Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What about the inanimate carbon rod ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

But the stuff surrounding Norris - you don't grow out of that, you don't put that behind you.

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/3/32/KennethWilliams.jpg/300px-KennethWilliams.jpg
    MagicSean wrote: »
    It's easier than using ephebophilia or hebephilia and means the same to most people simpletons.

Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I was not aware that many people in Ireland wanted to bugger 15 year old boys.

The 2 candidates with ethical questions surrounding them are well ahead of the rest. On a positive note Norris, the probable winner, had the decency and enough respect for the role to answer the questions, unlike McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Inanimate Carbon Rod didn't get enough nominations? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No, but when I was 15 I thought some of my teachers were dead hot, and I wouldn't have felt in any way abused if they had decided that what they really, truly desired was an overrweight 15-year-old with only a smattering of acne.

So what? The reason the law exists is to protect people who think like that. And if you're teacher had buggered you when you were 15 do you think it would have had any long term effects on you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I hate the IRA, but I can accept that they're gone - never to return. I can accept that MMG can put his past behind him.

But the stuff surrounding Norris - you don't grow out of that, you don't put that behind you.. No thank you.

Hilarious post.

You can forgive someone who used to be in command of a terrorist organization responsible for the death of 1,700 people, yet someone who asked for clemency for a convicted pederast is an abomination?

Not a supporter of Norris BTW. One of these men is a mere political disgrace, the other is a disgrace of a human being.

COYW wrote: »
    The 2 candidates with ethical questions surrounding them are well ahead of the rest. On a positive note Norris, the probable winner, had the decency and enough respect for the role to answer the questions, unlike McGuinness.

No he didn't. He accused the journalist of making up the quote, then of using it out of context, then said she misunderstood him. It's quite clear what he meant. Then when it came to the issue with his boyfriend he didn't see anything wrong with protecting a pervert, he was just sorry he had abused his position. There is nothing noble about him. Everything he does is selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Hilarious post.

You can forgive someone who used to be in command of a terrorist organization responsible for the death of 1,700 people, yet someone who asked for clemency for a convicted pederast is an abomination?

Not a supporter of Norris BTW. One of these men is a mere political disgrace, the other is a disgrace of a human being.

I think it's that he doesn't believe in clemency for "self hating jews" more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*Looks at poll*

"Anyone got any jump-leads for Gay Mitchell"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You find people's concern's re. sex with underage boys "pettiness".

Erm, no thanks he's not for me.

Why did his original campaign team dump on him - and this was at the time when we only knew the contents of two letter's pleading clemency for a rapist ex-boyfriend.

Now there are SIX more undisclosed letter's.

I like Norris, originally I ran a Norris banner as my sig.

I hate the IRA, but I can accept that they're gone - never to return. I can accept that MMG can put his past behind him.

But the stuff surrounding Norris - you don't grow out of that, you don't put that behind you.. No thank you.

No, I find the fact that obvious smear campeign is obvious.

The whole thing wreaks too much of 'OMFG THE GAYS WILL RAPE OUT CHILDREN IF HE GETS INTO OFFICE!' for my liking.
    It's easier than using ephebophilia or hebephilia and means the same to most people.

But that's the point - they're not the same thing. Therefore the fact that it 'means the same to most people' fuels the 'won't someone PLEASE think of the children!' moral outrage brigade when it's misinformed and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Norris currently has my vote too. If anything the pettiness of this smear campaign makes me want to vote for him even more.

Yet earlier...
    Likewise, a 'Provisional IRA Martin McGuinness circa 1970' option would be nice for the RA heads amongst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm torn between Higgins, McGuinness & Gallagher atm. I'll more than likely give Higgins the number 1. Gallagher has went up an awful lot in my estimation over the course of this whole thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

whycliff wrote: »
    Other than being a Gay Rights Activist and famous for his secret letters, can someone please explain to me why Norris is so popular?

He done the Hokey cokey there for a few weeks.

Is his links to and views upon the age of consent and sex with minors not putting people off?

Apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

If it mean's moving the peace process forward, then yes I can.

A lot of it sticks in my throat to do so, the murder of Tim Parry & Jonathan Ball in Warrington, the murder of Garda McCabe & the trainee garda and an Irish soldier during the Don Tidy rescue to name but a few.

However I'm going to vote in this election, as I do in all other's, and for me MMG (for now) has my number #1.

I'm completely undecided where I'll place my #2, '#3 etc so I'm still interested in the debate on the rest.

If Norris got the park, I wouldn't lose sleep either - but there's a long way to go. I'm guessing the next few weeks are going to get filthy and the results of this pole may be outdated by this day next week.

Its all to fight for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The whole thing wreaks too much of 'OMFG THE GAYS WILL RAPE OUT CHILDREN IF HE GETS INTO OFFICE!' for my liking.

No one is saying that. ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE.

But Norris supporters are throwing it out there to discredit valid opinons on his despicable and unacceptable actions.
    But that's the point - they're not the same thing. Therefore the fact that it 'means the same to most people' fuels the 'won't someone PLEASE think of the children!' moral outrage brigade when it's misinformed and wrong.

Misinformed and wrong covers your first sentence alright.

Master of the Universe

Yet earlier...

That was said in jest to a reply to a stupid trollish post. But you know, taking comments out of context is what it's all about really, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

would have voted for Norris until he was exposed for sending the clemency letters. Now seeing the easy time he's getting from the media there is no way i'd vote for him plus i think he's capable of too many brain farts to be head of this state.

mcGuinness - never.

Davis & Gallagher are FF stooges - no vote for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If it mean's moving the peace process forward, then yes I can.

What needs to be "moved forward", and how can putting a former high-ranking terrorist into presidential office "move it forward" ?

If anything, McGuinness will entrench people into opposing camps even more. I know that his presence in the race sickens me, and I know that - should he be elected - my faith and hope in this country's future will be severely dented.

Having someone who can't even bring himself to name the state by it's proper name as its president will be an absolute farce if it comes to pass.

Funny comment coming from someone with a vote Martin McGuinness sig?

Norris currently has my vote too. If anything the pettiness of this smear campaign makes me want to vote for him even more.

If you're so worried about smear campaigns (petty or otherwise) one can only presume you'll be giving Martin McGuinness your number 2 vote.

Well maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Jesus wept. Norris on 41%.

Let nobody who says they're voting for Norris ever criticise or complain about the likes of Bertie Ahern, John O'Donoghue, Michael Lowry again. Cause if you do, as I'm concerned, that'd make you a hypocrite, pure and simple.

After the heartache of the last 3 years we've been collectively crying out for a change from gombeen politics where TD's etc have inappropriately used their position to influence that which is none of their business. And here we are with Norris on 41%.

No wonder Ireland is on its last legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For an intelligent person thats some load of bollox to post up.

The next few weeks will be good, some candidate will have sh*t weeks and suffer in the poles & other's will shine.

Tbh I think its Higgins to throw away at this stage - but we've hardly heard a thing from the man, but damn he's old.

If MMG is the statesman that people say he is then I look forward to a public debate with the other's.

Norris - he'll get the gay vote for sure, he just has to convince the rest of us.

Dana & the rest - fluff.

Master of the Universe

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No one is saying that. ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE.

But Norris supporters are throwing it out there to discredit valid opinons on his despicable and unacceptable actions..

So you speak for everyone now, yes?

There are plenty of anti gay bigots who think along those lines and want nothing more than to smear him out of the running.

Do you reckon all of this would have been brought to the surface in the same way if he wasn't gay?

I'm not 'throwing it out there to discredit valid opinons' - I think it's a storm in a teacup playing on previous misinformed backwards notions about homosexuals to discredit a gay man from becoming president.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    If you're so worried about smear campaigns (petty or otherwise) one can only presume you'll be giving Martin McGuinness your number 2 vote.

There are petty smear camaigns regarding someone's sexuality and then there are simple facts that a person was found with a car full of explosives, ammunition and spent time in prison for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I probably won't vote.The whole things a meat parade with no political meaning imo,If there was an option to abolish the standing it'd get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Definately not McGuinness - I respect the few friends I have in the army too much to make them salute and parade for that man, to get their honours from him and act as his retinue.

If the Irish Army were professional enough to do the job for Eamonn De Valera, a man who instigated a war that saw 800 Irish soldiers killed, then I assume the current crop of soldiers would be no less professional with McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Deedsie wrote: »
    I know we already have a poll, but it doesn't have all the official candidates options we would want. It is the biggest field to ever contest a presidential election! Hopefully it will be an interesting, enjoyable campaign where the best man or woman wins!

So now that we know the seven candidates, who do you intend to vote for on Thursday October 27th, 2011?

There's still an option missing: I'm not from Norther Ireland, and I can't vote.

(Well, I can, but others might not be able to)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So you speak for everyone now, yes?

There are plenty of anti gay bigots who think along those lines and want nothing more than to smear him out of the running.

Do you reckon all of this would have been brought to the surface in the same way if he wasn't gay?

I'm not 'throwing it out there to discredit valid opinons' - I think it's a storm in a teacup playing on previous misinformed backwards notions about homosexuals to discredit a gay man from becoming president.

There are petty smear camaigns regarding someone's sexuality and then there are simple facts that a person was found with a car full of explosives, ammunition and spent time in prison for it.

To vote for someone simply becuase they've been "smeared" as you mentioned in a previous post cannot be a good enough reason to vote for someone. Surely it should be a case of judging someone based on their suitability for the office for which they are running.

I probably won't be voting for Martin McGuinness but as he fills the necessary constitutional criteria to run for president he is entitled to run whether one likes it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Definately not McGuinness - I respect the few friends I have in the army too much to make them salute and parade for that man, to get their honours from him and act as his retinue.

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks,you've made up my mind on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Gallagher has went up an awful lot in my estimation over the course of this whole thing though.

He is one shrewd operator and I think he would represent the country very well when abroad from a business perspective. As a salesperson for the county, no one else can hold a candle to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

113 votes and zero for Gay Mitchell. Well done after hours.

• Advertisement

I think it's the opposite. It's more along the lines of "OMG a gay, we must vote for him so we can look progressive." He is educated and well spoken. He has no other qualities that make him a good candidate. His actions and beliefs in relation to underage sex is the last thing we need in a president.

They're still children either way. It doesn't make him any less of a pervert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement