Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

gigino wrote: »
    Actually the PIRA killed 49% of those in the troubles, the RIRA and INLA and UVF and UDA etc accounted for more percentages. The British army killed "only" 9%. The " Brits" did not kill 1,800....even if you include those groups who saw themselves as being loyal to Britain.

The updated stats are here. Personally I couldn't vote for MMG and Norris is looking the best of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

gigino wrote: »
    Actually the PIRA killed 49% of those in the troubles, the RIRA and INLA and UVF and UDA etc accounted for more percentages. The British army killed "only" 9%. The " Brits" did not kill 1,800....even if you include those groups who saw themselves as being loyal to Britain. Interesting statistics on http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/troubles/troubles_stats.html

Thank you and enjoy the election:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

pow wow wrote: »
    The updated stats are here. Personally I couldn't vote for MMG and Norris is looking the best of a bad bunch.

Thank you and enjoy the election.
    I hope who ever becomes the new President puts the welfare of all the people of Ireland to the fore and not push for their own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

pow wow wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't vote for MMG and Norris is looking the best of a bad bunch.
    +1. Norris is the best of bad bunch, or else the baldy fellow from Dragons den - we could do with someone with common sense + who knows a bit about business. However given the IMF are here + the state of the countries finances, its absurd to think our little country - with a population that of greater Manchester - can afford so many TD's, senators, Presidential hangers on etc....all paid more than their counterparts abroad. Do we need both a taoiseach + a president on big salaries ? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

martin all the way, just so i can stick me two fingers up at the hole load off them,

• Advertisement

thats how Hitler got to power. He did not like minorities either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Can I vote for the whole Irish rugby team?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I've decided!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mitchell on The Right Hook earlier -

http://media.newstalk.ie/extra/4368/popup

George - "Tell us something about Gay Mitchell that we don't already know"

Mitchell - "Mairead McGuinnes says I'm a funny guy"

I feckin laughed when he said it though, so her point is proven. He should have used that as his campaign slogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Very interesting article in yesterdays Sunday independent. It is about an encounter a journalist had with a group of Martin McGuinness' 'campaign crew' outside the RTE studios last friday.

The article can be found here: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...n-2893552.html

TL;DR version: Journalist spots McGuinness pulling up in a BMW X5 SUV and a VW Passat. Thinking this was interesting considering he's only on €35,000 euro a year he decided to grab a photo. Those accompanying McGuinness didn't like this and approached the journo. He assured them all plates would be blacked out etc. The four lads got aggressive and started shouting abuse including "Sunday Independent! I should have known. F**king gob****e! Thick!". All this was going on with MmG himself less than six feet away. He did nothing to resolve the situation. It took a RTE press office worker to pluck up the courage to come to the journo's aid.

This just shows caliber of person SF and McGuinness are(excuse the pun). It seems to similar in style to a certain organisation. So the question is, how much have these people really changed since the peace process. A case of you can't teach old dogs new tricks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Gay Mitchell going to jump off O'Connell st bridge

Mitchell makes 'jump off O'Connell Bridge' remark

03/10/2011 - 18:42:57
    Fine Gael Presidential candidate Gay Mitchell has today said that we would "jump off O'Connell Bridge" if anyone else asked him to smile.

Mitchell has maintained throughout his campaign that he would put suicide firmly on the agenda if elected President on October 27.

However, when attempting to explain that he has a lighter more fun side which people do not see, he made the remark.

"If anyone says to me any more 'smile', I will jump off O'Connell Bridge," he said.

"I'm sick of people telling me 'smile, smile, smile' - smiles do not deliver jobs, smiles do not deliver the sort of thing that this country needs which is moral leadership, people going to roll up their sleeves, hard work."

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mitchell-makes-jump-off-oconnell-bridge-remark-523002.html#ixzz1ZkV5eVSY

Smile Gay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

darkman2 wrote: »
    Gay Mitchell going to jump off O'Connell st bridge

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side..

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Journalist spots McGuinness pulling up in a BMW X5 SUV and a VW Passat. Thinking this was interesting considering he's only on €35,000 euro a year he decided to grab a photo. Those accompanying McGuinness didn't like this and approached the journo. He assured them all plates would be blacked out etc. The four lads got aggressive and started shouting abuse including "Sunday Independent! I should have known. F**king gob****e! Thick!". All this was going on with MmG himself less than six feet away. He did nothing to resolve the situation. It took a RTE press office worker to pluck up the courage to come to the journo's aid.

This just shows caliber of person SF and McGuinness are(excuse the pun). It seems to similar in style to a certain organisation. So the question is, how much have these people really changed since the peace process. A case of you can't teach old dogs new tricks?

A leopard does not change his northern banknotes for a little fiat spots;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Norris is an imminently blind alcoholic according to tomorrows papers.

I heard the Daily Mail has a story where Norris tried to buy a liver in Azerbaijan off a 2 year old factory worker for 2 elastic bands, a half eaten donut and a packet of pork scratchings. Must be true - as an alcoholic he'll be needing a new liver soon. Explains a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Jesus, that sucks. If true...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I heard the Daily Mail has a story where Norris tried to buy a liver in Azerbaijan off a 2 year old factory worker for 2 elastic bands, a half eaten donut and a packet of pork scratchings. Must be true - as an alcoholic he'll be needing a new liver soon. Explains a lot.

I heard they were going with the idea that he once had sex with a woman.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I heard they were going with the idea that he once had sex with a woman.

Sure we all know that! It was with Martina Navratilova when she came over to play that tennis match in Dublin back in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

How does he keep up with the news like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I heard the Daily Star have evidence he's actually Lord Lucan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I see the Irish Times this morning is running a story that completly exposes the lies of the Sun and Independent yesterday while they are on their smear campaign!
    (See: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1004/1224305205482.html)

Now today its been stated they are attacking Norris because he might have had a few too many drinks after getting dumped by a lover!
    And is that isn’t low enough for them, they are trying to say “Don’t elect him now – because he might also be going blind at some stage!”
    Absolutely unreal that the press – two papers in particular – are attacking this man with such viciousness.
    Absolutely vicious, rotten journalism by the Sun and the Irish Independent.

I have seen these papers stoop low but in this presidents race, they really are reaching new lower levels!

Meanwhile the nutjob that is Gay Mitchell, is off making suicide jokes: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-election/gay-mitchell-threatens-to-jump-in-liffey-in-suicide-gaffe-2894765.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

He could be a child rapist and his blind idiotic followers would still vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Biggins wrote: »
    I see the Irish Times this morning is running a story that completly exposes the lies of the Sun and Independent yesterday while they are on their smear campaign!
    (See: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1004/1224305205482.html)

Now today its been stated they are attacking Norris because he might have had a few too many drinks after getting dumped by a lover!
    And is that isn’t low enough for them, they are trying to say “Don’t elect him now – because he might also be going blind at some stage!”
    Absolutely unreal that the press – two papers in particular – are attacking this man with such viciousness.
    Absolutely vicious, rotten journalism by the Sun and the Irish Independent.

I have seen these papers stoop low but in this presidents race, they really are reaching new lower levels!

Meanwhile the nutjob that is Gay Mitchell, is off making suicide jokes: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-election/gay-mitchell-threatens-to-jump-in-liffey-in-suicide-gaffe-2894765.html

Is the irony of complaining about propaganda while vigorously taking in part in propaganda yourself lost on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    He could be a child rapist and his blind idiotic followers would still vote for him.
    And that's worse than voting for an actual terrorist?

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Thats going to be one of the most stupidest, unproven slurs that will be around today I suspect.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Is the irony of complaining about propaganda while vigorously taking in part in propaganda yourself lost on you?

It would be lost on me if true!
    I have commented on newspapers that is true most times and based on fact hopefully - not made up newspaper stories that are cheap, vicious and turn out to be false!
    Learn to tell the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Thats going to be one of the most stupidest, unproven slurs that will be around today I suspect.
    Its very early in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

Any chance of a fresh poll, to see if there's any difference?

dvpower wrote: »
    Its very early in the day.

Sadly true - give it time...
    Someone will probably come out with more daftness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

This is another bit of nonsense tbh. A throwaway remark, obviously not intentional.
    I really wish the papers (and everyone else) would stick to the real issues and real flaws in the candidates, of which there are many.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement