Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

seamus wrote: »
    And that's worse than voting for an actual terrorist?

To you he is a terrorist, to the Brits he was a terrorist. To real Patriotic Irish men he is a patriotic hero. A fighter against an evil illegal occupation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dvpower wrote: »
    This is another bit of nonsense tbh. A throwaway remark, obviously not intentional.
    I really wish the papers (and everyone else) would stick to the real issues and real flaws in the candidates, of which there are many.

Again true.
    The Irish media really need to up their game with better investigations and actual facts.
    Sadly the papers that should be better, are reducing themselves to the levels of the lowest ones.

Mitchell's remark is unfortunate but nothing on the level as Mr Aherns once suicide remark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Norris is an imminently blind alcoholic according to tomorrows papers.

Aye, The Star is running with the drink story, saying he went and had a few too many drinks after he was dumped by a lover (who then went off for a younger person).

...And the Mail is running the story that Norris is going blind.

* In fact he has an eye condition that while MIGHT lead to blindness for anyone, is controllable to a great extent and as in Norris's case, is.
    Norris's eye problems are nothing new and have been reported on for some time.
    Meanwhile what is The Mail trying to say now? If your disabled or going to be disabled, you can't run for an office or shouldn't?
    That will come as news to other world blind elected representatives and disabled people!
    (Lets not forget A Mr Roosevelt made it was president of America, did his job great and he was in a wheel-chair)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

dvpower wrote: »
    This is another bit of nonsense tbh. A throwaway remark, obviously not intentional.
    I really wish the papers (and everyone else) would stick to the real issues and real flaws in the candidates, of which there are many.

Not really, it was a bad thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    To real Patriotic Irish men he is a patriotic hero. A fighter against an evil illegal occupation.
    Real patriots recognise that a country is made up of its people, and not the land they occupy. Killing your kin in the name of a piece of land is not patriotism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Real patriots recognise that a country is made up of its people, and not the land they occupy. Killing your kin in the name of a piece of land is not patriotism.

I take it you'd be the type to sit back and do nothing while your denied your proper voting rights, your families homes are been burned down and innocent people in your area are been shot at human rights marches by the people who are meant to be protecting you.

NI in them times was anything but Irish.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

cowzerp wrote: »
    I take it you'd be the type to sit back and do nothing while your denied your proper voting rights, your families homes are been burned down and innocent people in your area are been shot at human rights marches by the people who are meant to be protecting you.

NI in them times was anything but Irish.

What was it like in the 80's and 90's?

You know, the time when people like John Hume were trying to bring the people together through peaceful methods instead of setting bombs off in pubs and office buildings?

I guess he was not a patriot though since he didn't fight 'against an evil illegal occupation'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I take it you'd be the type to sit back and do nothing while your denied your proper voting rights, your families homes are been burned down and innocent people in your area are been shot at human rights marches by the people who are meant to be protecting you..

Were the people in those marches 'doing nothing' as a matter of interest? Did men like Ivan Cooper and John Hume 'sit back and do nothing'?

Does it only count as 'doing something' when you get a gang of twelve heroes together to drag a mother of ten out of her house and shoot her in the head?

Or abducting, tortuting and murdering a farmer and father from Louth? Or shooting dead a 23 year old teacher on the steps of a church... Well done those men and women. They really achieved a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The murderers were not patriots. They were traitors.

Some people need to wise up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I would normally react by murdering innocent children by placing bombs in litter bins in their town.

It's 'coz I'm a patriot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

He could be a child rapist and his blind idiotic followers would still vote for him.

You left out "West Brit" - for shame kevin, you're slipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

reprazant wrote: »
    What was it like in the 80's and 90's?

You know, the time when people like John Hume were trying to bring the people together through peaceful methods instead of setting bombs off in pubs and office buildings?

I guess he was not a patriot though since he didn't fight 'against an evil illegal occupation'

John Hume was unsuccessful in every avenue he took, which was a shame, the only thing the brits understood was retaliation.

Tell you what, whenever you get stripped of your rights, lose your job because of what religion is on your birth certificate, stopped and searched randomly by a police force that colluded with Unionist paramilitaries that want all Irish and catholic people dead, then perhaps you can formulate a coherent and valid argument.

Until then you are just another smug tabloid type, with no appreciation of the struggle that people in Northern Ireland faced.

Real patriots recognise that a country is made up of its people, and not the land they occupy.

I agree, but would you like to be in a country that treats you as a second hand citizen because of what is on your birth certificate? Again the only argument you are putting across is a load of thanks whore nonsense with no substance whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Anyone read the comments on the Norris for pres FB page?

It's baffling how naive most of the posters are. Half of them think he can do no wrong and think everyone is out to get Norris. The other half think that he's going to be able to change Ireland if he gets into a largely ceremonial role.

Don't get me wrong I like Norris but I'm amazed at how naive and blind his fanboys are.

I would have voted for him but for the fact that he displayed poor judgement in regard to the letter and his fairly brazen re-entry to the race after he had rightly withdrawn.

Blah blah blah.
    Bernard Teggert, from the New Barnsley area, was just 15 years old when he was abducted and killed by the IRA, which claimed at the time that he had been a security force informant. In 1973 the teenager was kidnapped from a Glen Road training school and later found with gunshot wounds to the head in north Belfast. A piece of paper with the word “tout” written on it was pinned to his chest.
    In 2004 the organisation admitted responsibility for his death and apologised to the Teggert family for the pain and grief it had caused.
    It is now said that senior republicans have in addition confirmed to the family that they accept Bernard was not an informer.

http://saoirse32.blogsome.com/2009/08/08/p14004/

Did the above murder of a special needs child get anyone thier job back? Grown men (our so called patriotic heroes) once again murdering somebody for no reason? Oops, our bad!

Gillian Johnson..
    Gillian Johnson was a twenty-one year old chemist and shop worker from Tonaghgorm, Legg, near Belleek, County Fermanagh. She was engaged for two years, having dated her fiance since she was fifteen. She and her fiance were sitting in her father's car, outside her home, when members of the IRA opened fire some thirty times, killing her and badly wounding her fiance.
    The IRA later claimed the killing was a mistake, that the intended target was a close family member who was supposed to be a member of the UDR. However no member of the Johnson family, nor that of her fiance, had any connection to the security forces.

Thirty odd shots at a young unarmed couple sitting in a car. Oops. Our bad. How many stop and search's did that murder prevent?

My definition of patriotic hero really differs from some people's I suppose.

Gay Mitchell is saying he has a "wicked sense of humour" that no one else sees. If that is the case, he should put, "I'm gay too!" on his campaign posters.

prinz wrote: »
    My definition of patriotic hero really differs from some people's I suppose.

No only are you not a patriot, but you are also just another smug tabloid type, with no appreciation of the struggle that people in Northern Ireland faced.

I'll throw in West Brit as well for good measure.

Blah rhetoric crap condescending post

Did I say anyone was a patriotic hero? No.

No only are you not a patriot, but you are also just another smug tabloid type, with no appreciation of the struggle that people in Northern Ireland faced.

I'll throw in West Brit as well for good measure.

Are you going to add to the debate without resorting to pathetic little digs?

Honestly what where the alternatives?

Just for the record I in no way support the actions of the above, there where bad elements of the IRA that is well known.

No only are you not a patriot, but you are also just another smug tabloid type, with no appreciation of the struggle that people in Northern Ireland faced. I'll throw in West Brit as well for good measure.

:pac: Good man yourself. Murdering completely innocent people with no chance to defend themselves was all part of the glorious struggle...

• Advertisement

Are you going to add to the debate without resorting to pathetic little digs?

Debate instead of pathetic little digs?

Interesting since you branded me as being 'just another smug tabloid type, with no appreciation of the struggle that people in Northern Ireland faced' for not being of the same opinion as you.

Is that what you define as 'debate'?

:pac: Good man yourself. Murdering completely innocent people with no chance to defend was all part of the glorious struggle...

Denying rights to people based on nationality and religion is acceptable then?

Debate instead of pathetic little digs?

Interesting since you branded me as being 'just another smug tabloid type, with no appreciation of the struggle that people in Northern Ireland faced' for not being of the same opinion as you.

Is that what you define as 'debate'?

No, I was giving you an opinion on what I think of your posts.

They reminded me of tabloid newspapers.

Enjoy the election lads. :)

So sneering a posts is fine as long as it is not your post that get sneered at?

Right.

No of course not. It's not an either/or option. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Two wrongs, etc.

I would argue that paramilitary activities exacerbated the civil liberties issues in Northern Ireland, and not vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

To you he is a terrorist, to the Brits he was a terrorist. To real Patriotic Irish men he is a patriotic hero. A fighter against an evil illegal occupation.

But apparently Irish women have no opinion on the matter.

Two wrongs, etc.

I would argue that paramilitary activities exacerbated the civil liberties issues in Northern Ireland, and not vice-versa.

You can't be serious, alternative measures were sought, (People are fond of mentioning John Hume) but nothing made it to the table. Nothing was being done by the British to improve this and it took fairly influential figures from both sides of the unionist and republican community to settle things amicably.

Middle of the road politicians didn't have much of a say, which is a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Like it or not, the fact remains that whomever is elected will not be president of a united Ireland. We are going to elect a head of State of a 26 county republic - any chance we could focus on that and not get bogged down in events that occurred in, what is in fact, still a foreign jurisdiction (even if they did spill over) until such time as a referendum in both 26 and 6 counties decides otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A genuine question to people who spout this sort of rhetoric.

Do you agree with the Al-Queda and their campaign against America? Do you think it would be ok to justify the 9-11 attacks by saying "Sure they were only being patriotic against what they considered an evil nation"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement