Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

K-9 wrote: »
    No, they had the democratic will of the majority behind them. Does it bother you that the Real IRA don't use law and order to achieve their aims?

Cheeses Christ!
    I knew there was a knowledge deficit on here, but this is getting ridiculous.

It's nearly better than Liam Byrne's 'I don't care where I find the high moral ground' answer

'Is Michael Collins standing for president'

:eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Yeah, they got an overwhelming mandate in 1918.

Oh ok, so as the mandate is what is important to you then the post-1918 IRA you approve of but you would condemn the 1916 members of the Easter Rising who were acting without a mandate from the people, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Oh ok, so as the mandate is what is important to you then the post-1918 IRA you approve of but you would condemn the 1916 members of the Easter Rising who were acting without a mandate from the people, yes?

A lot of people on here seem not to understand why they have Irish citizenship, all they have to do is look at the second last option on the poll to see how lucky they are to have a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Ah - the old "throw in a pathetic unfounded dig and then run off into the sunset when asked to back it up" tactic ?

Fair enough - I was due another entry to my ignore list anyway.

ah, learn a bit of history and fact and you will understand the conversation then.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

No-one claimed they were "the only ones" FFS! This lie is getting very tiresome.

As for many people not being equal - that's true - the innocent victims that were murdered were obviously the ones that McG & Co didn't view as "equal"

Are you not getting tired from that?

• Advertisement

gigino wrote: »
    He was also instrumental , as leader of the PIRA, in bringing much suffering to the people of Ireland and further afeild, over the course of 3 decades.

If a wifebeater stops beating his wife / family after 3 decades do you credit him with being a great homemaker / peacemaker ?

quick question - what contribution did you make to help yourself, your family and friends who were being tortured, burned out, treated like dirt during the troubles? Did you just make the abusers a cup of tea and to hell with your own people or oh wait, lemme see - were you even there?? Or were you even alive then??? :rolleyes:

No-one claimed they were "the only ones" FFS! This lie is getting very tiresome.

As for many people not being equal - that's true - the innocent victims that were murdered were obviously the ones that McG & Co didn't view as "equal"

and the laughter begins again. I love your posts, they amuse my day. :D:D you should be on stage really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

starryg wrote: »
    Allegations about Dana are that her brother sexually abused her niece (sister's daughter).WTF! http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Danas-brother-accused-of-molesting-sisters-child-131838148.html
    Pretty bad form for them to be publishing this at the height of an election campaign. A story, that may or may not have any substance, that is about a family member, not about Dana.

The media haven't covered themselves in glory during this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

dvpower wrote: »
    The media haven't covered themselves in glory during this campaign.

Since when have they ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I don't get it - whats the attraction in Micheal D Higgins? I don't mean his looks - its obvious he's a very handsome man but why is he the most popular? Enlighten me, please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

bigneacy wrote: »
    I don't get it - whats the attraction in Micheal D Higgins? I don't mean his looks - its obvious he's a very handsome man but why is he the most popular? Enlighten me, please.

Sex sells :eek:

beats me! he can't even turn his neck properly. :D and he has to stand on a box to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

beats me! he can't even turn his neck properly. :D and he has to stand on a box to be seen.

He reminds me of the kid from the yellow pages ad a little bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Cheeses Christ!
    I knew there was a knowledge deficit on here, but this is getting ridiculous.

It's nearly better than Liam Byrne's 'I don't care where I find the high moral ground' answer

'Is Michael Collins standing for president'

:eek::rolleyes:

I feel an Irish history for Dummies lecture coming on. Care to answer the question?

The mandate is important as it's what the majority of people wanted. It can be argued that there were no fair elections pre 1918.

Do you agree with the Real IRA's actions?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I feel an Irish history for Dummies lecture coming on. Care to answer the question?

The mandate is important as it's what the majority of people wanted. It can be argued that there were no fair elections pre 1918.

The 1918 general election is a bit of a farce. As if that election was going to change anything in Ulster. I don't think such a large amount of Unionists was going to just accept a United Ireland.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The 1918 general election is a bit of a farce. As if that election was going to change anything in Ulster. I don't think such a large amount of Unionists was going to just accept a United Ireland.

Hence Northern Ireland.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

And do you think there were fair elections in Northern Ireland in the 1970s?

No I don't.

And do you think there were fair elections in Northern Ireland in the 1970s?

After gerrymandering was ended, yes. Woman and people over 18 could vote and Nationalists voted for the SDLP in huge numbers.

No I don't.

Interesting, I see the same arguments to justify their campaign as McGuinness apologists use here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

KeithAFC wrote: »

How was that election a farce ? Was it because the result did not sit well with unionists ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I see Martin McGuinness brought his posse of hoodlums in to intimidate poor old Miriam O'C after the debate on RTE. He couldnt hack a few straight forward questions.

I'm sure its not the first time he has 'intimidated' someone like this. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Anyone else sick of the constant endless arguments on the subject of MMCG?

Fishooks12 wrote: »

No, i love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Most of the rest of the candidates have a dodgy past or skeletons in the closet. What need is a safe pair of stable hands for the Presidency, not someone that is going cause controversy or embarrassment to the country down the road. Middle class voters wont have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think that 'little talk' with Miriam has well & truly put those people off who may have been thinking about voting for him.
    The real money is on Michael D Higgins, with Sean Gallagher, David Norris & Gay Mitchell in the mash up :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ya, I find it head wrecking! Just give it a rest people, he has a right to run.

What's behind it is the irrational fear that some people have of seeing Martin McGuinness as President of Ireland and what that means to their comfy isolated perception of the troubles.

So, they come up with endless pathetic negative campaigning and smear tactics such as above. It's basically political troll-ishness in my view.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think that 'little talk' with Miriam has well & truly put those people off who may have been thinking about voting for him.
    The real money is on Michael D Higgins, with Sean Gallagher, David Norris & Gay Mitchell in the mash up :))

You repeatedly write Martin McGuinness out of this race but the polls simply do not tie with this taillored version of reality you keep pushing. It's getting tiresome at this stage.

Face facts Martin McGuinness is a serious contender in this race. Build a bridge & get over it ffs.

Nothing like ganging up on a woman on her own though because the big bad terrorist cant handle a few rough questions. Had to rope in a few of his head banger cronies too. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Norris or Mitchell won't be anywhere near the mix-up

It will come down to Higgins and Gallagher with Higgins emerging comfortable winner.

This election, for all intents and purposes, is a run race.

• Advertisement

Norris or Mitchell won't be anywhere near the mix-up

It will come down to Higgins and Gallagher with Higgins emerging comfortable winner.

This election, for all intents and purposes, is a run race.

Cant see anything other then a Michael D win. He's the best of a very bad lot.

It has turned out to be a total freak show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement