Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Morlar wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks that Norris is relying on the data protection restrictions preventing Trinity from disclosing the exact amount of money he recieved for being disabled while simultaneously working fulltime as a Senator ?

No you're not!

When he announced first he was running first I thought - that is definitely who I'll vote for. But now it's a case of what is he hiding? He says that people don't care about the letters - but I think many people really do. If he has nothing to hide then lets get it out there and move on because I for one am sick to death of hearing about it. He just seems to be hiding behind what appear to be lame excuses. He's now just coming across like a 'bit of an eejit' to be honest!

And can I just say Norris is 3 years younger than Higgins - who for me seems to be the only one acting with a bit of dignity and who actually understands what is in the job spec for a president.

I'm keeping an open mind though - finding this whole presidential election very entertaining though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Dana of course!..................

nah, I'm voting for Michael D with my second preference going to Sean Gallagher

Could nearly guess what paper you work for...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

MungBean wrote: »
    Norris attained his signatures to run for the presidency from democratically elected members of the Dail with the information about the letters widely known.

No, he didn't, he couldn't get enough of them to support him.

He ended up having to go to the councils because his peers in the Oireachtas would not give him the necessary support.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

cowzerp wrote: »
    I would have if they came down my area burning us out of our homes-I was not born when that all kicked off and I'm neither claiming to be a hero or am I running for president

Your granny simply followed the old ira-most likely thought the oira where great, not so great when they let loyalist mobs burn whole communities out of there homes-again how you view the present and how the past with more knowledge plays it's part here.

Just Like you I'm sure your granny was ignorant to what was going on.

But she's your precious granny so I'm so bad for saying that!

How dare you sir! I demand you withdraw that remark immediately. You who by your own admission 'was not born when that all kicked off' have no right to insult and demeen those who lived through it and fought for you to sit on your arse in a free and independent state.

Did you have loyalist mobs break down your door? Have you lived under British rule? No - because we are in the Republic of Ireland that the OIRA/Citizen's Army/ Cumman Na mBan and many others put there lives on the line for and created. It may not be perfect, it may not be all that they wanted - but (at least until FF bankrupted us) it was a sovereign, independent and free state.

What have you done besides spout out on an internet forum about what you would do if...all the while hiding being your anonymity?

The only ignorance here is yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

whycliff wrote: »
    Could nearly guess what paper you work for...:D

Lulz

He's got all the good characteristics Norris has and none of the controversy

Another thing that has really put me off David recently is his insistence on shouting during interviews to get his point across!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Martin is after releasing a bank statement showing his income, maybe others should do the same.

lol. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Min wrote: »
    No, he didn't, he couldn't get enough of them to support him.

He ended up having to go to the councils because his peers in the Oireachtas would not give him the necessary support.

And the councils are military imposed despots are they ?

Another thing that has really put me off David recently is his insistence on shouting during interviews to get his point across!

Agree completely - that and the overly dramatic rousing speeches. There's an enormous ego there. I find I'm really disappointed with him - had really high hopes for him but now I hope he doesn't get in.

And the councils are military imposed despots are they ?

Your lack of knowledge on the subject at hand has been badly exposed, I suggest you admit defeat and vote for Michael D

Ironé wrote: »
    Agree completely - that and the overly dramatic rousing speeches. There's an enormous ego there. I find I'm really disappointed with him - had really high hopes for him but now I hope he doesn't get in.

I was the exact same way. The shameless re-entry to the race was the most egotistical political stunt in years, I mean what had changed since he stepped down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Me too.
    I've heard him described as a "boisterous old romantic",which was certainly true of his performance last night.

Your lack of knowledge on the subject at hand has been badly exposed, I suggest you admit defeat and vote for Michael D

My lack of knowledge ? So the councils are militarily imposed despots ? Well on those grounds I'll admit defeat and proclaim Norris no longer standing a chance of getting the presidency. So I will be voting for McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    No idea - I was only about 6 at the time. All I saw was a group of people suddenly step out from the large crowd with balaclavas on and raise rifles - then my grandmother went ape with the handbag, calling the cowardly murders who were shaming her brother's memory and laid into them like the Tasmanian Devil in the cartoons. I thought it was brilliant but I had no idea what the hell was going on at the time - and it was my first funeral so as far as I knew this was normal.

The family may have requested no Irish Army salute (they did still very much consider them to be the Free State army) - that was the impression I got from my great-aunt but That funeral was not a subject to raised within a mile of my grandmother unless you wanted to hear a rant about the Provos!

Ah I see, when my Grandad died (he was 90)there was no one left to object to the Irish army being at his funeral:)

My lack of knowledge ? So the councils are militarily imposed despots ? Well on those grounds I'll admit defeat and proclaim Norris no longer standing a chance of getting the presidency. So I will be voting for McGuinness.

I was referring to you thinking that Norris got on the ballot by virtue of 20 signatures not the claim that the councils are military imposed despts (and I think you knew that too)

Norris attained his signatures to run for the presidency from democratically elected members of the Dail with the information about the letters widely known. All of which MUST have deemed it not an issue that should affect him.

This is not strictly true - I mean the whole point is that the information about the letters is not widely known. We still don't know what he said in all the letters. There could be a major clanger in there that if he was elected and it came after might have serious repercussions. Particularly with the history of child sex abuse in this country. Maybe there is nothing in there but that he is not releasing them has many people very suspicious.

If I was a councillor I would absolutely have voted for him to be allowed to compete - whether I would vote for him would not have had anything to do with it. So saying that they 'must have deemed it not an issue that should affect him' might not be true at all - maybe people voted him through cause they felt the public had the right to decide.

This is not strictly true - I mean the whole point is that the information about the letters is not widely known. We still don't know what he said in all the letters. There could be a major clanger in there that if he was elected and it came after might have serious repercussions. Particularly with the history of child sex abuse in this country. Maybe there is nothing in there but that he is not releasing them has many people very suspicious.

If I was a councillor I would absolutely have voted for him to be allowed to compete - whether I would vote for him would not have had anything to do with it. So saying that they 'must have deemed it not an issue that should affect him' might not be true at all - maybe people voted him through cause they felt the public had the right to decide.

excellent point, I was delighted that Norris got the chance to run in the interests of democracy alone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If I was a councillor I would absolutely have voted for him to be allowed to compete - whether I would vote for him would not have had anything to do with it.

Same here, I think the whole having to be nominated to be a candidate thing is a joke.

Regardless if I agree with them or not they should be able to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I was wondering if there were many people like me suffering fatigue at this point with the incessant demand for clarity be it related to letters or membership of a proscribed organization. What purpose does this serve? All this energy wasted and diverted onto non issues, leaving less time for the public or candidates to engage in real debate.

I have some sympathy for both MMcG and DN and how they are handling these diversionary questions. It is also hypocritical of the electorate to be demanding such level of detail, afterall how would the private/personal affairs of most of the electorate stand up to such scrutiny?

I was referring to you thinking that Norris got on the ballot by virtue of 20 signatures not the claim that the councils are military imposed despts (and I think you knew that too)

I didnt say he got on with 20 signatures. I said he got his signatures from democratically elected members of the Dail which he did. Granted not all were from Dail. So I wont argue.

I was wondering if there were many people like me suffering fatigue at this point with the incessant demand for clarity be it related to letters or membership of a proscribed organization. What purpose does this serve? All this energy wasted and diverted onto non issues, leaving less time for the public or candidates to engage in real debate.

I have some sympathy for both MMcG and DN and how they are handling these diversionary questions. It is also hypocritical of the electorate to be demanding such level of detail, afterall how would the private/personal affairs of most of the electorate stand up to such scrutiny?

I admit I am tired of it too but they are not just 'diversionary questions' - it's about being a member of a terrorist organisation (there were many northern politicians who were able to maintain a non-volent approach to the troubles) and of letters pleading clemency for a convicted (statutory) rapist - contents of which are unknown and could have language that would be totally unacceptable for a president of a country with a history of church and state abuse such as ours. The president's job is a figure head yes but we have to be happy that that person is representative of us.

I have no sympathy for them with the private/personal scrutiny - them's the breaks and they just have to suck it up.

But I do agree with the essence of what you are saying - get their statements in a political debate on these important issues BUT give them the chance to talk about more than just those two issues. The public aren't stupid we don't need to be beaten over the head about it. Personally I've decided to vote for neither of them so job done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

In the case of Norris the answer is simple. Be clear, honest and forthcoming rather than rely on bluff and bluster to barge your way out of answering.

Release the letters for a start.

It is not hypocritical of the electorate to demand clarity on such issues/questions. It is hypocritical to hide behind flimsy & unconvincing excuses imo.

Anyone asking for the Presidential election votes should expect such a level of scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Either way David fu**ing Norris has been claiming disability while working.

Please go away. NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ebbsy wrote: »
    Either way David fu**ing Norris has been claiming disability while working.
    Even if he wasn't.
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Please go away. NOW.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The media are determining and controlling the agenda and lack of debate and the voters are being led by their noses. Are they stupid to allow this happen, of course, perhaps even worse.

To clarify on the McGuiness thing - I didn't walk in his shoes so who knows if I wouldn't have taken the same path. I think he is an intelligent man and there is much about him that I find admirable. However I think it's too soon for him to become President of the republic.

Northern Ireland is in a transitional stage and that involves making compromises (and I have much respect for the people and politicians who do that) - we however are not in a similar stage in our history so I don't think it would be right for him to be a figurehead of the republic.

The media are determining and controlling the agenda and lack of debate and the voters are being led by their noses. Are they stupid to allow this happen, of course, perhaps even worse.

What is stupid about wanting to know what are in those letters? It isn't some light and fluffy misdemeanor it is serious. The media didn't write those letters - he did and he needs to stand over them or lose voter confidence.

And can you get more serious than terrorism? McGuinness has to expect that this is a major issue for people. He's been dealing with it his whole political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 elizabeth mch

even though i havent decided who to vote for in this presidential election, i wudnt vote for David Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cowzerp wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela was an awful man, just pointing that out!

History will remember plunkett, Collins, clarke, Mcguinness etc in the same light-your children or grandchildren will view him as a hero-you can stick with your ignorant views of the troubles all you want

You are another person who would not fight back to protect your own, or maybe if you had to your views would change

Only fought back until 1974 for some reason.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Morlar wrote: »
    In the case of Norris .........

Release the letters for a start.

Then, while you are at it confirm exactly how much money you recieved pre-tax in disability payments while also working as a senator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I'm voting for Kodos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement