Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Gallagher is FF true 'n true.
    The reason he wont criticize them, is he's looking for their votes.

They haven't gone away you know!

Yup, he just could not crticise his party - as VB has just said that is the mark of a true genepool FFer.
    He has the speaking out of both sides of his mouth down to a tee as well.
    People should be very wary of giving that man any vote IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Poll reset to allow users to vote again

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Christ.. Even Jedward For President(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I have to say as a serving soldier I found the image of the son of Private Kelly (murdered by the IRA) confronting MMG yesterday very powerful.

I'm trying my best to put the violent past behind us, but I can imagine I'll have a huge fight with my conscience come election day.

More and more I'm being drawn to Gallagher now.

I know Gallagher on a personal level and have been putting that to the back of my mind.

And the young trainee Guard who was shot, unarmed and about as innocent as you could get.

Yep, I get the war stuff!

The Gardai were an unarmed police force, nowhere near the RUC, in no way involved in some romanticised version of Republican history.

There was a reason the Guards were unarmed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

i know plenty of "ex" FFers who will not now admit to following/supporting the Soldiers of Destruction, as to do so would be social suicide.

however i know they would love to see Gallagher win, but are too astute/cowardly/sensitive (delete as appropriate) to say so in open company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

So they're saying there's nothing in the papers :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

A Gallagher victory is a loss for eveyone else. How will the rest of the world judge us if we put him in the big house knowing what FF have done to this country.

We might as well elect Brendan Drumm as president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

irish-stew wrote: »
    Any mention of her on TV3 yet, just turned over to it. Got distracted by yet another repeat of Reeling in the Years.

Big Jack & the boys... ah, them were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

K-9 wrote: »
    And the young trainee Guard who was shot, unarmed and about as innocent as you could get.

Yep, I get the war stuff!

The Gardai were an unarmed police force, nowhere near the RUC, in no way involved in some romanticised version of Republican history.

There was a reason the Guards were unarmed.

See this is the thing.

I believe in the peace process, and I do believe that MMG is sincere in his beliefs in the peace process too.

I also believe that at some stage we have to put our violent past behind us, yes its 'our' past because this state was born out of terror - each and every one of us got our freedom from Britannia through violence and thats a poxy part of our history none of us should forget.

At this stage I'm still leaning towards MMG, but I'll be honest - I'm wrestling with my conscience.

Gallagher, dyed in the wool FF'er will be his downfall.

Norris - not a snowballs chance in hell.

Higgins - too fuddy-duddy and 'old fart factor for me.

Dana - as I've said earlier tonight - people are in asylums for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Toss a coin Makikomi. Big money being spent convincing old dears that Mitchel is a great man altogether. We'll all be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

See this is the thing.

I believe in the peace process, and I do believe that MMG is sincere in his beliefs in the peace process too.

I also believe that at some stage we have to put our violent past behind us

MMG does, no doubt believe in the peace process, but I don't think anyone seriously believes him when he consistently denies his role in the IRA.

He did what he believed he had to do & if it weren't for Sinn Fein & the IRA, Catholics in the North would have continued to have suffered and that's all well & good.

But at some stage, he really should have come out of his IRA closet & fessed up. I think he's a bit of a coward in that respect. And you can't put the past behind you if you simply choose not to recognise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

I like Gallaghers lipstick though, looked like me might have a bit of preshow time snoggin' someones backside as it looked more than a little smeared, Miriams possibly, and jesus those squinty eyes full of mock seriousness/sincerity....vomit inducing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Apparently Miriam is getting absolutely flamed tonight and loads of people are firing off emails to complaints@rte.ie as they are unhappy about her hostility and perceived personal bias against Martin McGuinness.

Remember BBC got loads of complaints about a prank call by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, the sheer number of complaints led to apologies and dismissals so however you feel about McGuinness (and despite his past, I think the way she sneered at him tonight was out of order for a Presidential debate) if you want Miriam and RTE in a bit of hot water then fire the email off to complaints@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Stop the press: Dana was religious advisor to the IRA from 1969 to 1983

Toss a coin Makkomi.

I'd be afraid to, but tonight its the easiest option.. Feck it - MMG.

There I said it, now back to the real people in my life - facebook is calling :p

Btw, some funny tags on this thread (Dana the Dunce, Pedo Beard & Mitchell The Lunatic lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

donfers wrote: »
    Apparently Miriam is getting absolutely flamed tonight and loads of people are firing off emails to complaints@rte.ie as they are unhappy about her hostility and perceived personal bias against Martin McGuinness.

Remember BBC got loads of complaints about a prank call by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, the sheer number of complaints led to apologies and dismissals so however you feel about McGuinness (and despite his past, I think the way she sneered at him tonight was out of order for a Presidential debate) if you want Miriam and RTE in a bit of hot water then fire the email off to complaints@rte.ie

Careful now, if you haven't actually got a tv license.

See this is the thing.

I also believe that at some stage we have to put our violent past behind us, yes its 'our' past because this state was born out of terror - each and every one of us got our freedom from Britannia through violence and thats a poxy part of our history none of us should forget.

At this stage I'm still leaning towards MMG, but I'll be honest - I'm wrestling with my conscience.

Gallagher, dyed in the wool FF'er will be his downfall.

Norris - not a snowballs chance in hell.

Higgins - too fuddy-duddy and 'old fart factor for me.

Dana - as I've said earlier tonight - people are in asylums for less.

I see your dilemna.

Look cards on the table, my Dad was a Guard, did his border duty and still respected Bobby Sands, my first memory of politics as a 7 year old.

Still:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/gardaarlar/prog1.html

I do try and understand the nuances, I tend to understand political nuances and predicaments, was quite the Republican in my day, read up on gerymandering etc. etc. It's why I laugh at the barstool Republicans who presume I know nothing because I criticise the IRA!

Look, everybody knew the ordinary Guard on the street was unarmed and posed little threat. Take your disdain at a member of the armed forces murdered and multiply it by "put yourself in their shoes" an unarmed Garda officer, Sergeant or Trainee, shot in cold blood.

Those guys knew normal uniformed Gardai were unarmed and defenceless. Otherwise they don't have a clue about the foundation of this state.

Cold blooded murderers no matter what your politics.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

We need a God damned truth and reconciliation commission in this kip.

Poor Dana, I thought towards the end she was going to announce her withdrawal from the race.. She was truely pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Its a real pity there isnt a decent candidate between the lot of them. I really cant imagine any of them doing a good job as president, despite the fact you dont really have much to do, I think they would funk that up as well

Poor Dana, I thought towards the end she was going to announce her withdrawal from the race.. She was truely pitiful.

we will never have a Truth & Reconciliation commission in this little island because the UK Govt are set against it. They have more to lose than any of the other participants.
    everbody knows the IRA, INLA, UDA, UVF were a bunch of murderous assholes, but the Brits have always tried to play the nice guys.

and guess what if the truth were to emerge, the world might get to know just what a ****ty part they played in events also!

HM's Govt murdering innocents? NEVER???:eek:

• Advertisement

In fairness to the IRA, it tended to be the INLA and associates who had a blood thirst for murdering defenceless, unarmed members of the Guards.

We do need a truth and reconciliation committee. I don't know if Mr.McGuinness will be that forthcoming in his truthiness! :D Nor the Brits for that matter!

Unless everybody is truthful, it is kind of pointless.

Fecking politics!

we will never have a Truth & Reconciliation commission in this little island because the UK Govt are set against it. They have more to lose than any of the other participants.
    everbody knows the IRA, INLA, UDA, UVF were a bunch of murderous assholes, but the Brits have always tried to play the nice guys.

and guess what if the truth were to emerge, the world might get to know just what a ****ty part they played in events also!

HM's Govt. murdered plenty of innocents and I'll join you in highlighting Shoot to Kill, the Clegg case, Castlereagh etc.

I hope we get the same forthcoming interest in Enniskillen, Shankill and Warrington etc. etc. from the same faces calling for truth on the above.

Yeah, the law and order forces of a state should be held to a higher standard, hell, sure Shoot to Kill wouldn't have got out otherwise, but the actions of the other side should also be held accountable. Otherwise, it's a whitewash Widgery report!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

COYW wrote: »
    An "Anyone but McGuinness" option would be nice for the 'West Brits' amongst us.

A British person of Irish parenthood here My decision after todays debates is going against the gutter Political Commentators/Journalists. This is a Presidential Election and not a Political football match. I will not be voting for a WEST BRIT ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Miriam O'Callaghan getting a bollicking on Twitter apparently over her line of questioning. She was f*cking pathetic though, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

We've seen first-hand what they're doing in Iraq, so I don't agree with the above.

Doesn't excuse other people adding to the murder toll, though.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    We've seen first-hand what they're doing in Iraq, so I don't agree with the above.

Liam i think you are a little confused.
    try reading my post again.:confused:

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Mr McGuinness isn't that inclined in seeing the full truthiness revealed either.

Look, either let all sides just get over it, as distasteful as that is, or let everybody pick at everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Mr McGuinness isn't that inclined in seeing the full truthiness revealed either.

Look, either let all sides just get over it, as distasteful as that is, or let everybody pick at everything.

Apart from the fact that McG and SF are the ones calling for a T&R commission and have had discussions with Nelson Mandela about it.
    The British are refusing to take part in it.
    It's the only way to deal with this stuff, anything else will plunge us all back in the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Sure he said he left in 1974, ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

I see your dilemna.

Look cards on the table, my Dad was a Guard, did his border duty and still respected Bobby Sands, my first memory of politics as a 7 year old.

Still:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/gardaarlar/prog1.html

I do try and understand the nuances, I tend to understand political nuances and predicaments, was quite the Republican in my day, read up on gerymandering etc. etc. It's why I laugh at the barstool Republicans who presume I know nothing because I criticise the IRA!

Look, everybody knew the ordinary Guard on the street was unarmed and posed little threat. Take your disdain at a member of the armed forces murdered and multiply it by "put yourself in their shoes" an unarmed Garda officer, Sergeant or Trainee, shot in cold blood.

Those guys knew normal uniformed Gardai were unarmed and defenceless. Otherwise they don't have a clue about the foundation of this state.

Cold blooded murderers no matter what your politics.

Good post.
    I think (young?) people are forgetting this, irrespective of anything else MMG has done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement