Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ironé wrote: »
    What is stupid about wanting to know what are in those letters? It isn't some light and fluffy misdemeanor it is serious. The media didn't write those letters - he did and he needs to stand over them or lose voter confidence.

And can you get more serious than terrorism? McGuinness has to expect that this is a major issue for people. He's been dealing with it his whole political career.

There are seven candidates and all attention is on two issues pertaining to 2 candidates. What about the broader debate, what about the other candidates? This is dysfunctional democracy at work, orchestrated by the media who are manipulating popular opinion, because most are unable to make a decision to save their lives. So yes it is stupid and would indicate that the public are stupid for allowing it.

Can it get more serious than terrorism? For heaven's sake, ignorance is much more dangerous, being led around by the nose is potentially more dangerous also.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

So basically the way things stand at the moment:

Mary Davis - special k - need I say more
    Seán Gallagher - seems level headed so far would like to hear more
    Michael D - the only one who seems to be acting in anyway presidential
    Martin McGuiness - Too soon
    Gay Mitchell - Martin McGuiness was in the IRA - build a bridge and get over it.
    David Norris - Ego the size of jupiter, welfare fraud and those letters - so in a nutshell no!
    Dana - Ah Bless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

David Norris - Ego the size of jupiter, welfare fraud and those letters - so in a nutshell no!
    Welfare fraud? When did that story break?

There are seven candidates and all attention is on two issues pertaining to 2 candidates. What about the broader debate, what about the other candidates? This is dysfunctional democracy at work, orchestrated by the media who are manipulating popular opinion, because most are unable to make a decision to save their lives. So yes it is stupid and would indicate that the public are stupid for allowing it.

They are relevant questions - I agree more should be discussed I really want to hear more from the other candidates too but Norris in particular needs to give better answers. I'm not sure McGuiness can say much more really. It is what it is - either you are ok with it or you're not.
    Can it get more serious than terrorism? For heaven's sake, ignorance is much more dangerous, being led around by the nose is potentially more dangerous also.

Sorry just have to stop laughing at that one - personally I'd take a bit of ignorance over a car bomb any day thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gay Mitchell - Martin McGuiness was in the IRA - build a bridge and get over it.

Not sure if serious or not, but it leads to a genuine question I've been meaning to ask...

Why is it that some people are calling for voters to get over MMG's involvement in the IRA and move past what he did all those decades ago, but many of these are the same ones who are fixated on the 18 year old letters and refuse to "get over" something which is far less morally dubious than murder?

I should state this is not me saying "get over the letters and move on". I don't think we should have to, no more than I think we should "get over" the whole IRA involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dvpower wrote: »

at around 16:16 today;)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1005/president.html

Working while claiming disability allowance. I was exaggerating - should have followed it with a wink.

I actually taught Norris was actually some bit genuine, but all he is is a fake.

He no better then the rest of them..

Working while claiming disability allowance
    Ah right. That would be the welfare fraud that doesn't involve the welfare or fraud.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No mention of fraud.:confused:

• Advertisement

Not sure if serious or not, but it leads to a genuine question I've been meaning to ask...

Why is it that some people are calling for voters to get over MMG's involvement in the IRA and move past what he did all those decades ago, but many of these are the same ones who are fixated on the 18 year old letters and refuse to "get over" something which is far less morally dubious than murder?

I should state this is not me saying "get over the letters and move on". I don't think we should have to, no more than I think we should "get over" the whole IRA involvement.

I'm not being serious at all - my point is that Gay Mitchell should just 'give him enough rope' and stop labouring the point. I feel with McGuiness either your Ok with it or your not. I am not personally so I'm not interested in him being badgered any further about it. It's not as if people are going to forget.

With Norris - the man has a lot more to answer in my opinion.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The only fraud is in the posts accusing Norris of it.

ejmaztec wrote: »

Does everything have to be spoonfed to people..

The man has been claiming disability benefit for 16 years while he been fit enough to work as a Senator..

You telling me there is nothing wrong with that???..

He no better then the guy too lazy to get off his arse and work imo

Ah right. That would be the welfare fraud that doesn't involve the welfare or fraud.:rolleyes:

I was not being serious about it - of course it was not welfare fraud. I'm sure he was legally entitled to it. I should have been clearer.

The man has been claiming disability benefit for 16 years while he been fit enough to work as a Senator..

Who knows maybe he was entitled to it? Maybe it genuinely affected his ability to earn/work? Either way he needs to provide a much better response than 'Ask Trinity' knowing full well that they can't answer.

lol god are people that stupid and blind...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Lord almighty! Disability pension not benefit they are not the same thing.

Read back over the various posts put up today - the difference is explained over and over and over (and over...).

I would repost some of them, but I wouldn't want to spoonfeed you.

No he hasn't. Maybe you should appraise yourself of the facts before you go any further.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Read back over the various posts put up today - the difference is explained over and over and over (and over...).

clap clap great coemback:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

To those that spout 'Welfare Fraud' when there is none, I'd wish they'd cease and desist. They'll be the ones Whinging if boards is sued.

• Advertisement

Tee Hee:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

clap clap great coemback:rolleyes:

What on earth is a coemback?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Jaysus christ, try and get your fact right...

Disability PENSION,PENSION BLOODY PENSION!!! It's being paid by his previous employer Trinity College Dublin, it's a pension he contributed to, and was awarded when he was unable to teach for a long period due to his Tenure in TCD. It was a pension payable to the age of retirement! The info is out there, try educating yourself!

Sorry I opened this can of worms was just taking the p*ss :)

Agree 100% with you. It's more his response on the matter - fobbing off to Trinity is just more of the same with him.

What on earth is a coemback?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

We can only assume you're aiming that question at your good self, cos clearly you can't read the facts as they stand before you!

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Disability PENSION,PENSION BLOODY PENSION!!! It's being paid by his previous employer Trinity College Dublin, it's a pension he contributed to, and was awarded when he was unable to teach for a long period due to his Tenure in TCD. It was a pension payable to the age of retirement!

It baffles me why Norris didn't say something to this effect himself. He needs to stop thinking he's talking to the media but that he is talking to prospective voters.

Jaysus christ, try and get your fact right...

Disability PENSION,PENSION BLOODY PENSION!!! It's being paid by his previous employer Trinity College Dublin, it's a pension he contributed to, and was awarded when he was unable to teach for a long period due to his Tenure in TCD. It was a pension payable to the age of retirement! The info is out there, try educating yourself!

Ok you see in your eyes and maybe lot of other people you think its ok to get a number of pensions etc..That's fine.

What I dont think is morally right is him getting paid as Senator and also getting a Pension on top of that while he works.

You, me and nobody else would get that and really if people think that is ok then well they are no better the any politician..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Alot of folks seem to think he was paid a state benefit like disability allowance. It was a payment from TCD or more probably their insurers. And he worked there over 20 years before this. Where he would have made pension contributions also.

• Advertisement

We can only assume you're aiming that question at your good self, cos clearly you can't read the facts as they stand before you!

well I am afraid its not that black and white..

But to a lot of people it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement