Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What are the Gay Mitchell posters like in your area? Round these parts he's all windswept and agricultural:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/iuvgr.jpg?f22064

Whereas in the cities he's more 'man about town'
    http://s2.jrnl.ie/media/2011/09/slogans-310x415.jpg

Gay's diversity and marketability across the spectrum really appeals to me as a Joe Soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Had to drive from Cork to Shannon twice over the weekend - noticed once you leave the 'urban' areas the posters all seem to be McGuinness. His face was peering at me from every fecking 3rd lamppost - a few Mitchell posters up in the smaller towns then once the speed limit hit 100 it was Marty a go-go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Mitchell posters up in Drogheda remind me of a Doctor Who villain :P

The Mitchell posters up in Drogheda remind me of a Doctor Who villain :P

Gay Mitchell is The Master!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm leaning toward Sean Gallagher. For me he is the only one who doesn't need the job. He could use the office to open open doors for Irish business around the world.

I heard him speak at electric picnic and was impressed with his passion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

A genuine question to people who spout this sort of rhetoric.

Do you agree with the Al-Queda and their campaign against America? Do you think it would be ok to justify the 9-11 attacks by saying "Sure they were only being patriotic against what they considered an evil nation"?

Al Queada is just a press made hype organisation, this suited the brits and more so the Americans to go to war in oil rich countries-America have many enemies and a lot of there reasons are very genuine as to why they would dislike the Americans, but like all thing's-Those in power will have the press preaching there propaganda in these matters

ps, i in no way endorse 9/11 etc or any of these attacks but i do realise lot's of these people have reason in there minds as to why they hit back

The British where the biggest Terrorists on this island and calibrated with loyalist paramilitarys against it's own subjects!

The Americans also do lot's of "legal" terrorism using propaganda to back up there mostly bs reasons for going to war against many countries

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Al Queada is just a press made hype organisation, this suited the brits and more so the Americans to go to war in oil rich countries-America have many enemies and a lot of there reasons are very genuine as to why they would dislike the Americans, but like all thing's-Those in power will have the press preaching there propaganda in these matters

ps, i in no way endorse 9/11 etc or any of these attacks but i do realise lot's of these people have reason in there minds as to why they hit back

The British where the biggest Terrorists on this island and calibrated with loyalist paramilitarys against it's own subjects!

The Americans also do lot's of "legal" terrorism using propaganda to back up there mostly bs reasons for going to war against many countries

So, given your use of the term 'it's own subjects', do you acknowledge British jurisdiction in NI?

In which case - what do events there have to do with the political process here? It's been over 80 years since the British has jurisdiction here (note - the term 'here' in this context refers to the 26 county republic and it's predecessor the Irish Free State)

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    So, given your use of the term 'it's own subjects', do you acknowledge British jurisdiction in NI?

In which case - what do events there have to do with the political process here? It's been over 80 years since the British has jurisdiction here (note - the term 'here' in this context refers to the 26 county republic and it's predecessor the Irish Free State)

Of course i aknowledge it-i don't agree with it but it's a fact so yes i do aknowledge it.

The people of the north have the same rights to Irish nationality as we do now-Good friday agreement

Of course i aknowledge it-i don't agree with it but it's a fact so yes i do aknowledge it.

The people of the north have the same rights to Irish nationality as we do now-Good friday agreement

I was just wondering as I have met republicans who don't recognise either British jurisdiction in NI or the Irish State (26 county republic).

So, and this is a genuine question, do you think the internal politics of NI should have such a serious impact on political life here or should we only concern ourselves - particularly in the context of a presidential election - with events within our current boarders?

So, and this is a genuine question, do you think the internal politics of NI should have such a serious impact on political life here or should we only concern ourselves - particularly in the context of a presidential election - with events within our current boarders?

i do think we should be in touch with politics up north-and in fact lot's of the politics is cross border now.

If it impacts us we should concern ourselves-if not i still think we should be aware, but in reality i'm from Dublin and no little of Cork politics so apart from more media attention no reason why i'd be overly aware with Belfast politics for example.

• Advertisement

i do think we should be in touch with politics up north-and in fact lot's of the politics is cross border now.

If it impacts us we should concern ourselves-if not i still think we should be aware, but in reality i'm from Dublin and no little of Cork politics so apart from more media attention no reason why i'd be overly aware with Belfast politics for example.

I agree we should be aware - but it seems to me, probably due to MMG's candidacy, that the attention paid to /discussion of the internal politics of NI is to the forefront while little attention is being paid to our internal politics on a regional level. Is this focus on NI not distracting from the very serious issues we face here?

I agree we should be aware - but it seems to me, probably due to MMG's candidacy, that the attention paid to /discussion of the internal politics of NI is to the forefront while little attention is being paid to our internal politics on a regional level. Is this focus on NI not distracting from the very serious issues we face here?

The peace process is as important to the south as it is to the north-we both voted on it remember.

The peace process is as important to the south as it is to the north-we both voted on it remember.

I agree it is important - my point is so are the internal issues of, for example, Munster - for many of those living here NI is far far away and quite far down the list of important issues - yet scant attention is paid to the largest province in the state while a great deal is paid to a foreign jurisdiction. You said it yourself - you know little of what is happening in Cork - our second city - but believe you should concern yourself with what happens in Belfast - a city not even in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Gay Mitchell has finally answered the one question that all the other men in the race have been avoiding.

I agree it is important - my point is so are the internal issues of, for example, Munster - for many of those living here NI is far far away and quite far down the list of important issues - yet scant attention is paid to the largest province in the state while a great deal is paid to a foreign jurisdiction. You said it yourself - you know little of what is happening in Cork - our second city - but believe you should concern yourself with what happens in Belfast - a city not even in this country.

Your twisting my words-i said i would not know much about belfast, just like i would not know about Munster politics, what i do know is, is about international/National politics which is what the good friday agreement etc is

Your twisting my words-i said i would not know much about belfast, just like i would not know about Munster politics, what i do know is, is about international/National politics which is what the good friday agreement etc is

I apologise if I misinterpreted what you said - it was not intentional.

My point is not aimed specifically at you, but you are the only republican responding and I am genuinely interested in the motivation of people with such passionately held political beliefs.

My point is that it seems to me, and I am not alone in this, that far more attention is being spent on arguing the rights and wrongs of events which occurred in another country by supporters of Martin McGuiness and precious little discussion of the reality facing people in this country now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Though we were all republicans. Can tell you I was born in the republic anyway. Didn't spend my childhood being terrorised by Brits either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Though we were all republicans. Can tell you I was born in the republic anyway. Didn't spend my childhood being terrorised by Brits either.

Being a citizen of a republic doesn't make a person a republican. You could be from the Republic but still advocate monarchy, making you a monarchist. Besides, 'republican' has a very specific meaning in an Irish context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm leaning toward Sean Gallagher. For me he is the only one who doesn't need the job. He could use the office to open open doors for Irish business around the world.

I heard him speak at electric picnic and was impressed with his passion.

I actually like the man - the only failing that I can see is that he got himself mixed up in FF to a heavy degree.
    People can justly say "everyone makes mistakes" - I take that into account but as things got so bad under FF in their latter years, especially under Mr Ahern, that he should have got out/withdrawn from FF if he had an decency and/or tried to do something (or at least show he was trying to do something from within) from with beside actually sticking with them on their downward spiral.
    Then he says on the Late Late Show quite clearly "I don't come from a political background".

Sadly he let himself down there too.

There is a lot of nice things about the man to admire - but before he sits in a presidents chair, he needs to be more clean and honest, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

... are we?

I was born in a hospital, doesn't mean I'm a doctor...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    ... are we?

I was born in a hospital, doesn't mean I'm a doctor...

The Duke of Wellington once responded to claims that he was Irish because he was born in Dublin with
    Being born in a stable doesn't make one a horse

So is anyone else tuning in to Vincent Brown at 9?
    I bet right now, they are all giving the final touches to their soundbites and looking over their notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Biggins wrote: »
    I bet right now, they are all giving the final touches to their soundbites and looking over their notes.

And Vincent is foaming at the mouth.

Cheers for the heads up - didn't know it started at 9!

woodoo wrote: »
    And Vincent is foaming at the mouth.

I say he's chewing at the bit to get at them! :D
    He might score big tonight in TV ratings. Make Tub's look like a poodle! :pac:

Now the way they are lined up, this looks like a real debate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thats some photoshop job on Mary Davis posters.

LOL Dana trying to get a speech in and trying to change subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Norris : "Vote for me cos I'm great"

• Advertisement

LOL Dana trying to get a speech in and trying to change subject!

She knows about the repo man - did you not see in today's IT she has been on a council estate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement