Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

"Terrorist?" Terrorism is being burned out your homes and being shot and killed by Paras on Bloody Sunday .. The IRA did not start that bloody war and they didn't want it .. Did they really have any choice but declare war ? They were being treated as second class citizens in their own country, totally discriminated against.. Charles Haughey wanted to Arm them when he saw the abuses meted out to Republicans and Nationalists alike... History would read so much differently if Charley managed to pursued Jack as it would've been all out war and the Republic would've been caught up in it, and people like Martin McGuinness would be hailed as heroes the length and breadth of Ireland "Win or Lose".

All those years of carnage and TV/Media blackouts The Hunger Strikers The shoot to Kill Policy , Internment without trial and restrictive voting rights .. It was a WAR and Martin McGuinness, Ian Paisley and others who finally brokered a lasting peace should be applauded and dare i say "Hailed as heroes" ... The peace Wall remains, but there is HOPE.

Martin McGuinness has earned the right to be President of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

"Terrorist?" Terrorism is being burned out your homes and being shot and killed by Paras on Bloody Sunday .. The IRA did not start that bloody war and they didn't want it .. Did they really have any choice but declare war ? They were being treated as second class citizens in their own country, totally discriminated against.. Charles Haughey wanted to Arm them when he saw the abuses meted out to Republicans and Nationalists alike... History would read so much differently if Charley managed to pursued Jack as it would've been all out war and the Republic would've been caught up in it, and people like Martin McGuinness would be hailed as heroes the length and breadth of Ireland "Win or Lose".

All those years of carnage and TV/Media blackouts The Hunger Strikers The shoot to Kill Policy , Internment without trial and restrictive voting rights .. It was a WAR and Martin McGuinness, Ian Paisley and others who finally brokered a lasting peace should be applauded and dare i say "Hailed as heroes" ... The peace Wall remains, but there is HOPE.

It'll fall on deaf ears. People on here have been re-writting Irish history for as long as I've been posting. In AH:

British Queen who pays the pension schemes of bigots, terrorists and murders = good.

Sinn Fein = bad.

Mr Mitchell said to Martin and i quote "Your no Nelson Mandela" .. And he's right as Martin isn't Black,, The differences end there. If Martin McGuinness was black, there would be a Red Carpet laid out for him and the questions would not include his IRA past but if he has Irish relatives somewhere near Moneygall .. I was about to tell a joke about a Kenyan Terrorist but that would be off topic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

John Hume dislikes this post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

squod wrote: »
    It'll fall on deaf ears. People on here have been re-writting Irish history for as long as I've been posting. In AH:

British Queen who pays the pension schemes of bigots, terrorists and murders = good.

Sinn Fein = bad.

People are too interested in "Celebrity status" and David Norris fits that flamboyant criteria perfectly .. I didn't realise people find arrogance so endearing. God forbid Jedward don't throw their Hats into the ring in four years time !

• Advertisement

People are too interested in "Celebrity status" and David Norris fits that flamboyant criteria perfectly .. I didn't realise people find arrogance so endearing. God forbid Jedward don't throw their Hats into the ring in four years time !

For 100 years the English Government has been white washing itself in History books but they were unable to white wash themselves where the Troubles were concerned .. They committed as many if not more acts of atrocities in the North and the Jailing of the Guilford 4 and McGuire 7 and others were in many respects an act of terrorism on the innocent .. Many innocent people were jailed for crimes they did not commit and that is a stain the establishment will never wash away .. Don't forget Gibraltar !!

K-9 wrote: »
    John Hume dislikes this post.

David Trimble wouldn't like it neither. I could name drop as much as i like and even include Senator George Mitchel and Tony Blair but I'll stop short of applauding say Tony and Bill Clinton after their shenanigans in Iraq and the Balkans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

David Trimble wouldn't like it neither. I could name drop as much as i like and even include Senator George Mitchel and Tony Blair but I'll stop short of applauding say Tony and Bill Clinton after their shenanigans in Iraq and the Balkans.

Shouldn't you be off supporting Welsh Nationalists?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

For 100 years the English Government has been white washing itself in History books but they were unable to white wash themselves where the Troubles were concerned .. They committed as many if not more acts of atrocities in the North and the Jailing of the Guilford 4 and McGuire 7 and others were in many respects an act of terrorism on the innocent .. Many innocent people were jailed for crimes they did not commit and that is a stain the establishment will never wash away .. Don't forget Gibraltar !!

To be fair, this is bull. They have not white washed history books. There are plenty of articles, books, inquiries and research written on these subjects. Where did you read about it? I bet you it was a journalist, a historian, an author from Ireland or Britain. The British Government has f**ked up many times but they are well out there in the public sphere, it is not secret and to use a horrible cliche, people living in britain have the absolute freedom to question and be critical of their governments actions.

Don't forget Gibraltar? well Thames TV produced a documentary which the Independent Broadcasting Authroity defended and allowed to be screened which they said "the issues as we see them relate to free speech and free inquiry which underpin individual liberty in a democracy".

It is nice and easy to paint the British Government as secretive white washers of history, it just appears they are not very good at it as they, countless times, have allowed journalists, film makers, inquiries, historians and many more question and dissect their actions and present a more critical view of their actions. Those evil bastards! :pac:

To be fair, this is bull. They have not white washed history books. There are plenty of articles, books, inquiries and research written on these subjects. Where did you read about it? I bet you it was a journalist, a historian, an author from Ireland or Britain. The British Government has f**ked up many times but they are well out there in the public sphere, it is not secret and to use a horrible cliche, people living in britain have the absolute freedom to question and be critical of their governments actions.

Don't forget Gibraltar? well Thames TV produced a documentary which the Independent Broadcasting Authroity defended and allowed to be screened which they said "the issues as we see them relate to free speech and free inquiry which underpin individual liberty in a democracy".

It is nice and easy to paint the British Government as secretive white washers of history, it just appears they are not very good at it as they, countless times, have allowed journalists, film makers, inquiries, historians and many more question and dissect their actions and present a more critical view of their actions. Those evil bastards! :pac:

After WWI and WWII the British white washed themselves with words like "A just War" It wasn't "just" and Hitler didn't want war [Fact] ..
    The Falklands war: When it emerged that the General belgrano was sunk outside the 200Nautical mile exclusion zone Maggie said it posed a threat so that was OK, and there were reports that Argentinian prisoners had been executed in acts of reprisal. That was quickly hushed up..
    We are taught many things but much is ommitted like the Balfour declaration, The Transfer Agreement and in 1933 the Headline in the Morning paper was "Judea declares War against Germany" Your Children will never be taught these facts and important historical events because for your Children to learn these things would be seen as hateful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

@meditraitor: How much do you know about Israelis ? For one they would not advise Senator Norris to keep quiet about the letters as THEY were the ones according to Ezra Nawi who leaked the existence of the letters and the clemency plea which nearly ended his Presidential campaign in the first place .. There is no love lost between Senator Norris and the Israeli authorities as he his Pro Palestinian.

Senator David Norris would be wise to release the letters as he will be totally discredited if the Israelis manage to leak the contents of the clemency letters.

Sorry but there is something sleazy that he is desperate to keep hidden !

what are you talking about, 2 posts of utter rubbish,

After WWI and WWII the British white washed themselves with words like "A just War" It wasn't "just" and Hitler didn't want war [Fact] ..
    The Falklands war: When it emerged that the General belgrano was sunk outside the 200Nautical mile exclusion zone Maggie said it posed a threat so that was OK, and there were reports that Argentinian prisoners had been executed in acts of reprisal. That was quickly hushed up..
    We are taught many things but much is ommitted like the Balfour declaration, The Transfer Agreement and in 1933 the Headline in the Morning paper was "Judea declares War against Germany" Your Children will never be taught these facts and important historical events because for your Children to learn these things would be seen as hateful.

Sorry, but waste of time talking with you if this is your view. Absolute nonsense and this is just dragging the thread way off topic, you should go to conspiracy forums for this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What the hell has happened to this thread? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Im not sure but I think Zionist Jews with Irish Passports have taken it over???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Dozey mods happened it.

I'll probably get the blame for this .. read my first posts and the comments i started to get then you decide .. I mentioned the Jew word "shock horror" .. Its OK I've already been reported so i doubt I'll be around long enough to defend myself !!

I posted this .. Its relevent as senator david Norris got screwed (excuse the pun) and there is a good chance he will be smeared again. I'm all fairness and he really should release those damned Letters before the Israelis do !

http://electronicintifada.net/blog/david/why-should-israeli-settlers-influence-irish-election

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dozey mods happened it.

You shouldn't talk about the others like that, it's insulting. People get banned for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

You shouldn't talk about the others like that, it's insulting. People get banned for less.

Hands up. I apologise.

Hands up. I apologise.

No worries.

Ok, we'll have a read over the last few posts.

Can we all get back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

which 4 counties is Gay Mitchell going to remove?

• Advertisement

I posted this .. Its relevent as senator david Norris got screwed (excuse the pun) and there is a good chance he will be smeared again. I'm all fairness and he really should release those damned Letters before the Israelis do !

http://electronicintifada.net/blog/david/why-should-israeli-settlers-influence-irish-election

I researched the David Norris clemency case and i read the comments left on the Jerusalem Post and fortunately someone posted the name of the Blogger who nearly destroyed Davids chance of running. The link above is about the Blogger and who he is and what he does .. The link below please read the comments that were left thanks.

http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=232363

Mod Note:

To save a few of ye red cards and bans, I have deleted many OT posts. This is your only chance.

No Flaming and stay on topic, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

57% of 1st preferences to go to the two grossly unsuitable candidates. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I researched the David Norris clemency case and i read the comments left on the Jerusalem Post and fortunately someone posted the name of the Blogger who nearly destroyed Davids chance of running. The link above is about the Blogger and who he is and what he does .. The link below please read the comments that were left thanks.

lol. David Norris has only himself to blame.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/319836/176523.jpg

Comments from Jerusalem Post.

No worries.

Ok, we'll have a read over the last few posts.

Can we all get back on topic please.

I humbly apologise for anything i may have written which was perceived as vaguely offensive .. I mean well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Its popular to bash at the moment but without Fianna Fail in the mix people are actually thinking democratically regardless of the candidates qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I think the office of president is a useless and pointless waste of money and time. The muck raking orgy of Tubridy's last night was pathetic. If the sun had a TV station that is the type of crap they would broadcast. There was so little about what those candidates would actually bring to the post and try to achieve that the entire thing was pointless. It was yet another opportunity for Tubridy to try and appear intelligent by outsmarting presidential candidates and failing miserably to appear intelligent or host an interesting show.

But seeing as though someone has to fill the position. I wont be voting based on what someone may or may not have done in the distant past or who said what to who like its some stupid celebrity big brother show. I will be voting on who I think would be the best president based on the values they hold and what they have achieved in office during their political careers.

I'll be voting:

1st Norris
    2nd McGuinness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Have been thinking long and hard about this and was seriously considering giving MMG a preference - not #1 as that's Mickey D's - but maybe # 3. Thought about the civil rights abuses in NI and lack of protection for Nationalists - OK understand that.

Lived through the bombing campaign in England - that was a ****e time to be Irish in England but while I often encountered good intentioned ignorance, I only once encountered anti-Irish racism in person - and that person was sacked immediately. So not comfortable with anti-British diatribes by MMG supporters and comments by him calling people in the republic of Ireland West Brits people born here who have contributed via their taxes to the state.

But over the last few days one thing about MMG has begun to bother me more and more and that's the fact that he never lived or worked in the state he now seeks to become head of. It's really bothering me that he will move here if we elect him our figurehead - otherwise he'll stay put in NI.

Sure it's grand he'll take the average wage as a salary - but he never paid a brass cent in taxes to contribute towards that salary or the lovely pension he'd get when his term ends.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »

But over the last few days one thing about MMG has begun to bother me more and more and that's the fact that he never lived or worked in the state he now seeks to become head of. It's really bothering me that he will move here if we elect him our figurehead - otherwise he'll stay put in NI.

Sure it's grand he'll take the average wage as a salary - but he never paid a brass cent in taxes to contribute towards that salary or the lovely pension he'd get when his term ends.

I see your points, but do not think a better reason would his position about the murdering of Gardai and their killers?

Someone not living in the Republic, yeah not a good thing for a President, a President who supported men who murdered Gardai and then sought for their release? That might be a tad worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement