Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

face1990 wrote: »
    Christ almighty, none of them need the amount of money they make. The very fact that they (the independants at least) can fund a presidential campaign shows they have more than enough money (more money than sense in Dana's case, IMO).
    Higgins has his numerous pensions, gallagher has plenty of money from his businesses, Davis got paid hundreds of grand for her board work and plenty more from the Special Olympics, to mention but a few of them.

So why is it just Norris that's greedy?

And more power to them if they are wealthy and they get good packages with there jobs. I'm sure they all worked hard to get there. And if they are all earning good salaries then they are paying tax on them too.

This whole thing about salaries is just show boating by some of the candidates. Why on earth should they be ashamed of earning a good salary. There is nothing greedy about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

RachaelVO wrote: »
    nhunter100 wrote: »
    Your right he did nothing wrong,he was on disability for 16 years and became a pension at retirement age.But he was deemed to be unfit to work for 16 years,yet he claimed to work full time as a senator till this date.I think this is where people precieve a problem or is it me just being naive and stupid

He wasn't on disability he was on a pension, and privately paid for pension, the he contributed to himself... he didn't get ANY social welfare. He technically retired early... I'm getting DeJa Vous here, cos I'm pretty sure I (and many others) have posted this time and time again.

Seriously pay attention to previous posts, it could cost you less time, it's his own money he's getting back from his own super annuation!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Didn't read pervious posts my bad but thought the Independent,the Evening Hearald and Morning Ireland would have been sufficent in forming an opinion guess i'm wrong please accept my apology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I wonder why the editors over at Independent Newspapers thought this non story was worthy of the front page.

Weren't people saying only a few days ago that they were the Norris paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Didn't read pervious posts my bad but thought the Independent,the Evening Hearald and Morning Ireland would have been sufficent in forming an opinion guess i'm wrong please accept my apology

I don't think you're very sincere in your apology :rolleyes:

Clearly if your getting the wrong information your opinion needs work. Lets just clear it up for you again.

He paid a private pension while he worked (as most people do)
    After twenty years he got early retirement based on illness (or disablity)
    From that point on, he got the pension HE PAID FOR up to the age of retirement.
    Like many people who have taken their pensions early he got another well paid job, and was still paid the pension HE PAID FOR!

So PUHLEASE show me where he did something wrong, ripped off the tax payer, or was morally reprehensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Seachmall wrote: »
    .He got away with it because he hasn't done anything wrong technically.

FYP

Its a moral thing. He is supposed to be here to serve the country not hit it for everything he can get his hands on. Will he give up his pensions if elected?

Its the equivalent of me finding a million quid in the morning and nicking it, it might not be wrong but I wouldn't imagine people would vote me as President afterward! Childish way to put it, but definitely not the silliest thing I've heard here today. Some people seem willing to defend this man blindly, regardless of what he has done.

• Advertisement

Like many people who have taken their pensions early he got another well paid job, and was still paid the pension HE PAID FOR!

So PUHLEASE show me where he did something wrong, ripped off the tax payer, or was morally reprehensible!

I think that pretty much ties that one up. Reporting of this non-issue has been disgraceful. And this is coming from someone who fell for the headlines completely.

Lawlesz wrote: »
    FYP

Its a moral thing. He is supposed to be here to serve the country not hit it for everything he can get his hands on. Will he give up his pensions if elected?

Why should he or any other candidate have to?
    Its the equivalent of me finding a million quid in the morning and nicking it, it might not be wrong but I wouldn't imagine people would vote me as President afterward!

No it isn't. I refer you to RachelIVO's post:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jtgnr87

I'm sick of Norris and his arrogant attitude. He has clearly shown himself to be deceptive and arrogant beyond belief, he was caught out splendidly by Vincent Browne. He can't seriously expect us to swallow the "legal advice" BS any longer. Just a few more obscure literary references and Joycean panto rubbish and we will all be 100% sick of him. He is a joke and I am personally hoping McGuinness wins it, to put the fear of god in these idiots and show them what true commitment and hard work looks like.

FYP

Its the equivalent of me finding a million quid in the morning and nicking it, it might not be wrong but I wouldn't imagine people would vote me as President afterward! Childish way to put it, but definitely not the silliest thing I've heard here today. Some people seem willing to defend this man blindly, regardless of what he has done.
    Some people seem willing to condemn him blindly, regardless of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

FYP

He is already entitled to a contributory old age pension, but has opted not to take it up.

• Advertisement

Ironé wrote: »
    I think that pretty much ties that one up. Reporting of this non-issue has been disgraceful. And this is coming from someone who fell for the headlines completely.

I'm glad you can see the headline for what it was.

Paper never refused Ink, and they will put any spin the feel like on anything. Like in this instance, a private matter has been put into the open, that has nothing to do with anyone, and it's made out that its social welfare fraud when it's no such thing.

It's going to happen to each of the candidates though, it's already started on Mary Davis, it's only a matter of time before MDH has the mud slung at him. Then come October 28th we'll know who our new president is and won't think of him/her for another few years! It really is a vicious election, as all presidential elections notoriously are!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It does seem they really are dragging the bottom of the barrel at this stage, the pension one and the seanad speech regarding the citizenship which they got completely wrong.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm glad you can see the headline for what it was.

I feel like I've just been patted on the head :p

It is fairly vicious alright but they know what they are getting into. Sure Norris came back for seconds :) Better things are thrashed out now than after someone gets elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Norris fanboys are so naive it's laughable

The man hasn't an ounce of credibility left and thank god it looks like now he'll never represent us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Obvious troll is obvious.

K-9 wrote: »
    It does seem they really are dragging the bottom of the barrel at this stage, the pension one and the seanad speech regarding the citizenship which they got completely wrong.

Ya, bottom of the barrel reporting alright, I for one didn't want to know that Norris is a greedy unscrupulous egotist, bad media, bad, hide the truth in future

Obvious troll is obvious.

Naive Norris fanboy is naive

Ironé wrote: »
    I feel like I've just been patted on the head :p

Not so much patted on the head, more scratched behind the ear :cool:

Branded a troll for speaking out against Norris.

It's rich that most of these people consider themselves liberals yet try and discount or ignore anyone that speaks ill or gives a different opinion on Norris

Fishooks12 wrote: »

I'd choose a subtler username than Fishooks12 tbh.

• Advertisement

Not so much patted on the head, more scratched behind the ear :cool:

Tail wagging :D

mikom wrote: »
    I'd choose a subtler username than Fishooks12 tbh.

I don't get you please elaborate...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm not voting for Norris. :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

jtgnr87 wrote: »
    He is a joke and I am personally hoping McGuinness wins it, to put the fear of god in these idiots and show them what true commitment and hard work looks like.
    Kneecappings in the Aras every second Tuesday of the month.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Flaming/trolling/acting the eejit = bans.

Fair warning.

Lets just play nice, ok. Thanks

Report posts for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Clearly if your getting the wrong information your opinion needs work. Lets just clear it up for you again.

As stated in my first post I agreed he had done nothing wrong if you cared to read it but I questioned how on disability and I know not state disability that he claimed to work as a full-time senator if he was physically disabled from his career as a lecturer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is there any homosexual presidents?

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question92936.html

...besides a number of also rumored American ones.

I'm disappointed at the latest daily smear attempt by certain papers at Norris - but not surprised.
    Its something a lot of folk have come to expect from the same papers lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Who said I'd vote for Norris if I were voting?

I don't get you please elaborate...

"Fish hook" or "fish hooked".
    Used to describe being fooled or "taking the bait"

• Advertisement

Who said I'd vote for Norris if I were voting?

I'm assuming you would given you branded me a troll for giving my opinion on David Norris. Most of his supporters have a problem with anyone critiquing him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement