Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I'm telling ya, try to think about all the hymns you learnt in primary school, she's coming at ya with a big bible and white gloves. Be afraid K-9 be very afraid!

I reckon MMcG didn't do as well as Gallagher. I reckon MMcG wanted to box the head of VB, his anger was palpable!

And that big bad European Constitution that is now part of the Irish Constitution that she has to uphold. For comedy value, it would be hilarious, imagine her and the civil partnership bill!

As somebody said during the debate, she is getting the powers of the President mixed up a bit with the Minister for Finance and the Attorney General and the Taoiseach! All she can do is refer any contentious law to the Council of State anyway.

Browne was superb, fantastic TV, thought he might have laboured the point but he nailed it. All the respected journalists and IRA historians all know the truth. The denial will go down well with the Shinners but any hope of him getting substantial transfers is gone.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I must admit, I think Gallagher has come accross as a bit of a bluffer tbh.

He couldn't even think of ANY big legislation to go through the Dáil the past 7 years :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Ironé wrote: »
    See the thing is - what power will the president actually have? What is the Job Spec? I don't think they'll be able to do anything about waiting lists in hospitals, the economic crisis etc. I mean really it's just a figurehead - someone who represents us as a country.

That said what would Gallagher say about us if he were president - a business savy, entrepreneur.

Is Michael D just more of the same?

I think it's unclear what the Irish identity is - post FF, post catholic church? post republicanism? Is it time we stopped living in the past?

I think we need something new and I'm beginning to think that might be Gallagher.

How about post-using-the-prefix-post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Do I hear any calls for Michael D to give up 3 of his 4 pensions? Anyone? How about he keeps the UCG and EU one but gives up either the Ministerial or TD one? Don't care which....

Seeing as you didn't answer my last question regarding this topic. I should make it clear for you that Higgins is not getting 4 full pensions. He is getting partial pension based on time spent working in various places. Like every in the country.

Facts, get them straight. Michael D has also already stated he will drop them if he becomes president. Something none of the other candidates are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

rarnes1 wrote: »

He couldn't even think of ANY big legislation to go through the Dáil the past 7 years :o

Yeah that was unfortunate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

SeaFields wrote: »
    How far in the past do they have to be do you mind me asking?

He was campaigning on behalf of FF' ers in the last GE. That's too close for comfort as far as I am concerned.

Not long, 18 months to 2 years max, I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

rarnes1 wrote: »

He is a bluffer and that was obvious to the viewers last night.
    ''I am saddened by the level of this debate and the tone of it'' where did he get that line from.

How about post-using-the-prefix-post?

Wokka wokka!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ironé wrote: »
    See the thing is - what power will the president actually have? What is the Job Spec? I don't think they'll be able to do anything about waiting lists in hospitals, the economic crisis etc. I mean really it's just a figurehead - someone who represents us as a country.

That said what would Gallagher say about us if he were president - a business savy, entrepreneur.

Is Michael D just more of the same?

I think it's unclear what the Irish identity is - post FF, post catholic church? post republicanism? Is it time we stopped living in the past?

I think we need something new and I'm beginning to think that might be Gallagher.

I didn't mean he could do anything about it but he would be one of the few candidates that can relate with it, as in, he hasn't been living the high life for very long.

I do appreacite he will have no "real" power but the office will open doors for him that normally would be closed and he will rub shoulders with interesting people who can be swayed into sending business our way.

I didn't mean he could do anything about it but he would be one of the few candidates that can relate with it, as in, he hasn't been living the high life for very long.

I do appreacite he will have no "real" power but the office will open doors for him that normally would be closed and he will rub shoulders with interesting people who can be swayed into sending business our way.

I agree with you - my post was a bit of a ramble :)

I think he'll be one to watch over the coming weeks but he'll need to impress a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'd like to see him win it - he's the only normal candidate in it who isn't politically affiliated.

Seems like a genuinely sound bloke all round.

Sarcasm detector goes to 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

squod wrote: »
    Sarcasm detector goes to 11

I don't blame ya, going on some of the stuff I post!

Haven't paid any attention to any pre-election stuff he's done, but I'd heard a few radio interviews with him before the egg & spoon race to the Aras started & he seems like a genuinely sound bloke.

Haven't paid any attention to any pre-election stuff he's done, but I'd heard a few radio interviews with him before the egg & spoon race to the Aras started & he seems like a genuinely sound bloke.

He is a nice bloke but FF. He does not know his stuff at all.
    As a person he is lovely but not presidential material.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Gallagher is a spoofer, jesus he's a bleedin 'celeb' from a junk TV show that humiliated people, he's smug and vapid. Mary Davis is a professional careerist utterly devoted to the cause, which is herself, David Norris comes across as profoundly arrogant and deeply untrustworthy based on the big hole he's busy digging for himself. Martin McGuinness does sincerity pretty good like many shinners, but there are too many skangers waiting in the wings for kickbacks. Dana...just leave it over there...sigh. Gay Mitchell is somewhat frightening is an old hack politico sense, that part of IRELAND we thought we had purged ourselves of. Michael D seems slightly bemused with it all, not sure he has all his faculties at all, but his heart is in the right place. since this is the entire field and their combined attributes wouldn't equal Mary Robinson's left tit, I'll probably be voting for Michael D

Great debate with Browne, he was scalding, loved it, all like bloody scolded kids!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Can't stand the bugger meself. A victory for Fianna Fail if he gets in. A spit in the eye of every decent human in the country. I'd rather see the Aras burnt to the ground.

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00755/ahern_i_755490t.jpg

squod wrote: »
    Can't stand the bugger meself. A victory for Fianna Fail if he gets in. A spit in the eye of every decent human in the country. I'd rather see the Aras burnt to the ground.

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00755/ahern_i_755490t.jpg

Blast from the past. Sean is not interested in the past, just the future.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dont want norris as president im not homophobic i just think that a homosexual should not represent this state and also it would confuse young children.

my vote is for mcguiness the ride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

** YAWN**

**PHAAAAAAAAAAAAARP **

bollocks to all of them , apart from Norris , he can have a vagina.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Came across this on breaking news - I post it 'cos it was something I suspected!
    It has emerged that Labour's Presidential hopeful Michael D Higgins was standing on a box throughout last night's TV debate on TV3.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/boxing-clever--higgins-elevated-for-tv3-debate-523161.html#ixzz1ZwzMGqIH

Not that it makes any difference to his running (it shouldn't) - I just thought it was just me that was losing it thinking he had got suddenly taller! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ricero wrote: »
    dont want norris as president im not homophobic i just think that a homosexual should not represent this state and also it would confuse young children.

my vote is for mcguiness the ride :)

Whatever you think about Norris, his sexuality should have no bearing on his competence as a president.

How exactly will he confuse young children?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

If Sean is such a great Business brain then why doesn't he jump ship and join Fine Gael so he can get the trade portfolia and go on meet and greet missions with Dictators and War criminals like Cameron and Obama to secure Jobs for Ireland as his tallents will not serve him well as President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Whatever you think about Norris, his sexuality should have no bearing on his competence as a president.

this is a catholic nation and children must know that although homosexuality is acceptable in modern times, the catholic church is against it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Seeing as you didn't answer my last question regarding this topic. I should make it clear for you that Higgins is not getting 4 full pensions. He is getting partial pension based on time spent working in various places. Like every in the country.

Facts, get them straight. Michael D has also already stated he will drop them if he becomes president. Something none of the other candidates are doing.

I didn't see your posts - I have a life outside boards and was off living it.

What did you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Teacher: Show me your homework.

Little Johnny: I will not, I have taken legal advice & apparently showing you my homework would infringe on the rights of others.

Teacher: I do not believe that, I want to see your homework...

Little Johnny: The people of Ireland have moved on from my homework...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

this is a catholic nation and children must know that although homosexuality is acceptable in modern times, the catholic church is against it

There are more lapsed catholics in Ireland than practising ones. Do you really think saying the catholic church is against "being gay" is a valid argument? Cos eh... Have I got news for you... It's not!

Oh please just stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The Catholic church should have no say whatsoever in who is elected President.

I am not Catholic, nor are many others in this nation (my children included).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hmmmmmm, but it's stance on paedophilia was rather more ambiguous.

:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Dana? Is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

hondasam wrote: »
    Oh please just stop.

Dammit, I should have said that. That was a much better answer than mine!

You're an evil genius Hondasam!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement