Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

squod wrote: »
    In fairness in 1994 it was popular to double job as a TD and a county councillor.

Note how I said respectable person. I am not that naive to expect anything other than this from any Irish politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

Kasabian wrote: »
    As a snapshot of the country this poll confirms that the country is populated by a large percentage of morons.

There was a Vox pop this Morning .. Young kids were asked questions about the Presidency like How much they earn or what they think they do for Ireland and the answers given were incredible as there were only "2" who's parents must've taught them a little about the presidency as the majority were away with the Fairies altogether .. Thats indicative of how the average person is brought up "Totally ignorant" so when you see adults voting for someone because their Tie matches the wallpaper or because the shifty looking fella is offering Tax breaks then you realise why the country is populated by Morons They were never taught any different .. Parents have a DUTY to educate their kids on such issues !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

farna_boy wrote: »
    I would expect him as a respectable person to do the right thing and refuse the payment from Trinity and to continue his work in the Senate.

The senate is not supposed to be a full time position and is supposed to have people who are active in their various fields, for example, the idea of the vocational panels is that you get people with expertise in many areas of life, not just career politicians.

I think for the first good few years of David Norris being a senator, he was also working full time in Trinity, and drawing a salary from both - this is not at all unusual. We may not like it to be this way, but that is a problem of the senate system, not of Norris in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ghandee wrote: »
    Enough of this farce.

Norris should do the honorable thing at this stage and withdraw from the elections.
    if anymore skeleton's emerge from his cupboard, were going to see something resembling a mass grave.

Can some of his fans please explain to me what he'll bring to the country as president, that warrants the relentless support he still receives, despite scandal after scandal emerging?

Btw, I originally had Norris earmarked for my vote, that notion has completely flew out the window in the last month.

He's gay, thats pretty much it. So if you dont vote for him you're a dirty homophobe.

Seriously though, if I was to tell you a few months ago that our presidential race would include a candidate who repeatedly abused his position of office to plead clemency for a convicted rapist; doesnt seem to believe in an age of consent; has regularly defended another child sex abuser (O'Searcaigh), and now seems to be claiming expenses under suspicious circumstances, you'd laugh at me. Then take on board that he seems to be the popular candidate! Honestly, the mind boggles. The same people who vote for Norris will then turn around and say they dont vote for Fianna Fail anymore because they're corrupt. A farce.

I wouldnt vote for Norris if he was the only candidate running. He's got some creepy views on underage sex and seems to be an all round buffoon with a lot to hide. Really cannot understand why people want to vote for him. Nothing has changed since he pulled out of the race originally, if anything his position has become more questionable. Instead of rejoining, he should be considering his position as a Senator. The man has no dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

dvpower wrote: »
    We may not like it to be this way, but that is a problem of the senate system, not of Norris in particular.

I think the main problem, at least how I see it, is he is supposed to be representing the Irish people but his actions and financial situation are completely out of touch with the Irish people.

There's a touch of hypocrisy there. By no means is it just with Norris but these stories are presenting him as the biggest culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think the main problem, at least how I see it, is he is supposed to be representing the Irish people but his actions and financial situation are completely out of touch with the Irish people.

There's a touch of hypocrisy there, not just with Norris but these stories are presenting him as the biggest culprit.

I think claiming everything you were 'entitled' to is exactly what the Irish people have been doing for years! We all just give out about it now cos the bill is overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

keano_afc wrote: »
    He's gay, thats pretty much it. So if you dont vote for him you're a dirty homophobe.

Seriously though, if I was to tell you a few months ago that our presidential race would include a candidate who repeatedly abused his position of office to plead clemency for a convicted rapist; doesnt seem to believe in an age of consent; has regularly defended another child sex abuser (O'Searcaigh), and now seems to be claiming expenses under suspicious circumstances, you'd laugh at me. Then take on board that he seems to be the popular candidate! Honestly, the mind boggles. The same people who vote for Norris will then turn around and say they dont vote for Fianna Fail anymore because they're corrupt. A farce.

I wouldnt vote for Norris if he was the only candidate running. He's got some creepy views on underage sex and seems to be an all round buffoon with a lot to hide. Really cannot understand why people want to vote for him. Nothing has changed since he pulled out of the race originally, if anything his position has become more questionable. Instead of rejoining, he should be considering his position as a Senator. The man has no dignity.

I think its called arrogance "The people love me !" If he had nothing to hide he wouldn't need two lawyers to advise him to keep his mouth shut !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I think claiming everything you were 'entitled' to is exactly what the Irish people have been doing for years! We all just give out about it now cos the bill is overdue.

A politician is held to a much higher regard. And rightly so, your average Paddy isn't looking to be head of the state or making claims of being able to represent the people.

The only problem I see with the criticisms is they're focused on Norris, should be more criticisms of the other candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

A politician is held to a much higher regard. And rightly so, your average Paddy isn't looking to be head of the state or making claims of being able to represent the people.

The only problem I see with the criticisms is they're focused on Norris, should be more criticisms of the other candidates.

Most the others have ran for elections before and there past has already been brought up-Norris basically has never ran outside the seanad so all his skeletons are coming out at once, MMG is getting lot's of stick about his republican past-even though his part in changing that is great, Mary whats her face is getting slated for charity pay, The other Gay is getting lashed out of it too-the suicide comment been the latest(been a homophobe that name must piss him off!) Dana is crazy but there would hardly be much corruption on her part in fairness, Higgins is getting off lightly as is the celebrity fella!

I think it's fair to say they all will and have been vilified, and more will come out-I really cant wait to see what he's wrote in these letter's, he's way too interested in hiding them for them top be same as the last ones.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Norris is finished

Views on underage sex

Writing letters

Not publishing letters

Claiming sick pay benefit

What next. Surely even his die hard stupid followers now must see the light and demand him to remove himself from this race.

• Advertisement

What next. Surely even his die hard stupid followers now must see the light and demand him to remove himself from this race.

They won't change there votes-they had only 1 reason for voting for him and that has not changed-he would have to come out as a straight man to horrify most his supporters

How people can keep up the intelligent muck is shocking, Bumbling is more like it, had a privilidged upbringing and appears as bright but this campaign is really making him look a bit dim to say the least, self professed intelligence that people have just bought into.

I WISH THEY WERE!!!

Sure 'our' politicians led the charge -especially the ones we voted for time and time again - sad thing is - they are still are!

The ones we held in the 'highest regard' were the cute hoors... Charlie, Bertie etc - the latter built his PR around his man of the people persona and it was lapped up by the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

David Norris the worst attempted comeback since Michael Jackson - maybe even including Michael Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

Norris is finished

Views on underage sex

Writing letters

Not publishing letters

What's next is probably this.
    Mr Norris (67) was "on the rebound" from Mr Nawi when he "fell hook, line and sinker" for the 20-year-old man.

Ms Freedman wrote: "David was teaching a twice-weekly course outside Trinity to help out a friend. One of his students was brilliant -- a tall, blond, all-American, square-jawed, young and obviously taken with David".

Mr Norris admitted the relationship to Ms Freedman during the course of his biography being written. Ms Freedman explained: "Their sexual relationship lasted six months, until his lover returned to America and became engaged."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Oddjob wrote: »
    What's next is probably this.
    The Daily Mail: "Man has relationship, shocker."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cowzerp wrote: »
    How people can keep up the intelligent muck is shocking, Bumbling is more like it, had a privilidged upbringing and appears as bright but this campaign is really making him look a bit dim to say the least, self professed intelligence that people have just bought into.

Says the guy who's voting for the head of a terrorist organisation that killed and tortured innocent people

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Says the guy who's voting for the head of a terrorist organisation that killed and tortured innocent people

Nelson Mandela was an awful man, just pointing that out!

History will remember plunkett, Collins, clarke, Mcguinness etc in the same light-your children or grandchildren will view him as a hero-you can stick with your ignorant views of the troubles all you want

You are another person who would not fight back to protect your own, or maybe if you had to your views would change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

dvpower wrote: »
    The Daily Mail: "Man has relationship, shocker."

I agree with you, but there's always some people in this country that will make a situation, where a middle aged lecturer is banging a 20 year student, sound seedy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Face it lads. MMG is a hero; of what and how, we can't be sure, cause apparently no one has any proof he did anything, but he did nothing heroicly I guess ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

History will remember plunkett, Collins, clarke, Mcguinness etc in the same light-your children or grandchildren will view him as a hero

As long as you're predicting the future, can I have next weeks lotto numbers and the premiership results?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Oddjob wrote: »
    I agree with you, but there's always some people in this country that will make a situation, where a middle aged lecturer is banging a 20 year student, sound seedy.

20? That would be a bit old for "Naughty Norris".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Norris is finished

Views on underage sex

Writing letters

Not publishing letters

Ya, Norris hasn't a hope of winning, maybe on Boards but that is about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

There's a touch of hypocrisy there. By no means is it just with Norris but these stories are presenting him as the biggest culprit.

Thats the thing, I'm sure if we seen Gay's, Dana's, Michael D's, Mary's or Sean's bank history nobody would be too eager to add another 250k a year to the their already extremely profitable careers yet all of them are crying out for the poor people of Ireland and claiming they relate to people at grass roots.

Norris is being singled out for abuse because its a drama and the media know that the bigger the drama the more money there is to be made. So they will keep running tabloid stories as long as they can. It would be bad business not to. Doesnt affect his credentials to stand as president one bit. Just affects peoples views of him which are all too easily swayed by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Hes a Bumder!

There i said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Don't suppose theres any way we can reset this poll before 28/10/2011 and see if opinions have changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

MungBean wrote: »
    Thats the thing, I'm sure if we seen Gay's, Dana's, Michael D's, Mary's or Sean's bank history nobody would be too eager to add another 250k a year to the their already extremely profitable careers yet all of them are crying out for the poor people of Ireland and claiming they relate to people at grass roots.

Norris is being singled out for abuse because its a drama and the media know that the bigger the drama the more money there is to be made. So they will keep running tabloid stories as long as they can. It would be bad business not to. Doesnt affect his credentials to stand as president one bit. Just affects peoples views of him which are all too easily swayed by the media.

How naive are you?

Michael D has nothing to hides. Mary Davis has had her finances and attaining various wages well reported on in the media and McGuinness is getting just as much scrutiny as Norris.

I'm a journalist for a national broadsheet and I can assure you we have no agenda against Norris. He's the one with all the skeletons in his closet, it's not a media conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

MungBean wrote: »

Norris has no excuse in blaming the media. If other candidates did as he did they'd be long gone by now. He's the author of his own misfortune.

You are another person who would not fight back to protect your own, or maybe if you had to your views would change

Did you? I didn't - I grew up in the Republic of Ireland and no Brits oppressed me (the RCC had a monopoly on repression/oppression at the time) or me Mammy and daddy before me.

My granny did have a gun held to her head by the Tans tho - about 90 years ago. Her childhood home was regularly raided as her brother had been jailed for sedition (he was 14 at the time). Her aunt was killed in the Upton massacre and her 8 month pregnant mother seriously injured. Her mother's cousin was summarily executed by the Tans...

She was a life long republican and passionate and vocal advocate of a United Ireland (she enjoyed winding up soldiers outside banks by calling them 'Free Staters' even into her 80s)

YET - She hated PSF/PIRA with a passion considering them nothing but murders, cowards and thieves and when they turned up at her brother's funeral in the 1970s to give him an unrequested and unwanted 21 gun salute (he fought with distinction in the war of Independence) she wielded her large little old lady handbag with fury -battered them and their balaclavas out the gates of St Finbar's Cemetery in Cork and down the road. We're still laughing about it, watching these brave (if anonymous) heroes scattering down the road perused by a very small woman (5' at a stretch) in her 60s who had survived the Auxies, the Tans, the War of Independence, the burning of Cork and the Civil War and would who not tolerate having Provos at the graveside of her beloved brother.

Does that count as fighting to protect your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    How naive are you?

Michael D has nothing to hides. Mary Davis has had her finances and attaining various wages well reported on in the media and McGuinness is getting just as much scrutiny as Norris.

I'm a journalist for a national broadsheet and I can assure you we have no agenda against Norris. He's the one with all the skeletons in his closet, it's not a media conspiracy.

You cant be a very good journalist if your incapable of reading a post. How is it a conspiracy to say that media wants to make money and that drama makes money ? Also I never said anyone else had anything to hide or their finances were not reported on. I said (let me quote this for you incase you get confused and cant figure out how to scroll back up)

God help whatever rag your working for is all I can say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The senator Norris for President FB page is good for a laugh.

The double standards of some of the wish-wash wannabe liberals on it beggars belief. One of them even wrote that

"David is the target of a media smear campaign (who are all homophobic anyway). He'll be the best president we will ever have and I'm sure he'll drag us out of this recession" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement