Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

MungBean wrote: »
    Will you be voting Dana or Mary ?

Mary has no chance at all. Dana is my choice but I'm not sure yet, I need to see more from her. I felt micky D was to old but watching him tonight he is still up there and knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

hondasam wrote: »
    I think he will do well enough and yes it will be close.
    I cannot see Norris in the last three.

It will be Norris, McGuinness and Michael D. Cant see Gallagher doing as well as those and the rest are non runners as far as I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

He also praised certain unionists for being peacemakers.
    Better late than never that he recognises the unionists are peacemakers ....but it was cheap spin designed to win votes. He sniped at their communities for long enough and there is still distrust there. The 2 main unionist parties were always peacemakers , relatively speaking ; it was McGuinness PIRA organisation which were the people who were the cutting edge in the " armed struggle" / breaking the peace by planting bombs, kidnapping + disappearing people, putting devices under cars , robbing banks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Mary has no chance at all. Dana is my choice but I'm not sure yet, I need to see more from her. I felt micky D was to old but watching him tonight he is still up there and knows his stuff.

Out of interest, would you have voted for or considered voting for Gay Byrne if he was running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

He did come across as someone who knows his stuff but in fairness he didnt have attacks launched on him like the others.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Out of interest, would you have voted for or considered voting for Gay Byrne if he was running?

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Would his age have come in to it or just his personality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

That TV3 opinion poll has just confirmed my notion that Norris support is blind. How anyone thought he came 2nd in that is beyond me when in my humble opinion he was infact woeful.

I know one or two might think in the last day or two I have been attacking Norris. I would also go on about Dana & Mitchell but the world isn't blind to their nonsense so I don't feel the need to highlight it.

As I have asked MANY times on boards (with zero responses yet); can anyone tell me anything of note about Norris? (And don't play the 'Norris v Ireland' card - anyone with a brain and a bit of research can recall his role was less than 10% of Robinson's even McAleese's in that).

Would his age have come in to it or just his personality?

Personality only.

Personality only.

So why is Michael D too old at 70 and it is not a factor for Gay Byrne when he is already 77?

• Advertisement

can anyone tell me anything of note about Norris?
    easier to say what he's not ; he is not a reformed terrorist ( who arrived at the late late studios last Friday in a BMW X5 and says he'll live on € 30k a year - that euro, not northern bank notes per year ) and he is not a warbling croaking god-botherer. Neither did he serve on government boards like the special olympics and get 155k a year for that.

So why is Michael D too old at 70 and it is not a factor for Gay Byrne when he is already 77?

I said I thought he was to old and Gay Byrne is not a candidate and no point in discussing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

gigino wrote: »
    easier to say what he's not ;

Suitable for the role of President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If you vote for Dana who would get your number 2 Sam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

strobe wrote: »

Jesus?

strobe wrote: »

I always tick all the boxes but last election I did number 1 only.
    I think I might do the same this time but again I have not made up my mind.
    I will say Norris, McGuinness,would not get anything from me.The others I might consider.

scrap the role of president and the tens of millions we are borrowing this year alone for same. We cannot afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

MungBean wrote: »
    I think he's one of three people who stand a chance of winning it. Nobody will run away with it.

I think Marty's problem is going to be transfers. A lot of people will vote him in at number one for various reasons but for people unconvinced enough to 1 him it's likely only a very very small number of the rest will drop him a 2. I think he has to win outright to have any hope of taking it and I think it's unlikely any candidate will do that, the votes too spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

scrap the role of president and the tens of millions we are borrowing this year alone for same. We cannot afford it.
    I think it costs about 2.5m pa to run the presidency

dvpower wrote: »
    I think it costs about 2.5m pa to run the presidency
    are'nt they spending 21 million on posting election literature this year alone.

The budget decefit this year has increased to 21 billion ! ....all of which is being borrowed. As Geldof used to sing, "Banana republic..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

The 2 main unionist parties were always peacemakers

That is a fucking disgusting lie and complete revisionism but it is what one would come to expect from someone like you. Absolute horseshit of the highest degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15176437

Gay Mitchell should apologies to MMG now he has published his bank details showing his income and expenditure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    That is a fucking disgusting lie and complete revisionism but it is what one would come to expect from someone like you. Absolute horseshit of the highest degree.

Easy tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

lol at Vincents books in regards to Martin Mcguinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

1. Norris is just doing what everyone else does in politics. He's even said it himself. Fair enough. Why vote for him or defend him?...unless you want to look like those 'Arise & follow Charlie' yokels or defenders-of-da-Bertie/Pee/you-pick.

2. Yer man & Norris are no longer in a relationship... I wonder how long after those citizenship papers came through passed before the old "not you, it's me" record got played. If this was a Senator pleading/outraging on whether citizenship will be granted his hot bit of stuff female 'partner' from North Africa (shades of Silvio)... & then when she got citizenship, the relationship ended, he'd be a laughing stock, irrespective of what the 'true story behind it all' was.

3. This letters thing won't go away until he stops rearranging his excuse like it's a kind of anagram & publishes.

4. What hasn't been revealed yet? If these newspapers are acting as scummy as some say, then it'll be very clear by polling day... however, I'd sooner we see any new revelations before the election, rather than face a ridiculous crisis any time after it.

5. Either way, the post is fairly unimportant in the day-to-day (except the whole separation of powers thing which matters less & less since Lisbon 2), we should be pressing that all candidates accept a substantially lower wage/expenses/etc. - & I would like clarification on this fund Norris has mentioned (which seems a step in the right direction), especially regarding the associated pension.

I don't quote myself often... however, I've got to 'update' on points 4 & 5;

WTF? Is/was he on DA while getting Senator's gravy? if so, then I'm sure he'll get in, as he'd "understand" the plight of those "scraping by" on a "state payment" (or should that be a "paltry state payment"?)... &, rightly so too, for if this DA story is true, he defo' won't need the salary, as he'd be well used to making ends meet on a much lower income... PLUS, if this "dirt" "dug up" by a press that theoretically should reveal this kind of thing is true, then we can send him over to EU HQ, assured that whatever we are "entitled" to, he'll find out about.

TL;DR: Norris is a man of the people & will be sure to fish us a couple of hundred billion that we didn't even know we were entitled to apply for under EU regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

are'nt they spending 21 million on posting election literature this year alone.

The budget decefit this year has increased to 21 billion ! ....all of which is being borrowed. As Geldof used to sing, "Banana republic..."

You're not seeing the big picture... think of all the postive publicity we are getting & will get, going forward, internationally... yeah, it pays to think outside of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You're not seeing the big picture... think of all the postive publicity we are getting & will get, going forward, internationally... yeah, it pays to think outside of the box.

Or in Michael D's case it pays to stand on the box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If Norris had any dignity, he would not have ran in the election.

You know about dignity?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cosanostra wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15176437

Gay Mitchell should apologies to MMG now he has published his bank details showing his income and expenditure

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The election very simply is coming down to a process of elimination -

Dana - just no. All kinds of nothing.
    Sean Gallagher - no genuine experience, full of soundbytes and cliches.
    Mary Davis - no.
    Gay Mitchell - I'm starting to think he is only in the election to try stop McGuinness. Can't stop thinking of Bimbo Reeves from The Van when I look at him.

Leaves us with Norris - who can't shake off this 'letters' problem and now a new set of problems with the benefits claims; McGuinness - who I can't actually believe is running in this election when he was head of an organisation that was responsible for deaths this side of the border and as far as I'm concerned is a criminal; and Michael D. who, despite me knowing little about, seems to be fairly sharp on his politics and constitution.

Would prefer if there was a younger, possibly more innovative candidate but Michael D. is looking like the only possible option given the rest of the pack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement