Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

we have already decided the Irish Republic is the most anal state in the World. Jasus , I wish I was in the Dominican Republic, now there a real banana republic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

K-9 wrote: »
    Who the f*ck cares? Makes Grammar Nazies look sexy.
    I do, I think its curious that they purposefully use that description. Why do you think the BBC for example use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

gigino wrote: »
    now there a real banana republic....

I had banana earler, but I eated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jaysis just read the last few pages.

Glad some of the posters aren't running for president.

TV debates would be a disaster...60 mins of arguing if they'd become President of Ireland or Republic of Ireland!

People really have little to worry about!

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I do, I think its curious that they purposefully use that description. Why do you think the BBC for example use it?

That was a question in the Million Pound Drop last week. The possible answers were;

a) Because the BBC hate the Irish.
    b) Because the BBC want to keep us oppressed for another 90 billion years
    c) Because the BBC are part of a British conspiracy against the Irish
    d) Because you touch yourself at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

Well done. You can use Wikipedia.

Now, stop going on about it. No-one really cares.

And guess why?

It's not really that important.

Well when you have a poster trying to claim the moral high ground going on about how much he loves his country, I think it is only right to show him up when he can't even get the name of the country he professes to love correct.

thats what happens when people from outside the jurisdiction, who never paid tax to the state in their lives, decide to run for Presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

You what? Jaysus lad, I hate this phrase but it's apt here, you not have more pressing matters to worry about?
    That was a question in the Million Pound Drop last week. The possible answers were;

The BBC denigrate Ireland so it's d.

I love the Million Pound Drop, despite Davina! West Brit that I am.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I'm going for D because out of those options thats the only one I know to be true :pac:

thats what happens when people from outside the jurisdiction, who never paid tax to the state in their lives, decide to run for Presidency.

What a remarkably stupid post, but not at all surprising considering the owner of the fingers that typed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

murpho999 wrote: »
    Jaysis just read the last few pages.

Glad some of the posters aren't running for president.

TV debates would be a disaster...60 mins of arguing if they'd become President of Ireland or Republic of Ireland!

People really have little to worry about!

This is a thread about the next president of Ireland. The Presidents job... defend the constitution, (Dana wasn't just saying it for the cráic).

The naming of the state is part of the constitution. It is important, and some people do care an awful lot about Ireland. How she is run, honoured & respected on an international stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Who the f*ck cares? Makes Grammar Nazies look sexy.

People with an actual interest in the State and it's history care. People fought and died for this.

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    What a remarkably stupid post, but not at all surprising considering the owner of the fingers that typed it

What's with the hostility?

If you can't argue a debate without resorting to insults, then you've already lost the argument.

If you can't argue a debate without resorting to insults, then you've already lost the argument.

Can you not see the irrelevance and stupidity of that post?

Also, there is no argument to lose as there is no such place as "The Irish Republic". Simple as that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well when you have a poster trying to claim the moral high ground going on about how much he loves his country, I think it is only right to show him up when he can't even get the name of the country he professes to love correct.

Are you referring to me? :confused:

Well done. You can use Wikipedia.

Now, stop going on about it. No-one really cares.

And guess why?

It's not really that important.
    Is there a "Who Is The Most Anal Person in AH?" competition on tonight?
    I had banana earler, but I eated it.

You're being quite hostile/annoying yourself there chief!

Also, there is no argument to lose as there is no such place as "The Irish Republic". Simple as that.

OK. You win the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Quick question; has the issue of Martin McGuinness's association with the IRA been discussed yet?

Cos I'd really like to explore that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Not voting for McGuinness as to be honest, he clearly isn't in touch with the Irish people. Or certainly not with the ones who live in this jurisdiction. Whether we like it or not, he lives in and has represented a totally different jurisdiction in the past and I feel he just doesn't "fit in" as a public representative for the Republic. That we recognise the North as part of our own country in terms of citizenship and right to run for President, but no longer lay claim to it under Articles 2 and 3 since 1998, makes the whole thing a little messy and silly. I think the North either has to be returned to us or else made independent in its own right to clear up some of the stupid phenomena that occur in its politics.

I think Michael D and Norris came across very well, and I even found a smidgeon of respect for Dana in there too. However on voting day, it will be Michael D as number one without question. The man is wiser (although perhaps also older) than all the other candidates put together and just seethes integrity - he's a politician I respected long before this race started despite knowing very little about him. He put some very fine points last night and is very much into the idea of Constitutional reform, something which I agree needs attention.

OK. You win the internet.

Fantastic rebuttal from our resident thanks whore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Deedsie wrote: »
    This is a thread about the next president of Ireland. The Presidents job... defend the constitution, (Dana wasn't just saying it for the cráic).

The naming of the state is part of the constitution. It is important, and some people do care an awful lot about Ireland. How she is run, honoured & respected on an international stage.

What a load of pretentious shoite.

I'm Irish and very proud of it. Couldn't care if we say Repubic of Ireland or Ireland. Either is fine and both are correct for me.

"How she is run, honoured & respected on an international stage."

So with our economy collapsing, IMF , unemployment etc not been a disgrace to the honour and respect of the country on international stage more than the country's constitutional title?

Do you think people abroad are wondering if their new emigrant neighbour is from Ireland or Republic of Ireland.

Finally majority of Europeans think we are British anyway and no nothing about this country so it's not as big an issue on the International stage as you think.

Its IMF zone code no. H o p e less.

Next time I'm abroad and someone asks me what part of Ireland I'm from I'll say IRELAND. North or South ? IRELAND.

The thought police in North Korea tell the population there is only one Korea. No such place as North Korea. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

sdeire wrote: »
    Not voting for McGuinness as to be honest, he clearly isn't in touch with the Irish people. Or certainly not with the ones who live in this jurisdiction. Whether we like it or not, he lives in and has represented a totally different jurisdiction in the past and I feel he just doesn't "fit in" as a public representative for the Republic. That we recognise the North as part of our own country in terms of citizenship and right to run for President, but no longer lay claim to it under Articles 2 and 3 since 1998, makes the whole thing a little messy and silly. I think the North either has to be returned to us or else made independent in its own right to clear up some of the stupid phenomena that occur in its politics.

This is part of what I was trying (poorly, admittedly) to express before everyone jumped on me for using the term "Irish Republic" in an off-handed manner.

He doesn't represent the people of this country, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

People with an actual interest in the State and it's history care. People fought and died for this.

Thanks for that valued information.

I care about my history and the state too, particularly law and order and the defenders of this state.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

murpho999 wrote: »
    What a load of pretentious shoite.

I'm Irish and very proud of it. Couldn't care if we say Repubic of Ireland or Ireland. Either is fine and both are correct for me.

"How she is run, honoured & respected on an international stage."

So with our economy collapsing, IMF , unemployment etc not been a disgrace to the honour and respect of the country on international stage more than the country's constitutional title?

Do you think people abroad are wondering if their new emigrant neighbour is from Ireland or Republic of Ireland.

Finally majority of Europeans think we are British anyway and no nothing about this country so it's not as big an issue on the International stage as you think.

I said its important to some Irish people how Ireland is perceived on an International stage. I never implied it was a big issue on the international stage, but it is important we are respected and honoured the same as every other sovereign nation.

The pretentious ****e comment was unnecessary. Its just my opinion, you are entitled to yours as I am mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You and a few others really need to read the GFA Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I care about my history and the state too, particularly law and order and the defenders of this state.

Does it bother you that the men who founded the state you care about didn't use law and order to achieve their aims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I think Michael D and Norris came across very well, and I even found a smidgeon of respect for Dana in there too. However on voting day, it will be Michael D as number one without question. The man is wiser (although perhaps also older) than all the other candidates put together and just seethes integrity - he's a politician I respected long before this race started despite knowing very little about him. He put some very fine points last night and is very much into the idea of Constitutional reform, something which I agree needs attention.

wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Without guerrilla warfare there would have been no partition, republic or free state or however people choose to refer to it, merely just a bigger united kingdom, MMG has been instrumental in bringing peace to the northern region of Ireland as has other nationalists and unionists, people who question his past should also question the men who signed the constitution of Ireland at the formation of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Its IMF zone code no. H o p e less.

Next time I'm abroad and someone asks me what part of Ireland I'm from I'll say IRELAND. North or South ? IRELAND.

The thought police in North Korea tell the population there is only one Korea. No such place as North Korea. ;)

lol. Republic of Ireland is best Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement