Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mikemac wrote: »
    I wanted Michael D seven year ago so I'll definitly vote for him now

Met him often around Galway, very impressed with him

Some say he is old and doddery
    But there was some passion in his last speech to the Dáil, passion I've not seen from the others
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJJ5q1_5jX8

Let the West awake :D

Not bothered about discussing the others, I had my mind made up seven years ago :)

Seven seconds was all my ear's could take, I like the man but God damn that voice :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm spoiling mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'll be perfectly honest and say I haven't got too deeply in to thinking about this, until now when they are all finalised.

I was on holiday for a few weeks at the time that Norris dropped out. I would just be reading a little bit of news on my phone every couple of days.

From the little bit I learned at that time, he had written the letters supporting his partner who had raped a 15 year old boy. From that, I had completely disregarded him. I didn't see any of the interviews when he re-entered.

I read a little more about the letters last night after he was successful, and from what I understand now, he was supporting yer man who had (copyright B Clinton) consensual sexual relations with a 15 year old, which is considered rape in that country.

Am I getting it right?

I'm spoiling mine.

Well that's your choice too, and you have that right because as I said other's fought and died for your right to vote which ever way you choose.

Personally I think its a cowardly & lazy way of using your vote, but it is the choice you are given.

Its only slightly better than not voting at all, marginally better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'll be perfectly honest and say I haven't got too deeply in to thinking about this, until now when they are all finalised.

I was on holiday for a few weeks at the time that Norris dropped out. I would just be reading a little bit of news on my phone every couple of days.

From the little bit I learned at that time, he had written the letters supporting his partner who had raped a 15 year old boy. From that, I had completely disregarded him. I didn't see any of the interviews when he re-entered.

I read a little more about the letters last night after he was successful, and from what I understand now, he was supporting yer man who had (copyright B Clinton) consensual sexual relations with a 15 year old, which is considered rape in that country.

Am I getting it right?

Almost. he sent an official letter to the courts looking for clemency for the man who had been convicted of statutiry rape of a 15 year old boy. He believed his partner had been tricked into doing it. How you can be tricked into committing buggery I don't quite know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

MagicSean wrote: »
    Almost. he sent an official letter to the courts looking for clemency for the man who had been convicted of statutiry rape of a 15 year old boy.

He sent seven letters.
    How you can be tricked into committing buggery I don't quite know.

He slipped...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

Well that's your choice too, and you have that right because as I said other's fought and died for your right to vote which ever way you choose.

Personally I think its a cowardly & lazy way of using your vote, but it is the choice you are given.

It's funny saying that because you're voting for someone that ordered the deaths of soldiers and gardaí. People who died for our vote and our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

squod wrote: »
    He sent seven letters.

He slipped...:rolleyes:

He wasn't aware of the young man's age- now a defence in this country

I'm voting Norris because internet trolling about such an abhorrent character is the new craze.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I wonder, if Norris has wrote a letter of clemency for an Irish priest accused of violating, raping, an Irish child would that have been different for his supporters now?...

Or can we sit comfortably by and let it happen to other's in the same way we can call on the unionist parties up in the north of Ireland to enter into a power sharing assembly with Adams, MMG & Co. but we dare not ask it of ourselves?.

We make them share power because otherwise everyone starts killing each other again, and because they abused and persecuted catholics for several decades.

There won't be violence if we keep out SF and we have never done anything bad to our Protestant minority that would mean we couldn't be trusted without being forced to allow them participate in government.

We make the disgusting Unionists accept the disgusting Nationalists in government because it saves lives, stops violence and is the only way to protect the two sides from one another - no one expects them to like it, and there is nothing hypocritical about us refusing to accept them ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sean Gallagher. ANYONE but Norris. I'd even vote for mcGuinness ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

He slipped...[/QUOTE]

:D lol

efb wrote: »
    He wasn't aware of the young man's boys age- now a defence in this country

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm voting for you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I think voting should be mandatory - both in AND out of the Dail. No-one should be allowed abstain. EVER.

He wasn't aware of the young man's age- now a defence in this country

But not a defence (in this country) when Norris sent off his eight letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Actually yeah, what does he know about Ireland?

It'll be like Gerry Adams in the leaders debate all over again.

Ray Darcy asked MMG three questions about the south of Ireland today.

How many TD's in the Dail?

Who is the minister for the environment?

Who won the all ireland hurling final?

He got one out of three correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Almost. he sent an official letter to the courts looking for clemency for the man who had been convicted of statutiry rape of a 15 year old boy. He believed his partner had been tricked into doing it. How you can be tricked into committing buggery I don't quite know.

He believed Ezra believed the 15 year old was actually 16 - i.e. over the age of consent. And as for 'buggery' a) no one was ever charged with sodomy (is this considered a crime in Israel?) b) How do you now they engaged in anal intercourse? Not all gay men do - and quite a few heterosexuals do...

It was as it was proven to contravene natural law- so all statutory rape convictions were expunged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Actually yeah, what does he know about Ireland?

It'll be like Gerry Adams in the leaders debate all over again.

lol, serious facepalm

• Advertisement

Ray Darcy asked MMG three questions about the south of Ireland today.

How many TD's in the Dail?

Who is the minister for the environment?

Who won the all ireland hurling final?

He got one out of three correct.

Surprised Ray D'Arsey knew the answers. Now that he has emigrated n'all.

FYP

15? Boy? I stop calling males over 13 boy- I find it patronising.

And boy's is a presume what you meant.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    How do you now they engaged in anal intercourse? Not all gay men do - and quite a few heterosexuals do...

I've been rimmed, just with a finger - its brilliant :cool:

FYP

And boy's is I presume what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Seven seconds was all my ear's could take, I like the man but God damn that voice :mad:

good god..what did you think of Norris then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Whilst I enjoy your sentiment towards voting and what it means to you,I can't help but be a little humoured by your passion to vote on what,imo,is a postion entirely void of any substantial meaning or relevance.

But not a defence (in this country) when Norris sent off his eight letters.

7 letters, now 8??? He must have worn out his typewriter

And boy's is I presume what you meant.

Norris should give you grinds in English. There's no need for an apostrophe in a pluralisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I know I said earlier on a couple of other threads that I wouldn't be voting for Norris but I'm beginning to have a change of heart. I know that what Norris did in the 90's was wrong and shows a lack of judgment on his part but he certainly seems to be better than a lot of the candidates running (bar Michael D. Higgins). I know this might sound a bit wrong but having such a liberal and open President will progress Ireland's image abroad by leaps and bounds and will help wash away that old tattered view of Ireland being a Catholic, socially conservative country.

My only other critique of Norris is that he seems a bit pompous, either intentionally or inadvertently, however he always seems to be quite outspoken.

This is how I see the rest of the candidates:

Mary Davis: Don't know much about her, haven't read her manifesto or proposals, if she has any. I know she did I lot of work for the Special Olympics but that's all. I had considered voting for her on those grounds.

Seán Gallagher: Independent m'eye! He has had links with Fianna Fáil for years. I don't think much of him. He could just use the position and the campaign in general to forward his own vested interests in business.

Martin McGuinness: A little too extremist I think. Given his history, I don't think it'll do much for Ireland's reputation abroad.

Gay Mitchell: At the end of the day, there might be a chance of having a gay in office, but I certainly wouldn't be voting for this Gay. He's a socially conservative homophobe (you know what they say about homophobes) for the Mitchell dynasty. Having a president like that will be like rolling back the clock.

Dana Rosemary Scallon: No. I'd put her in the same boat as Mitchell. Definitely won't be voting for this one. Besides, she's only known for singing one song.

Michael D. Higgins: I'd probably put him as my second choice. Socially progress, though I don't agree with Labour's fiscal position.

• Advertisement

The boy's age- only one young man involved- or was it a bit of an orgy...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement