Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What on earth is a coemback?

I think it's what Sean Gallagher used to do to his hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Will Norris tell up what specific Strain of Hepatitis he contracted in Eastern Europe. As far as I can see, risky unprotected anal sex is implicated in at least three strains.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/hepc/f/hep_faq3.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ok you see in your eyes and maybe lot of other people you think its ok to get a number of pensions etc..That's fine.

What I dont think is morally right is him getting paid as Senator and also getting a Pension on top of that while he works.

You, me and nobody else would get that and really if people think that is ok then well they are no better the any politician..

It was a private pension, not a state one! As was pointed out in another thread, a Guard who retires early with an injury or whatever is entitled to a pension til the age of retirement and can still work.

Same case scenario. When he got the disability pension it was awared until he hit retirement WITHOUT exception. It's called TENURE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

moceri wrote: »
    Will Norris tell up what specific Strain of Hepatitis he contracted in Eastern Europe. As far as I can see, risky unprotected anal sex is implicated in at least three strains.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/hepc/f/hep_faq3.htm

Christ almighty.
    Yeah, he was fucking the water, not drinking it.............

Hepatitis E.
    It has been stated numerous time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ironé wrote: »
    It baffles me why Norris didn't say something to this effect himself. He needs to stop thinking he's talking to the media but that he is talking to prospective voters.

He did - he was on Radio 1 News lunchtime today. Pension......TCD...medical tests...insurers...blah blah.

• Advertisement

It baffles me why Norris didn't say something to this effect himself. He needs to stop thinking he's talking to the media but that he is talking to prospective voters.

Well yes he should have said it, but typical media, give a headline like Norris gets Disability. The first thing people think is social welfare and fraud!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RachaelVO wrote: »
    It was a private pension, not a state one! As was pointed out in another thread, a Guard who retires early with an injury or whatever is entitled to a pension til the age of retirement and can still work.

Same case scenario. When he got the disability pension it was awared until he hit retirement WITHOUT exception. It's called TENURE!

Cool and thats probably spot on but thing is its that type of **** that got us into the mess we find ourselves in the first place.

He comes across as a man giving to people yet he goes and takes whatever he wants.

16 years of disability claims and being a Senator at same time and getting paid for two separate things and then sprouting off about how he a people man is well bit funny would you not think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

EDIT: Nevermind, RachaelVO said it!

Cool and thats probably spot on but thing is its that type of **** that got us into the mess we find ourselves in the first place.

He comes across as a man giving to people yet he goes and takes whatever he wants.

16 years of disability claims and being a Senator at same time and getting paid for two separate things and then sprouting off about how he a people man is well bit funny would you not think?

No it isn't. When PRIVATE pensions are paid they are paid from (in most cases) the companys insurance company, as they are usually the ones who hold the pension funds! So insurance company pays TCD from their pension investment funds, and TCD pay Norris. It's hardly the same as Greedy developers borrowing billions not paying it back, and the germans and french, insisting we pay back the germans and french TWICE!!!!

Your sense of moral outrage against the banks is bang on, but its not against Norris! He has done nothing wrong here!

face1990 wrote: »
    EDIT: Nevermind, RachaelVO said it!

What I say now?? Im known to be fairly verbose... Sorry did I stand on your toes? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well RachaelVO has eluded to the fact that Mr Norris did not receive 'disability benefit' in the imagined form. In other words he did not get benefit from the State! Mr Norris received a perfectly transparent & ligitimate disability benefit from Trinity College Dublin, a benefit that he was perfectly entitled to. There is no negative side to him receiving what is in effect an 'early pension', all is above board . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

seamus wrote: »

He had a genuine disability. He received the payment in all moral rightness, and apparently at the insistence of the college.

I'm really wondering what did you expect him to do when this happened? Give up the senate too and sit and home pining about his illness?

A genuine disability - ok fair enough.

Nobody expected him to sit at home pining, but once elected to the senate (he was able and willing to do that job) he should have had the decency to put a stop to his disability payments. If he wasn't well enough for the lecturing (standing talking to people) how was he well enough for the senate? The two jobs are hardly worlds apart.

Comparing it to anybody here is silly, he was getting 30,000 a year from Trinity, on top of his ridiculous senate wage, and expenses. I'm sure the majority of people here don't earn close to his salary.

Put simply, someone with his earnings, and his position, should have put a stop to it. How could you trust a man like this?

Lawlesz wrote: »

Nobody expected him to sit at home pining, but once elected to the senate (he was able and willing to do that job) he should have had the decency to put a stop to his disability payments. If he wasn't well enough for the lecturing (standing talking to people) how was he well enough for the senate? The two jobs are hardly worlds apart.

Comparing it to anybody here is silly, he was getting 30,000 a year from Trinity, on top of his ridiculous senate wage, and expenses. I'm sure the majority of people here don't earn close to his salary.

Put simply, someone with his earnings, and his position, should have put a stop to it. How could you trust a man like this?

It was a private pension, effectively he took early retirement from TCD, now many a person who retires early takes on other work while drawing down their pension... There is no moral highground here, he has done NOTHING wrong!

Do I hear any calls for Michael D to give up 3 of his 4 pensions? Anyone? How about he keeps the UCG and EU one but gives up either the Ministerial or TD one? Don't care which....

Do I hear any calls for Michael D to give up 3 of his 4 pensions? Anyone? How about he keeps the UCG and EU one but gives up either the Ministerial or TD one? Don't care which....

Michael D should give up all but one pension...of course he should

What I say now?? Im known to be fairly verbose... Sorry did I stand on your toes? :(

No, not at all, you said it better than me! I was just mentioning how it's not just Norris who's entitled to a disability pension!

He can hardly be blamed for having a job which provides disability pensions, for contracting a serious illness, or for claiming the pension he's entitled to (and, presumably, paid towards during his career in TCD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

David Norris (Independent) 317 31.54%

By the sons of the rapey christ, some people don't deserve a vote.

I'm votong for Shorley Temple Bar cos I done seen him on tv.

By the sons of the rapey christ, some people don't deserve a vote.

I'm votong for Shorley Temple Bar cos I done seen him on tv.

An insightful point :confused:

Michael D should give up all but one pension...of course he should

I agree (and old Micky D is my #1) but where is the condemnation? Where is the public outrage featuring the words 'nose in the trough'? Where are the sensationalist headlines splashed across the tabloids?

Norris was in receipt of disability Pension from his employer which ended 10 years ago - he is now receiving an 'retired' pension from the same employer.

Michael D is currently in receipt of 4 pensions - 2 from the State, one from his previous employer and one from the EU. Was he was receiving the ministerial pension even while he was a sitting TD?....I know that is/was very common....

It was a private pension, effectively he took early retirement from TCD, now many a person who retires early takes on other work while drawing down their pension... There is no moral highground here, he has done NOTHING wrong!
    LordSutch wrote: »
    Well RachaelVO has eluded to the fact that Mr Norris did not receive 'disability benefit' in the imagined form. In other words he did not get benefit from the State! Mr Norris received a perfectly transparent & ligitimate disability benefit from Trinity College Dublin, a benefit that he was perfectly entitled to. There is no negative side to him receiving what is in effect an 'early pension', all is above board . . . . . .

He might not have done nothing wrong illegally for a man who really never needed this money and earns quite a large sum being a Senator he should not have needed this money..

It's greed that's what it is.

• Advertisement

I agree (and old Micky D is my #1) but where is the condemnation? Where is the public outrage featuring the words 'nose in the trough'? Where are the sensationalist headlines splashed across the tabloids?

Norris was in receipt of disability Pension from his employer which ended 10 years ago - he is now receiving an 'retired' pension from the same employer.

Michael D is currently in receipt of 4 pensions - 2 from the State, one from his previous employer and one from the EU. Was he was receiving the ministerial pension even while he was a sitting TD?....I know that is/was very common....

I love all your posts relating to this election, I've actually learned loads from them (not just in this thread). I knew MDH was in receipt of a pension or two, but not 4.

However he should not be made EVER to give up UCG. That's his private pension, and if I've no problem with David Norris having a private pension I have no problem with MDH having one either!

Well I am afraid I dont work in the media so I cant highlight the problem personally.

I understand what your saying. It's just topic of Norris came up, but I understand that if me or anyone is blaming one person then it's only right to highlight the other cases too.

The thing is for me my vote is still between MMG and Norris although more towards former now..

He might not have done nothing wrong illegally for a man who really never needed this money and earns quite a large sum being a Senator he should not have needed this money..

No, not really! He took early retirement and it's his pension. So he took another job, big deal, his pension was effectively HIS OWN MONEY! He would have paid into the fund himself when he was being paid his salary, as everyone does when they earn a salary and pay a pension!

...a man who really never needed this money and earns quite a large sum being a Senator he should not have needed this money..

Christ almighty, none of them need the amount of money they make. The very fact that they (the independants at least) can fund a presidential campaign shows they have more than enough money (more money than sense in Dana's case, IMO).
    Higgins has his numerous pensions, gallagher has plenty of money from his businesses, Davis got paid hundreds of grand for her board work and plenty more from the Special Olympics, to mention but a few of them.

So why is it just Norris that's greedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

owainglyndwr, I'm banning you from this thread for trolling.
    If you post again I will ban you from AH.

Troll post and followup posts deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm not being serious at all - my point is that Gay Mitchell should just 'give him enough rope' and stop labouring the point. I feel with McGuiness either your Ok with it or your not. I am not personally so I'm not interested in him being badgered any further about it. It's not as if people are going to forget.

With Norris - the man has a lot more to answer in my opinion.

Thats cool. It was more of a question in general than one aimed specifically at you, and one which has been ignored by everyone else I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Your right he did nothing wrong,he was on disability for 16 years and became a pension at retirement age.But he was deemed to be unfit to work for 16 years,yet he claimed to work full time as a senator till this date.I think this is where people precieve a problem or is it me just being naive and stupid

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Your right he did nothing wrong,he was on disability for 16 years and became a pension at retirement age.But he was deemed to be unfit to work for 16 years,yet he claimed to work full time as a senator till this date.I think this is where people precieve a problem or is it me just being naive and stupid

He wasn't on disability he was on a pension, and privately paid for pension, the he contributed to himself... he didn't get ANY social welfare. He technically retired early... I'm getting DeJa Vous here, cos I'm pretty sure I (and many others) have posted this time and time again.

Seriously pay attention to previous posts, it could cost you less time, it's his own money he's getting back from his own super annuation!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

nhunter100 wrote: »

Exactly, its not like the jobs are polar opposites, surely being able to do one would mean you'd be able to do the other. So why claim disability for one and be handsomely paid for the other. He has been taking the tax payer for a ride. And as with almost every 'politician' in this country, he was happy to take the money and get away with it.

Bottom line; It was selfish, and I don't want that kind of person as President of my country. What example is that setting to the every-day-Joe?

And thats aside from the whole letters controversy. I really cant see how people are still defending him. I used to like him. But when all this came out, it just proved he is untrustworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

He has been taking the tax payer for a ride.
    He got payed by the tax-payer to do his job, he got benefits from Trinity, which is a private institution.
    he was happy to take the money and get away with it.
    He got away with it because he hasn't done anything wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement