Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I will vote for Norris if we get clarification about any remaining letters and their contents, failing Norris I would vote for Michael D Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Riamfada wrote: »
    I dont think the poll reflects national vote for Norris. The majority of his base in 18-25 year olds who are the largest group on boards but the smallest voters in reality.
    No. This poll only represents the people on here who chose to vote.
    To get an idea of the national vote, have a look at the opinion polls, where he was last showing at 27%
    The latest poll shows Mr Norris on 27pc, Labour's Michael D Higgins on 18pc, Mr McGuinness on 15pc, Independent Mary Davis on 15pc, Independent Sean Gallagher on 11pc, Mr Mitchell on 10pc and Ms Scallon on 4pc.

No doubt there will be more polls published this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

That poll has him a good bit ahead still, McGuinness lightly down and Higgins the same.

I still think the older vote will win it for Higgins over Norris, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

LordSutch wrote: »
    I will vote for Norris if we get clarification about any remaining letters and their contents, failing Norris I would vote for Michael D Higgins.

I used to have a lot of time for Norris. I'm now beginning to dislike him though. He is so evasive it is worrying.

The Hookie monster told him on newstalk today that he really has no choice about the letters, it wont go away. He is right. Every interview is being dominated by it. He's not getting anything else across. He needs to do something about it.

I have heard three Norris interviews in the last day or so. He has given varying reasons why he wont publish them:

Interview 1: Got legal advise.

Interview 2: Got legal advise and wants to protect victims privacy.

Interview 3: Is afraid that the victim may sue.

How can you believe a word he is saying at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

I used to have a lot of time for Norris. I'm now beginning to dislike him though. He is so evasive it is worrying.

The Hookie monster told him on newstalk today that he really has no choice about the letters, it wont go away. He is right. Every interview is being dominated by it. He's not getting anything else across. He needs to do something about it.

I have heard three Norris interviews in the last day or so. He has given varying reasons why he wont publish them:

Interview 1: Got legal advise.

Interview 2: Got legal advise and wants to protect victims privacy.

Interview 3: Is afraid that the victim may sue.

How can you believe a word he is saying at this stage?

This ^

I would have voted for him,but listening to Pat Kenny yesterday he was flanneling around on the letters issue. Sorry David,maybe no 2.
    So now it's Michael D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sky King wrote: »

If you stuck a bag over her head, she'd be quite fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

what i do know is that a 35 y/o charity worker in a poor country should not be taking sexual advantage of a 15 year old he's there to protect - this is clear cut. even if this guy was 18 y/o i'd still have a problem with it - he's supposed to be there to help, not get his way with the local boys.

Consenting adults is a problem?

Something a sheep shagging republican might say .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

efb wrote: »
    I'm 31 too! I don't know many 15 year olds I'd refer to as a young boy! Prob a teenager 10-12 older boy. 7-9 just boy btw

I'm nearer to Norris age wise and I'd consider 15 yr old a boy and more than a little creepy to think a boy of that age could sexually attract a middleage man.

If a middleaged man had a sexual relationship with a 15 yr old girl would your views be any different?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I'm nearer to Norris age wise and I'd consider 15 yr old a boy and more than a little creepy to think a boy of that age could sexually attract a middleage man.

If a middleaged man had a sexual relationship with a 15 yr old girl would your views be any different?.

From what I've seen on here, I am seriously beginning to think there is the view that everyone knows that such a relationship would be wrong if it was a middle-aged man with a 15 year old girl whereas many seem to have a vague attitude about a middle-aged man with a 15 year old boy... almost as if: ah, shure, with homosexuals, it's different.

After all, no kid, so no chance of a claim on the family farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I've narrowed it down to 2 , I'm voting for Mr McGuinness, it's either that or Dana (and I couldnt live with myself if she got it so it's unlikely she'll get my vote)
    :D

p.s.
    Is it possible Norris thinks he's running an Erection campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

People need to think this trough. Supporting Norris is socially unacceptable. That's a given.

Stapling your scrotum to the jacket of a passer-by is socially unacceptable. That's a given.

Voting for a candidate who has entered a democratic election by fair means, hmm......
    These stories surrounding him have gone international and people are looking at us to see waht happens next.

They're really not.

There'll be a perfunctory piece here and there but the election simply won't register internationally with the press or public alike.
    We'll all be tarred with the same brush if he gets in. We won't be called liiberals or leaders in the gay rights league. We'll be called something else. Something bad. Norris knows this and he should have more respect than to run as a candidate.

This a wind up, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He is a peace time politician. A big difference between a normal politician in a normal society. What does Martin Mcguinness really know about normal politics which involve economics and basic political decision and not decisions which come from a power sharing agreement and thus no one takes a real responsiblity.

Ahem. Does that minor matter of Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin running the government in the northeast of Ireland with Peter Robinson and the DUP not count?

PS: And far be it for me to complicate things, but insofar as my paltry understanding of the position of president is concerned, he would be subject to Bunreacht na hÉireann and accordingly not partake in political statements or political life without the authorisation of the government. The only exception to this, as far as I'm aware, is the ability of the president to refuse to sign the government's legislation and instead send it to the supreme court to ascertain the constitutionality of the proposed legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Dionysus wrote: »
    Ahem. Does that minor matter of Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin running the government in the northeast of Ireland with Peter Robinson and the DUP not count?

PS: And far be it for me to complicate things, but insofar as my paltry understanding of the position of president is concerned, he would be subject to Bunreacht na hÉireann and accordingly not partake in political statements or political life without the authorisation of the government. The only exception to this, as far as I'm aware, is the ability of the president to refuse to sign the government's legislation and instead send it to the supreme court to ascertain the constitutionality of the proposed legislation.
    Well in terms of Martin Mcguinness and Peter Robinson? Not really as in making a decision and taking the full brunt of that decision because they are power sharing. Both can't do something as FM and DFM unless the other agrees.

Martin Mcguinness is on his way out of the political game in Northern Ireland and is looking for this job in the Republic as a good send off. Sinn Fein are preparing for a new generation of members who weren't in the PIRA or shot a gun. Gerry and Martin will in the next 5 years will not have big roles to play, if any at all.

That is the only real positive I could pay to him and PUL politicians in that they ended the conflict and in the future we won't have politicians involved who planted a bomb or shot some one. That will be the legacy I'd say when it comes to Martin Mcguinness and others in these past number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Has anyone a breakdown of the age profile of registered voters in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Deedsie wrote: »
    Has anyone a breakdown of the age profile of registered voters in Ireland?

Yup - they're all over 18 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What needs to be "moved forward", and how can putting a former high-ranking terrorist into presidential office "move it forward" ?

If anything, McGuinness will entrench people into opposing camps even more. I know that his presence in the race sickens me, and I know that - should he be elected - my faith and hope in this country's future will be severely dented.

Having someone who can't even bring himself to name the state by it's proper name as its president will be an absolute farce if it comes to pass.

Yawn...build a bridge & get over it, He will entrench people into opposing camps? (No military references there:rolleyes:)...Jesus just let it go, the Queen of England was here for tea & the Unionists also have blood on their hands,Why is it only one side has to forgive & forget? can we not ALL just "move on". I for one would like to see Micheal D as pres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Thought Gallagher won it.

Tubridy was awful as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Norris is a gas man though...Rasputin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jinx Mulvey

Martin McGuinness in my opinion is the best candidate for president. Martin McGuinness's attitude in relation to greed and selfishness being the ruination of this country is truly justified by our current economic climate. His own selflessness in the work he has done, working on a pitance compared to individuals who destroyed this country sets a good example to the individuals who ruined this country, and who are still laughing at the people earning lower salaries. The late late showed up weaknesses in various candidates such as Gay "22 Counties" Mitchell and Sean "Irish Law???" Gallagher. I was also impressed with Dana and her honest devotion to the Irish Constitution.

One of the more enjoyable late late shows I have seen.

Regards,
    Jinx

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I have a mind of my own and won't be going along with the Dublin media who want David Norris. Voting McGuinness.

So I'll just vote for what the Dublin media don't want!

You free thinker you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As for the liberal card, SF are the most socially liberal party involved in the election and the most left wing economically.

Reminds of the poster who was against liberalism in a thread but had a link to vote McGuinness in his sig!

The Tea Party supporters in Ireland but in reverse!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Thought Gallagher won it.

Tubridy was awful as expected.

the ff machine has been started up, makes a change from the fg gobsheens been active around here lately......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Hadn't heard much from Gallagher before tonight, but I agreed with his views tonight. Seems like a good candidate. And Dana is one scary woman. Here's hoping she never gets her hands on any real power... And, one last thing- anyone else tempted to have a drinking game? Drink every time Dana says 'sovereignty'? I'd have passed out by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

It appears to me that Senator David Norris will be elected come Hell or High Water ,, The good people of Ireland have no concern about his major indiscretion concerning the Clemency letters and considering more and more cases of Clerical abuse are being highlighted i think the immoral 60% would rather sweep those facts under the Carpet .. The lies he has told concerning the letters and his sheer arrogance during interviews where concerns have been raised has exposed a nasty side which is unbecoming of a Presidential hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

It appears to me that Senator David Norris will be elected come Hell or High Water ,, The good people of Ireland have no concern about his major indiscretion concerning the Clemency letters and considering more and more cases of Clerical abuse are being highlighted i think the immoral 60% would rather sweep those facts under the Carpet .. The lies he has told concerning the letters and his sheer arrogance during interviews where concerns have been raised has exposed a nasty side which is unbecoming of a Presidential hopeful.

what you talkin about willis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Has to be McGuinness since he is only taking a salary of 36k. Absolutely shameful that none of the other candidates are doing the same given the economic position Ireland is in, just shows they are in it for the money above all else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

@meditraitor: How much do you know about Israelis ? For one they would not advise Senator Norris to keep quiet about the letters as THEY were the ones according to Ezra Nawi who leaked the existence of the letters and the clemency plea which nearly ended his Presidential campaign in the first place .. There is no love lost between Senator Norris and the Israeli authorities as he his Pro Palestinian.

Senator David Norris would be wise to release the letters as he will be totally discredited if the Israelis manage to leak the contents of the clemency letters.

Sorry but there is something sleazy that he is desperate to keep hidden !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

State of all them last night. Said before who I'm voting for but as people have said already, it's a poor bunch to choose from all things considrered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement