Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

The election very simply is coming down to a process of elimination -

Dana - just no. All kinds of nothing.
    Sean Gallagher - no genuine experience, full of soundbytes and cliches.
    Mary Davis - no.
    Gay Mitchell - I'm starting to think he is only in the election to try stop McGuinness. Can't stop thinking of Bimbo Reeves from The Van when I look at him.

Leaves us with Norris - who can't shake off this 'letters' problem and now a new set of problems with the benefits claims; McGuinness - who I can't actually believe is running in this election when he was head of an organisation that was responsible for deaths this side of the border and as far as I'm concerned is a criminal; and Michael D. who despite knowing little about, seems to be fairly sharp on his politics and constitution.

Would prefer if there was a younger, possibly more innovative candidate but Michael D. is looking like the only possible option given the rest of the pack.

Yeah, sure... will MICHAEL D get me a weekly payment direct from Brussels which I am entitled to as I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from having had Fianna Fail & the Greens as a government? No, he won't.

I'm voting for someone who I know can & will get me my cheque.. or direct debit would be handier... rather than me having to go into the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

cosanostra wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15176437

Gay Mitchell should apologies to MMG now he has published his bank details showing his income and expenditure

He published his BOI bank account details.

No mention of the Northern Rock "account", I see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Vincent Brown needs to learn to chair a debate instead of taking part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gallagher, Norris and McGuinness all behaved as normal politicians with stuff to hide. Davis was a non entity and Dana and Mitchell are in some alternative reality around about 80's Ireland. Michael D. for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Hon McGuinness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

That fùcking twee songbird dana, why is she more akin to a pneumatic drill?

What's the betting the JJB Sports sale was a Lions Jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:D, I'm sure he had a couple of million going into the account then! :D

Wonder who pays for the X5 which chauffers him about?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

K-9 wrote: »
    Gallagher, Norris and McGuinness all behaved as normal politicians with stuff to hide. Davis was a non entity and Dana and Mitchell are in some alternative reality around about 80's Ireland. Michael D. for me.

I think time stopped for Dana when she won the Eurovision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

why isnt roy keanes book in the thread? its ace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

nuxxx wrote: »
    why isnt roy keanes book in the thread? its ace.

wrong thread mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Does anyone know what Norris was claiming disability for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

KeithAFC wrote: »
    lol at Vincents books in regards to Martin Mcguinness.

LOL indeed, what a pathetic attempt to try and discredit him, and put him off his stride, as I've said elsewhere: "This debate is a walk in the park (pun intended) for MMG who has dealt with many many people with far far worse attitudes towards him"

@KeithAFC: you seem to pop up in all threads relating to (26 county) Irish politics, its nice of you to give your opinion in this one, seeing as MMG will be a 32 county president, representing all the people of this island...............

orourkeda wrote: »

16 years, I heard.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

orourkeda wrote: »

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flocal-national%2Frepublic-of-ireland%2Firish-presidential-candidate-david-norris-claimed-disability-payments-for-16-years-16059212.html&ei=7KqLTvXwH4iV8QOF2o3SBg&usg=AFQjCNE52LWpveA_Fhwx0FXkaXIzxktUlw

According to a piece in today's mail he faces losing his sight, he said he has already lost part of his vision.
    might be something to do with this, dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Silly man .......... as kids we were all warned that it could make you blind! The lesser evil was hair growing on your palm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

gigino wrote: »
    The 2 main unionist parties were always peacemakers , relatively speaking ;.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Whether you are voting for McMG or not that comment is actually shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

nice_very wrote: »
    LOL indeed, what a pathetic attempt to try and discredit him, and put him off his stride...
    Discredit him? By pointing out the lie that MMG insists on, that everyone, including his own supporters, know is a lie.
    He discredits himself every time he persists with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

can anyone tell me anything of note about Norris?

I'm going to say why I was attracted to him as a candidate before the whole letter scandal started. I think he's charismatic, enthusiastic and educated. As others have said, it's now become a situation of who people think is the lesser of evils, but before the whole letter business, I thought it was a man who had all the nessecary characteristics for a position which doesn't contain many important governmental roles.

Anyway, didn't see much of the debate last night. Came in on the last 25 mins and it was mostly VB and Norris talking over each other, with the final few moments being VB going :"Ah jaysus Mcguinness, your mates killed a few people but we've only got 30 seconds left, GO!"
    Did the others get any time whatsoever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I probably wont vote but if I do it will be for Norris - I dont know about anyof their political stance but once I was worknig in town and Norris stopped and spoke to me for 30 minutes about 10 months ago- really nice person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I probably wont vote but if I do it will be for Norris - I dont know about anyof their political stance but once I was worknig in town and Norris stopped and spoke to me for 30 minutes about 10 months ago- really nice person

;) I am not voting for DN as when i was in town and seen him he never came over & talked to me :p:) that was about 5 years ago.:pac:

realies wrote: »
    ;) I am not voting for DN as when i was in town and seen him he never came over & talked to me :p:) that was about 5 years ago.:pac:

Obviously your not his type :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

What happened 10 months ago that was so interesting it took him 30 minutes to get away from you?

Kasabian wrote: »
    What happened 10 months ago that was so interesting it took him 30 minutes to get away from you?

No he stopped and he was asking me what I had planned for the future and whether the job I was doing was full time. I asked him about UCD and he told me it was actually trinity, we had some LOLz and then he left

and it was actually about 8 months not 10 sorry guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

No he stopped and he was asking me what I had planned for the future and whether the job I was doing was full time. I asked him about UCD and he told me it was actually trinity, we had some LOLz and then he left

and it was actually about 8 months not 10 sorry guys

*shakes head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

squod wrote: »
    Out of all the candidates Gay Mitchell had far the most groomed appearance. You'd think he should scrap this presidential race and aim for a Best in Show award.

when I was watching him make a complete eejit of of himself last night again, I was wondering who he reminded me of - and then it came to me - Bert out of Sesame Street.

He has one party piece and one only - Martin McGuinness.

Last night was between MMG and DN for me - the others were irrelevent. Although DN let himself down slightly at the end - he got a bit rattled. But the others were non-entities - even Michael D, standing on his little (soap) box. ahh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

If there's anything positive we can take from this truly horrible election, it's this: People now know welfare fraud isn't just committed by poor people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

geeky wrote: »
    If there's anything positive we can take from this truly horrible election, it's this: People now know welfare fraud isn't just committed by poor people.
    Who committed welfare fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Of course the real winner last night was VB. Will Prat Kenny host the RTE debates as well?

Producing two bewks to try rattle MaGuiness was a real stunt. Should have had Gay Mitchels Ma on to spit on a hanky and wipe his face. Big mammy's boy.

Michael D looked postively motionless. Is that guy on heroin or what??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Michael D looked postively motionless. Is that guy on heroin or what??

Think he was in shock from the Vertigo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement