Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

squod wrote: »
    Poll is 100% bullshit. 1000 people does not a poll make. Many of the other polls have surveyed upwards of 4000 AFAIK.
    1000 is the usual sample. Accurate to +/- 3% I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

Biggins wrote: »
    That figure would vary from client to client.
    ...And how in gods name do you expect anyone here to know the exact figure anyway - lets be real and show one's sense!

I suggest you email Mr Norris and ask if your that inquisitive.

I would, but he keeps saying he's not that good with numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dvpower wrote: »

lol. It's the same as the much reputed JNLR surveys which are also 100% bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think publishing them will do more harm than good, if not he would have already

That's the whole thing - I don't think people will vote for him without knowing there isn't something bad in those letters. At the moment it just looks like he has something to hide.

WRT Gallagher - he might do it too. I'm interested to hear more from him. A good presidential debate with audience participation would be great - giving all candidates equal time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Correct, while no poll can every tell of election days exact results - There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip - thats the average accepted ratio for error.

• Advertisement

Oddjob wrote: »
    I would, but he keeps saying he's not that good with numbers.
    If your so persistent here for answers, I don't think that would put you off elsewhere if your equally that determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ironé wrote: »
    That's the whole thing - I don't think people will vote for him without knowing there isn't something bad in those letters. At the moment it just looks like he has something to hide.

WRT Gallagher - he might do it too. I'm interested to hear more from him. A good presidential debate with audience participation would be great - giving all candidates equal time.

The debate last night was a farce! The only person who came out well was MDH, even VB didn't come out well.

I think Gallagher will be one to watch, although judging by the recent poll, I think MDH is gonna walk it, BUT that's just on 1st pref, if Gallagher keeps his showing, he could do well on 2nd pref, and I think this election is going to go 4 and 5, so that's where I see Gallagher picking up!

Lets just wait and see how much more sh1te about the candidates will hit the fan over the next three weeks, cos NONE of the are going to get away with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Delight to hear Gallagher is doing well on the polls.

Correct, while no poll can every tell of election days exact results - There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip - thats the average accepted ratio for error.
    There is a common misperception that poll results predict election results and you get people saying they're nonsence pointing to differences between a poll result and an election result a number of weeks (or even months) later.

Of course, they only tell us what people are thinking at a point in time. I've given up trying to explain this to people who aren't willing to make the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

If your so persistent here for answers, I don't think that would put you off elsewhere if your equally that determined.

So you have no idea, and add nothing to the debate, yet you keep replying.

Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

squod wrote: »
    Dana polled 5% before she was elected as an MEP.

Yeah, but you only need about 14/15% there to get in.

Going on the Times poll, I can't see the God fearing Dana vote transferring to Norris and I think Mitchell attracts the socially conservative and right wing FG vote, mightn't transfer to Norris as well as I thought.

Gallagher and Higgins are doing well and both did reasonably or very well in the debate, staying out of controversy, though the FF bit might hit Gallagher.

McGuinness isn't transferring well, SF and FF Republican vote, Higgins could do well on transfers there, left wing vote.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, but you only need about 14/15% there to get in.

Going on the Times poll, I can't see the God fearing Dana vote transferring to Norris and I think Mitchell attracts the socially conservative and right wing FG vote, mightn't transfer to Norris as well as I thought.

Gallagher and Higgins are doing well and both did reasonably or very well in the debate, staying out of controversy, though the FF bit might hit Gallagher.

McGuinness isn't transferring well, SF and FF Republican vote, Higgins could do well on transfers there, left wing vote.

Ya never know, in next weeks poll Dana will be top, followed closely by MMcG. They chop and change so flipping much in 24 hrs. Its the polls taken closer to the time that will probably be the best indication or at least close enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd like to see him win it - he's the only normal candidate in it who isn't politically affiliated.

Seems like a genuinely sound bloke all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Does everything have to be spoonfed to people..

The man has been claiming disability benefit for 16 years while he been fit enough to work as a Senator..

You telling me there is nothing wrong with that???..

He no better then the guy too lazy to get off his arse and work imo

Here,Here.

Every time I turn on the Tv or the radio he is on having to defend himself, could you imagine that muppet as president ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Ya never know, in next weeks poll Dana will be top, followed closely by MMcG. They chop and change so flipping much in 24 hrs. Its the polls taken closer to the time that will probably be the best indication or at least close enough!

Dana :D. It'll be interesting to see a poll after the debate and see how MMG and Gallagher did.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Oddjob wrote: »
    So you have no idea, and add nothing to the debate, yet you keep replying.

Good man.

Never DID say I had an idea but suggested that for your efforts, you would be better spent using those efforts in a better direction.
    You will only end up vexed here asking question here that in reality - no one here will be able to answer to your satisfaction/curiousness.

I mentioned reservations about him some posts back - but still think he'd be a long term credit to the office as president than a disadvantage.

K-9 wrote: »
    Dana :D. It'll be interesting to see a poll after the debate and see how MMG and Gallagher did.

I'm telling ya, try to think about all the hymns you learnt in primary school, she's coming at ya with a big bible and white gloves. Be afraid K-9 be very afraid!

I reckon MMcG didn't do as well as Gallagher. I reckon MMcG wanted to box the head of VB, his anger was palpable!

I reckon MMcG wanted to box the head of VB, his anger was palpable!
    Box the head off him? Do you think he's mellowing out in his old age?:eek:

I reckon MMcG wanted to box the head of VB, his anger was palpable!

He was absolutely seething at one point - you could nearly see steam coming out his ears.

• Advertisement

Box the head off him? Do you think he's mellowing out in his old age?:eek:

Well to be fair there was a few cameras and witnesses there... chances are his on a list somewhere for a royal sh1t kicking and possible knee capping (jaysus I'm so stereo typing here)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I mentioned reservations about him some posts back - but still think he'd be a long term credit to the office as president than a disadvantage.

Yeah, I read it.

I would not discount a person on their past political leanings.

We need people who are entrepreneur, who can think outside the box and get results. We need new life, someone who is in touch with normal people. All the rest of them have been too long in their alternative universe to even relate to the likes of us, Waiting lists in hospitals, trouble making mortgage payments etc.

I believe he will make the office of President work for the people of Ireland.

Ironé wrote: »
    He was absolutely seething at one point - you could nearly see steam coming out his ears.

The more books VB pulled out, the more steam came out of his ears! Was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

How far in the past do they have to be do you mind me asking?

He was campaigning on behalf of FF' ers in the last GE. That's too close for comfort as far as I am concerned.

...We need people who are entrepreneur, who can think outside the box and get results. We need new life, someone who is in touch with normal people. All the rest of them have been too long in their alternative universe to even relate to the likes of us, Waiting lists in hospitals, trouble making mortgage payments etc...

No argument there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So Fine Gaels tactic is backfiring badly.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Gallagher has no chance of winning.....the older generation would never vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Gallagher is interested in the future not the past, the past been what FF did to the country. I cannot see him winning this election,not even in the last three.

Yeah, I read it.

We need people who are entrepreneur, who can think outside the box and get results. We need new life, someone who is in touch with normal people. All the rest of them have been too long in their alternative universe to even relate to the likes of us, Waiting lists in hospitals, trouble making mortgage payments etc.

I believe he will make the office of President work for the people of Ireland.

See the thing is - what power will the president actually have? What is the Job Spec? I don't think they'll be able to do anything about waiting lists in hospitals, the economic crisis etc. I mean really it's just a figurehead - someone who represents us as a country.

That said what would Gallagher say about us if he were president - a business savy, entrepreneur.

Is Michael D just more of the same?

I think it's unclear what the Irish identity is - post FF, post catholic church? post republicanism? Is it time we stopped living in the past?

I think we need something new and I'm beginning to think that might be Gallagher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

The way things have gone, I'd say Seán FitzPatrick is kicking himself he didn't throw his hat into the ring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement