate of their choice...

Shocker huh?

The media are trying to tell us who to vote for by using character assassination rather than telling us the candidates policies and what they can offer the people of this great country.
    I am voting for the person who has had the most dirt thrown at them by the gutter press.
    Mc Guinness
    a stone thrower from Derry, so I'm guessing that your choice of candidate was decided from day 1

25-09-2011, 08:20 as far as I can tell your first post on boards
    Look at the "vote for me I'm a celeb" candidates. Look at one that is a "close" friend and sympathiser of a convicted drug user and statutory rapist. Look at the one who is a businessman, is he in it to further his own financial ambitions. Mandella was branded a terrorist and he reunited the people of SA so why not Mc Guinness for President. He just may surprise you like Mandella surprised everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

McGuinness all the way for me. The only candidate with any real courage. I'll be filling out 1-6 but Gallagher won't be getting anything from me due to his FF connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is Michael D the only one who speaks Irish?

I did email the Norris campaign a few weeks back but got no reply. It wasn't exactly a difficult question, must be too busy

I'm not sure if the others are fluent

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Don't know for sure, but during the TG4 debate, while Michael D was obviously the most fluent, I thought Norris and Mitchell both demonstrated some proficiency. The others only spoke as Gaeilge during their opening statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mikemac wrote: »

I did email the Norris campaign a few weeks back but got no reply. It wasn't exactly a difficult question, must be too busy

Anyone know?

McGuinness is getting lessons AFAIK. Suppose he wasn't in the Kesh to get the lessons, Portlaoise prison instead I think?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

mikemac wrote: »

Anyone know?

There was a debate on TG4 about two weeks ago.

Michael D. was the only candidate that spoke Irish during the debate.

What is the relevance of this anyway? 98% of the country can't speak Irish.

Out of curiosity, is it better to completely fill your polling card or just give preferences to candidates you approve of?
    Thats a completly personal choice. Just remember that a low vote can still be used in transfers while no vote means no vote.

I reckon I'll fill out about 4.
    That's fine, unless you dislike any of the remaining candidates more than the others.

This election will almost certainly be decided by the transfers.

If you give someone a 7 then the only way they can get that vote is if ALL 6 other candidates are eliminated.

BUT if you give someone a 6 then your vote could be the deciding one.

The beauty of PR is that you can vote AGAINST people as well as for them. By not putting down a later preference then in the unlikely event transfers go down that far your opinion won't count.

• Advertisement

Ok folks, finish up here, this thread is being locked shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm voting Yoda Higgins. Good relations with the Wookiees he has.

New thread/poll HERE

Or use the Election Forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement