Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think that 'little talk' with Miriam has well & truly put those people off who may have been thinking about voting for him.
    The real money is on Michael D Higgins, with Sean Gallagher, David Norris & Gay Mitchell in the mash up :))

Miriam and her producer deserved a talking to.
    Happens all the time in the media btw. Nothing unusual about a candidate looking for fair treatment.
    But of course McG is the bogeyman, how easy to depict him as threatening violence.
    Is Miriam claiming that he threatened her???? If so...source please.
    Cheap shot is a cheap shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Morlar wrote: »
    What's behind it is the irrational fear that some people have of seeing Martin McGuinness as President of Ireland and what that means to their comfy isolated perception of the troubles.

The comfy isolated perception of the troubles :rolleyes: What, you mean like Bus Bombs, Car Bombs, Booby trap Bombs, Pub Bombings, and any other type of Bomb you happen to mention!!! The PIRA planted Bombs which blew people to little pieces, and then they shot people too. Martin McGuinness was part of that machine which is why most people will NOT be voting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Nothing like ganging up on a woman on her own though because the big bad terrorist cant handle a few rough questions. Had to rope in a few of his head banger cronies too. :rolleyes:

Do you work for the Indo? If not I reckon you should throw in a CV, you would be well suited to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Cant see anything other then a Michael D win. He's the best of a very bad lot.

It has turned out to be a total freak show.

Exactly. And for all the talk and scadal about Norris, MMCG and Dana, none of them really stand a chance (MMCG might have a slim shout but hardly given he won't get more transfers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

LordSutch wrote: »
    The comfy isolated perception of the troubles :rolleyes

So, you ignoring the reply I made to your post . . . . . . . that means it's safe to say you do finally accept Martin McGuinness is a serious contender in this presidential election ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Miriam and her producer deserved a talking to.
    Happens all the time in the media btw. Nothing unusual about a candidate looking for fair treatment.
    But of course McG is the bogeyman, how easy to depict him as threatening violence.
    Is Miriam claiming that he threatened her???? If so...source please.
    Cheap shot is a cheap shot.

McGuinness supporters moaning about cheap shots!

Thread has definitely run its course if that's where we are at!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Do you work for the Indo? If not I reckon you should throw in a CV, you would be well suited to them.

like him or loath him MMCG was unfairly singled out during the debate and it wasn't fair, if the same thing happened to Norris there would be uproar

(bare in mind that I wouldn't dream of voting for MMCG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I should report that post for abuse. :rolleyes: I dont need a job btw, i'm gainfully employed in this country. ;)
    Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Exactly. And for all the talk and scadal about Norris, MMCG and Dana, none of them really stand a chance (MMCG might have a slim shout but hardly given he won't get more transfers)
    The whole thing has been a disgusting affair. The amount of mud slinging has turned it into a total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Its very funny to watch the panic that is setting in, in the media especially, at the fact that Martin McGuinness is doing so well in the polls for president. How DARE HE be up there in first/second slot as a favourite. Even more funny is their desperation in trying to belittle him with any old claptrap thrown at him. And he's STILL up there in the top two for president (the other one being Michael D Higgins which, if you notice the media have not given a hard time to in any way shape or form). They and their sheeple must be SH*TTING themselves. All their attacks are actually making him more popular. :D:D They don't need someone in that will "rock the boat" and highlight what is really going on.

Its about time this country woke up anyway, and voted for someone with a bit of principal, instead of the run of the mill cliched pocket lining me'feiners that has been laughing all the way to the bank for the last few years.

Maybe the country is waking up at last.

The whole thing has been a disgusting affair. The amount of mud slinging has turned it into a total farce.

I had a feeling it would happen. With no real policy to debate it was always going to come down to dirty tricks

• Advertisement

I should report that post for abuse. :rolleyes

Considering you yourself have done nothing so far today on this thread except sling mud in Martin McGuinness' direction, that's a bit rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Nothing like ganging up on a woman on her own though because the big bad terrorist cant handle a few rough questions. Had to rope in a few of his head banger cronies too. :rolleyes:

Here we go with the ganging up on a Woman sh*te. That woman is on 300k a year with the tax payer forking out a lot of that.

MOC's line if questioning was completely out of order. Race or Religion ect should not have came into the election debate.

Discussing the candidates strengths and what they bring to the table rather than their religious beliefs is what the order of the day was. But that wouldn't make great TV or sell Newspapers.

Why wasn't Norris asked about being a queen?

Or Sean Gallagher about his wonky eyes?

Because it doesn't fit into the RTE'S agenda.

<deleted post snipped>

Not a Dana supporter, but isn't Gay Mitchell related to the master criminal the Penguin ?

Does that really affect the candidates abilties for the role ?

I don't think it would affect Mitchells abilities nor would this story affect Dana's. I think in american custody battles allegations of sexual abuse are frequently made and not quite so frequently are they built on substance. It's seems to be a legal tactic in such cases.

She never had a hope of getting elected imo but it'd be a shame to see her go out on these unproven allegations about a relative.

Its very funny to watch the panic that is setting in, in the media especially, at the fact that Martin McGuinness is doing so well in the polls for president. How DARE HE be up there in first/second slot as a favourite. Even more funny is their desperation in trying to belittle him with any old claptrap thrown at him. And he's STILL up there in the top two for president (the other one being Michael D Higgins which, if you notice the media have not given a hard time to in any way shape or form). They and their sheeple must be SH*TTING themselves. All their attacks are actually making him more popular. :D:D They don't need someone in that will "rock the boat" and highlight what is really going on.

Its about time this country woke up anyway, and voted for someone with a bit of principal, instead of the run of the mill cliched pocket lining me'feiners that has been laughing all the way to the bank for the last few years.

Maybe the country is waking up at last.

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

K-9 wrote: »
    McGuinness supporters moaning about cheap shots!

Thread has definitely run its course if that's where we are at!

So you can't find any Miriam quotes saying he used threats of violence?

He was, by dint of his candidature, entitled to fair treatment. He didn't receive that. He was fully entitled to complain considering that there will be another debate on Monday in RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Morlar wrote: »
    Considering you yourself have done nothing so far today on this thread except sling mud in Martin McGuinness' direction, that's a bit rich.

Huh?? The woman was 'visibly shaken' after the little discussion she had with McGuinness. Sounds to me like he couldnt handle questions he should at the very least have been expecting to be asked at some stage.

Or should we not go there because its all in the past now and ah shure he'll be grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bullshit. He spoke to Miriam alone, after she said she didn't want to be accompanied by any of her colleagues. Where exactly are you getting your 'facts'?

And he was absolutely right to confront her too.. the dozy bint. She was far from the impartial and unbiased moderator that one would expect in such a debate. No doubt she felt that the ivory tower in Montrose would be enough to protect her from criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

MOC's line if questioning was completely out of order. Race or Religion ect should not have came into the election debate.
    I thought it was reasonable to bring up religion to Dana because she had suggested previously that she might be swayed by her religious beliefs in deciding to refer bills to the SC.
    The issue of the religious nature of the presidential oath is also obviously relevant.

Was race brought into it?

Norris: Letters scandal was the killer blow in his campaign, then shot himself in the foot with his shameless re-entry to the race that smacked of ego.

Gallagher: FF ties and lack of political experience will eventually be his downfall despite probably having run the best campaign

Dana: Clown, bible bashing hypocrite who swore off allegiance to our country when getting US citizenship. Tried to get the sympathy vote this week and it backfired spectacularly. Hasn't a hope.

MMCG: Done great things for the peace process in NI but his past will keep him from being a realistic contender, not transfer friendly.

Mitchell: The fact that he's a boring ****er is probably not helped by the fact that his campaign was based on dirty tricks and cheap shots

Mary Davis: the revealing of her large salaries while working for charity hasn't helped. Nor the airbrushed photos. Could have been a real contender if she had seized the chance in the live debates like Gallagher

Michael D: Will become the next president of Ireland because he's the safest bet, not controversy and will do the job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Glad to see Dana is a fan favorite as usual :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ya, I find it head wrecking! Just give it a rest people, he has a right to run.

On the run you say?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Huh?? The woman was 'visibly shaken' after the little discussion she had with McGuinness. Sounds to me like he couldnt handle questions he should at the very least have been expecting to be asked at some stage.

Or should we not go there because its all in the past now and ah shure he'll be grand?
    Martin Mcguinness enters the race to become the president of the Republic Of Ireland and as an ex PIRA commander, he struggles to answer questions on his involvement in the PIRA and doesn't like it.

I think the best piece of advice I could give to the RTE presenters and other presenters is to keep at it. Don't let him dictate the line of questioning.

And the same should be for David Norris and the letters but David Norris has also had to put up questioning too. I don't see too many people defending David Norris and saying he should not have these questions asked of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Happyman42 wrote: »
    So you can't find any Miriam quotes saying he used threats of violence?

He was, by dint of his candidature, entitled to fair treatment. He didn't receive that. He was fully entitled to complain considering that there will be another debate on Monday in RTE.

Define "fair" ?

If McG had the guts to actually admit what he has done in the past and actually answer some of the questions he has been asked he wouldn't be getting the grilling he's crying about now. His continuous lying and refusal to account for his activities, past and present, will render him fair game for any line of questioning.

It's laughable to hear him complain about "trial by media". This from a man whose organisation, of which he was commander, decided so many people had no right to live. Maybe he wants more kangaroo courts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Bullshit. He spoke to Miriam alone, after she said she didn't want to be accompanied by any of her colleagues. Where exactly are you getting your 'facts'?

And he was absolutely right to confront her too.. the dozy bint. She was far from the impartial and unbiased moderator that one would expect in such a debate. No doubt she felt that the ivory tower in Montrose would be enough to protect her from criticism.
    Eamon Dunphy said he would be voting for Martin Mcguinness. A few days later, Eamon Dunphy is chairing a debate between Martin Mcguinness and Gay Mitchell. I don't think that is impartiality and some one else should have chaired it. I didn't see too many people complain about it though.

a typical bully tactic on MOC"s part. Target and Sling mud at someone, don't even bother waiting for an answer to her "questions", refer to the person as "HIM" instead of his name, and then start crying when she is told she was being unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

dvpower wrote: »
    I thought it was reasonable to bring up religion to Dana because she had suggested previously that she might be swayed by her religious beliefs in deciding to refer bills to the SC.
    The issue of the religious nature of the presidential oath is also obviously relevant.

Was race brought into it?

No race was never brought into it, I never said it was. But those kind of area's should not be brought into it.

They are irrelevant in my opinion.

The hacks are trying to outdo each other with outrageous line of questioning rather than chairing the debate.

I would absolutely love to see MMG to win the election after all of this.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy said he would be voting for Martin Mcguinness. A few days later, Eamon Dunphy is chairing a debate between Martin Mcguinness and Gay Mitchell. I don't think that is impartiality and some one else should have chaired it. I didn't see too many people complain about it though.

Dunphy works for Newstalk, a private company

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Michael D: Will become the next president of Ireland because he's the safest bet, not controversy and will do the job well.

I am not so convinced. Have you heard his '****' rant ? He seems all calm and rational but that's just until he gets going. The unfortunate thing about the irrational fears of a Martin McGuinness presidency and all the mudslinging in his direction is that Michael D is basically getting a free ride. We could just end up with a president who surfed his way to office on a wave of anti-McGuinness media speculation, with no actual analysis of Higgins pro's and con's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Don't forget the clincher biased question put to the other six candidates - 'Do you think Martin McGuinness is suitable to be President?'
    I've never heard such a shítty, loaded, biased question being put to candidates running for a politcial office anywhere by a supposedly impartial moderator on what's supposed to be a public broadcasting service channel!

Forget any antipathy to McGuinness for a millisecond - O'Callaghan was completely out of line.
    God knows why she was chosen to be moderator, her colleague Richard Crowley is a rottweiler and has at least a modicum of intelligence and nous to know he's not there to be the mouthpiece of the State.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Martin Mcguinness enters the race to become the president of the Republic Of Ireland and as an ex PIRA commander, he struggles to answer questions on his involvement in the PIRA and doesn't like it.

I think the best piece of advice I could give to the RTE presenters and other presenters is to keep at it. Don't let him dictate the line of questioning.

And the same should be for David Norris and the letters but David Norris has also had to put up questioning too. I don't see too many people defending David Norris and saying he should not have these questions asked of him.

MMc is a very capable person and has no problem with any questions asked from him. However, when it is blatently obvious that the answers are not listened to or ignored in favour of constant attack, it throws what should be a fair question and answer session (for all 7 people, not just 1) into a circus. I'm glad to say tho, that the general public are seeing what exactly is going on, and have kept Martin way up in the polls at number 2.

RTE are playing the same game as gay mitchell - throw dirt and it will work - well sorry, it won't - people don't believe these crowd anymore - hence Martin being a fore runner - so in fact they are doing him a favour. :D:D

At the end of the day, his popularity is coming from SOMEWHERE - if he really was as bad as MOC and the other media lackeys are saying he wouldn't even have gotten nominated.

I do believe we have woken up. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement