Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Morlar wrote: »
    It usually helps though doesn't it ? Otherwise you are just making random assumptions.
    Its crazy to call it a random assumption. You must understand this.

Are you basing this on 'most people' you know or 'most people' in a survey ?
    I don't know what you're asking here - did I personally ask most people in the country:confused:
    Most people I know and surveys.
    Earlier this week it was his alleged westminister salary, then it was his income level, then it was his redacted utility bills, now we are back to this. Is there anything of substance in the Anti-McGuinness campaign aside from a series of unproven allegations ? How about moving from negative campaigning to positive campaigning.
    This will remain a topic as long as it's not answered. Just like the Norris letters. Answer the question truthfully and it will go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

myironlung wrote: »
    No matter what Martin McGuinness says he's still got blood on his hands. Murder is never acceptable. Do we want a criminal like that representing us to the world?
    I find it disgusting that he is running. It's a total insult to Ireland.
    Would you want a drug baron or someone like that who claimed he'd given up years ago as President?
    He claims to be a peacemaker. Yet he was one of those fanning the flames of conflict for so long. I'm 26, I can just about remember the pain and suffering men like him caused. I'm afraid a lot of people my age and younger don't remember, and I think that's why polls seem to show him doing well (not to mention the shinnerbots who seem to be everywhere online lately).
    I've no reason to be biased or have any party allegiances, this is totally my own educated and well thought out opinion.
    To be honest, if he got elected I would be very disappointed in the people of Ireland. I wouldn't want to be a citizen of a country that thinks it's OK for such scum to represent them.

cue shinnerbots' predictable and repetitive responses

This is extremely questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Majority of people I have talked to actually don't care when he left the IRA. The only people who are making a big deal out of this are people who would never have voted for him anyway because of his association with the Irish Republican Army.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

According to the Journal.ie - there is apparently now a good chance Dana is going to withdraw from the race.

As someone posted on their site :
    Allegations, litigation, campaign costs too
    All kinds of everything reminds me to sue,

Thought it was witty! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Stinicker wrote: »
    If anyone thinks RTÉ is Government biased they are kidding themselves, RTÉ Pravada are only the mouthpiece of the FF traitor party and I personally would go to jail before I'd ever pay them a licence fee and the propaganda they spout for that party, most of their TV presenters are directly linked to Fianna Fail like Tubridy and O'Callaghan, a thundering disgrace and I hope FG swings the axe heavily on them and close them all down.

+1 can't believe MoC wasn't fired by now. Goes to show. FF stooges are alive and well it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Majority of people I have talked to actually don't care when he left the IRA. The only people who are making a big deal out of this are people who would never have voted for him anyway because of his association with the Irish Republican Army.

I have no time for the I.R.A. or their armchair supporters because of the cold-blooded things they did in the past BUT i will probably vote for Mc Guinness because to me he is the best candidate and has put the past behind him. In fact i probably had more time for the I.R.A men who put their lives on the line than i had for their armchair supporters though if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's obvious.

She's one of the illuminati.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Higgins is the best of a bad bunch, Norris screwed it up.

Dana and MMG are bottom of the barrel.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

My vote will go to Michael D Higgins, 2nd place to Norris. I'm actually disgusted by how much support McGuinness has - the president is supposed to represent the people of the country both at home and abroad, and he in no way presents himself in a way I want associated with Ireland or it's people (look for example at Berlusconi who people the world over slag Italians for making Prime Minister).

Also Dana baffles me as a candidate to be honest. The woman looks cracked. Were the rumours she mentioned last night ever revealed does any one know? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

My vote will go to Michael D Higgins, 2nd place to Norris. I'm actually disgusted by how much support McGuinness has - the president is supposed to represent the people of the country both at home and abroad, and he in no way presents himself in a way I want associated with Ireland or it's people (look for example at Berlusconi who people the world over slag Italians for making Prime Minister).

Also Dana baffles me as a candidate to be honest. The woman looks cracked. Were the rumours she mentioned last night ever revealed does any one know? :confused:

You say you are disgusted by MMG becoming president while saying you give 2nd choice to David Norris? Laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You can't make a claim like that and then cop out of explaining.

I'm not even remotely confused, so explain or retract.

i can - I just did in fact.

Ah - the old "throw in a pathetic unfounded dig and then run off into the sunset when asked to back it up" tactic ?

Fair enough - I was due another entry to my ignore list anyway.

You say you are disgusted by MMG becoming president while saying you give 2nd choice to David Norris? Laughable.

At least David Norris recognises the Irish republic! McGuinness doesn't even appear to acknowledge that the Republic of Ireland is a separate country ruled by different people, and not just some small part of a larger Ireland :rolleyes:

At least David Norris recognises the Irish republic! McGuinness doesn't even appear to acknowledge that the Republic of Ireland is a separate country ruled by different people

Yes that's why he wants to run for president.

Ruled by different people? You mean corrupt, country and people destroying fat cats, Brit apologists and partitionists? Yes you maybe right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

At least David Norris recognises the Irish republic! McGuinness doesn't even appear to acknowledge that the Republic of Ireland is a separate country ruled by different people, and not just some small part of a larger Ireland :rolleyes:

MMG has stated he wants to set up a new republic. He does recognize Ireland, of course he does! He just thinks its current structure is flawed! I agree with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

That is a hilarious statement, you are clearly ignorant to the fact that "The Irish Republic" does not exist. Do you work for the BBC by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Won't be voting for either Norris or Mmcg but at least the later has some principal (even if it is flawed). Norris is an egotistical self server

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    That is a hilarious statement, you are clearly ignorant to the fact that "The Irish Republic" does not exist. Do you work for the BBC by any chance?

While you are clearly ignorant to the fact that it's just another way of referring to the country. Republic of Ireland/Irish Republic are the same thing.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    MMG has stated he wants to set up a new republic. He does recognize Ireland, of course he does! He just thinks its current structure is flawed! I agree with him!

He doesn't accept the country as it currently is and I disagree with him.
    Ruled by different people? You mean corrupt, country and people destroying fat cats, Brit apologists and partitionists? Yes you maybe right.

*sigh* I find a lot of MMG voters keep peddling out this sort of rubbish and expecting it to mean something. Empty words.

*sigh* I find a lot of MMG voters keep peddling out this sort of rubbish and expecting it to mean something. Empty words.

Just stooping to a level you understand really, calling people ignorant being a great example.

Just stooping to a level you understand really, calling people ignorant being a great example.

Point out where I called anyone ignorant please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

While you are clearly ignorant to the fact that it's just another way of referring to the country. Republic of Ireland/Irish Republic are the same thing.

No I am not ignorant to the fact that that term is used by uneducated people or the pathetic pricks in the BBC.

It is completely incorrect to refer to our country as "The Irish Republic", if you have the respect you claim you have for this country you wouldn't use that term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Voting for Gallagher.

Look at the type of people who use "The Irish Republic" to refer to the south...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

He doesn't accept the country as it currently is and I disagree with him.

The Republic of Ireland is a soccer team. There is no Republic of Ireland country.

He does accept "Ireland" as it currently is... He doesnt believe it is working though... It's called dissent, it's part of democracy. A person puts forward his/her opinion and then the electorate vote...

He is as entitled to his opinion as anyone... When Dev was elected Taoiseach in the 30's it was his open intention to strip down the free state.

I'm not saying MMG will have any ambition or power to change Ireland but there is precedent for Irish politicians to disagree with the structures of the state they are running to be elected to...

We also have a convention on constitutional change coming up in the Spring, maybe Ireland will be changed through that.

Why don't you suggest we change the name of the state to the Republic of Ireland? I wouldnt want it but you are entitled to your opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

@ Liam Byrne

Ah - the old "throw in a pathetic unfounded dig and then run off into the sunset when asked to back it up" tactic ?

Fair enough - I was due another entry to my ignore list anyway.

You are like a deluded Vegan running around in leather shoes and a leather jacket....you can blithely ignore anything and anybody that makes your arguments look hypocritical.

It's how Bush, Obama, Blair etc get themselves to sleep at night.
    McGuinness did the honourable thing and CHANGED his view point and brokered the peace.
    He is a bigger man, a man of more substance than any of our venerable world leaders.
    But you'll ignore their crimes because, of course, they butter your bread. Par for the course for the southern deniers. Do you work at Shannon perhaps? :rolleyes:

P.S. Could somebody quote this....the child has me on ignore....god bless his wee cotton socks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Is it true that the brother was caught logging on to one of those sites? You know, the ones about Science, Evolution, Richard Hawkings, the big bang & all that craic? I tell you, I'd have to think again who I was giving my number one to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Voting for Gallagher is voting for FF, **** that

Between MMG and Norris although the former is ahead for the simple reason that I am sick of FF and FG and it's a vote to tell them to go feck off.

I like Higgins, but Jesus Christ the man should be enjoying his pension:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Voting for Gallagher.

You are voting for Fianna Fail, turkeys voting for christmas and all that, Mary Davis is another Fianna Fail cronie and a few years in jail is what both of them deserve not votes!

I like Higgins, but Jesus Christ the man should be enjoying his pension:o

I get the impression that he wouldn't know what to do with his free time if he retired :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Look at the type of people who use "The Irish Republic" to refer to the south...
    Is that not used in general though?

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Is that not used in general though?
    No. By certain sects of the media and British people yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement