Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

No race was never brought into it, I never said it was.
    Well, you did say it was. Maybe you meant that race should not come into it, not that should not have came into it?
    Race or Religion ect should not have came into the election debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Bullshit. He spoke to Miriam alone, after she said she didn't want to be accompanied by any of her colleagues. Where exactly are you getting your 'facts'?

And he was absolutely right to confront her too.. the dozy bint. She was far from the impartial and unbiased moderator that one would expect in such a debate. No doubt she felt that the ivory tower in Montrose would be enough to protect her from criticism.

I dont want facts to get in the way of a good rant man! For jaysus sakes!!

I wish this whole dreadful affair would fcuk off and let all the political pinheads fcuk off back down what ever hole they crawled out of.

Its a pile of steaming piss!

What i dislilke the most about the whole affair is the pathetic posturing on ALL sides of the people involved. All the candidates are veritable freak shows. I particularly enjoy the defensiveness of the Shinners, for fcuks sakes, get over yourselves. I always have a smile on my face when i see their shrieking posts on these hallowed pages. ;)

The position itself is a total farce and should be abolished. We may as well have a fcuking monarchy as have a president. Their executive powers in relation to passing legislation is pointless and they are a drain on the states funds. We should only have on figure head representing the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

MMc is a very capable person and has no problem with any questions asked from him. However, when it is blatently obvious that the answers are not listened to or ignored in favour of constant attack, it throws what should be a fair question and answer session (for all 7 people, not just 1) into a circus. I'm glad to say tho, that the general public are seeing what exactly is going on, and have kept Martin way up in the polls at number 2.

RTE are playing the same game as gay mitchell - throw dirt and it will work - well sorry, it won't - people don't believe these crowd anymore - hence Martin being a fore runner - so in fact they are doing him a favour. :D:D

At the end of the day, his popularity is coming from SOMEWHERE - if he really was as bad as MOC and the other media lackeys are saying he wouldn't even have gotten nominated.

I do believe we have woken up. :D
    Well he obviously does. He would not have taken the woman to the side after the show and complain about it. Most ex paramilitaries would not complain about the questioning. But for some reason it seems to really annoy Martin Mcguinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Why anyone would vote for the likes of Martin McGuinnes is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

gambiaman wrote: »
    Don't forget the clincher biased question put to the other six candidates - 'Do you think Martin McGuinness is suitable to be President?'
    I've never heard such a ****ty, loaded, biased question being put to candidates running for a politcial office anywhere by a supposedly impartial moderator on what's supposed to be a public broadcasting service channel!

Forget any antipathy to McGuinness for a millisecond - O'Callaghan was completely out of line.
    God knows why she was chosen to be moderator, her colleague Richard Crowley is a rottweiler and has at least a modicum of intelligence and nous to know he's not there to be the mouthpiece of the State.

Couldn't agree more. I'm voting Martin McGuinness, but it has nothing to do with my opinion on asking this question.

If the baby machine asked Sean Gallagher would Dana be a suitable president I would have thought the question outrageous also.

Suitable questions for example to Sean Gallagher would be:

What will make you a good president Sean?

IN todays Ireland How will you represent the Irish People?

You say you will create jobs, how will you do that as president?

You promise to visit every secondry school in the country, at who's expense will that be, and what good will come of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Morlar wrote: »
    I am not so convinced. Have you heard his '****' rant ? He seems all calm and rational but that's just until he gets going. The unfortunate thing about the irrational fears of a Martin McGuinness presidency and all the mudslinging in his direction is that Michael D is basically getting a free ride. We could just end up with a president who surfed his way to office on a wave of anti-McGuinness media speculation, with no actual analysis of Higgins pro's and con's.

agreed - michael d may as well not show up, or sit down on his little foot box and have some afternoon tea and read poetry while these debates are going on. He has hardly been asked a question let alone challenged. the media want michael d in - they will refuse to target him, instead focusing their attention on the next person in line in the polls - MMG - therefore swaying the people to vote MDH. We will be left with a potato mouthed poetry reading head in the clouds waffler basically. I'd rather someone with a backbone who will tell it how it is. but rte doesn't want it to be told like it is - they may have to take a cut or lose their cushy numbers.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The position itself is a total farce and should be abolished. We may as well have a fcuking monarchy as have a president. Their executive powers in relation to passing legislation is pointless and they are a drain on the states funds. We should only have on figure head representing the state.

Nobody is getting rid of the office this time round, but on the basis of the above objection you should be voting for McGuinness, he will cost less.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    So you can't find any Miriam quotes saying he used threats of violence?

He was, by dint of his candidature, entitled to fair treatment. He didn't receive that. He was fully entitled to complain considering that there will be another debate on Monday in RTE.

Why are you asking me that?

Never mentioned it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Well he obviously does. He would not have taken the woman to the side after the show and complain about it. Most ex paramilitaries would not complain about the questioning. But for some reason it seems to really annoy Martin Mcguinness.

you obviously did not watch the show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A "potato mouthed poetry reading head in the clouds waffler" is arguably more suitable as a president than someone who "tells it like it is". The president should not act in opposition to the Dail or otherwise interfere with the Oireachtas, it's not their place.

If you want someone to "tell it like it is", then you want them in the Dáil, where such actions are permitted, and not in the Aras where they'll have to keep their mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I dont want facts to get in the way of a good rant man! For jaysus sakes!!

I wish this whole dreadful affair would fcuk off and let all the political pinheads fcuk off back down what ever hole they crawled out of.

Its a pile of steaming piss!

What i dislilke the most about the whole affair is the pathetic posturing on ALL sides of the people involved. All the candidates are veritable freak shows. I particularly enjoy the defensiveness of the Shinners, for fcuks sakes, get over yourselves. I always have a smile on my face when i see their shrieking posts on these hallowed pages. ;)

I wish it was over too, and agree that it's a mostly pointless role. It just pisses me off that gutter journalism becomes the mainstay of the masses for the duration of the whole thing. It says more about the public than anything else.. people are all to happy to slurp up the drivel being sold to them. Bunch of window-licking fools!

O'Callaghan was desperate the other night, RTE is supposed to be more impartial than an independent or fully commercial broadcaster.. you don't need to be a SF supporter to see that. She was (rightly) called out on it and now that is being used as a stick to beat SF with, and spun into yet another bull**** story which the papers are using to help sell their wares to the dribbling plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

py2006 wrote: »
    Why anyone would vote for the likes of Martin McGuinnes is beyond me!

Well indeed, but of course its a given that Sinn Fein & IRA sympathisers will vote for McGuinness in their droves, so its just a matter of how many innocent young people (who don't remember the PIRA carnage), and the 'waverers' who may, or may not be swayed by the McGuinness propaganda machine.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Nobody is getting rid of the office this time round, but on the basis of the above objection you should be voting for McGuinness, he will cost less.
    Absolutely not. And give political creedence of any form to Sinn Fein? Are you aware of their economic policies? That would be my main reason for opposing McGuinness. I wouldnt let them run a model railway!

If they were to get into power in this country it would be a disaster, but thats another days argument for the coneheads in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They don't need someone in that will "rock the boat" and highlight what is really going on.

McGuinness will rock the boat and highlight what is really going on? Really?

The adulation he gets reminds me of Obama! People will be in for a big let down if he gets in.

Now the conspiracy theories about the meeja, suppose he wouldn't be a Shinner without a persecution complex.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I wish it was over too, and agree that it's a mostly pointless role. It just pisses me off that gutter journalism becomes the mainstay of the masses for the duration of the whole thing. It says more about the public than anything else.. people are all to happy to slurp up the drivel being sold to them. Bunch of window-licking fools!

O'Callaghan was desperate the other night, RTE is supposed to be more impartial than an independent or fully commercial broadcaster.. you don't need to be a SF supporter to see that. She was (rightly) called out on it and now that is being used as a stick to beat SF with, and spun into yet another bull**** story which the papers are using to help sell their wares to the dribbling plebs.

Too true. We should just vote in an inanimate rod. The whole thing is really disgusting.

I enjoy the self righteousness of the Sinn Fein crowd though. It floats my boat in a kinky kind of way. I'm sitting here with clothes pegs on my nipples waiting for another self pompous post so i can flaggelate myself furiously. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Absolutely not. And give political creedence of any form to Sinn Fein? Are you aware of their economic policies? That would be my main reason for opposing McGuinness. I wouldnt let them run a model railway!

If they were to get into power in this country it would be a disaster, but thats another days argument for the coneheads in here.

Except the office of the President of Ireland does not in any concievable way shape or form set or steer economic policy.

It doesnt affect the course of Irish economic policy by even a single nanometre.

Except the office of the President of Ireland does not in any concievable way shape or form set or steer economic policy.

It doesnt affect the course of Irish economic policy by even a single nanometre.

And that is what i said in the post.

Are you acknowledging that Sinn Feins economic policies are totally off the wall?

I'm sitting here with clothes pegs on my nipples waiting for another self pompous post so i can flaggelate myself furiously. :D

Credibility at an all time high there, darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

And that is what i said in the post.

Are you acknowledging that Sinn Feins economic policies are totally off the wall?

What has Sinn Fein got to do with any of this?

Or Sinn Fein's economic policies for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm voting mcguiness. The only man who will stand up for the little man and not be bought by the big wigs in society

Or Sinn Fein's economic policies for that matter.

Is McGuinness representing the Monster Raving Lunatic Party?

seamus wrote: »
    A "potato mouthed poetry reading head in the clouds waffler" is arguably more suitable as a president than someone who "tells it like it is". The president should not act in opposition to the Dail or otherwise interfere with the Oireachtas, it's not their place.

If you want someone to "tell it like it is", then you want them in the Dáil, where such actions are permitted, and not in the Aras where they'll have to keep their mouth shut.

he can "highlight" it how it is. But then again people were "highlighting" how it was over the last few years everybody laughed and one FF person, now who was that, actually said something along the lines of "why don't all these negative people just go and commit suicide". But hey, why should we vote for someone who will tell us like it is, when we can vote for someone who wont' bother to tell us anything. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Martin McGuinness is far to divisive for the Presidency. I'm sure even SF supporters can see that someone who repulses a large proportion of Irish people isn't suitable.

Another SF candidate not directly implicated with terrorism might have had a better chance, perhaps next time round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Weren't some people saying only a few pages back we should "move on" and examine their policies as well?

Is MMG not Sinn Fein's represetative? As such, should we not be looking at their policies based on the idea of looking at what MMG will be working towards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

you obviously did not watch the show :rolleyes:
    I did watch it and it amazes me that some people are "upset" about the line of questioning. Most of them don't have the sort of past Martin Mcguinness has and only David Norris has any real controversy about him.

If the boot was on the other foot and say some one from the other side of the conflict was running and had taken part in the Dublin and Monaghan bombing, surely that person would be getting constant questions?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well indeed, but of course its a given that Sinn Fein & IRA sympathisers will vote for McGuinness in their droves, so its just a matter of how many innocent young people (who don't remember the PIRA carnage), and the 'waverers' who may, or may not be swayed by the McGuinness propaganda machine.

or they probably wont' remember that it was FF that provided was it £50,000 to buy guns up the north to arm them. :D Seems like a lot of eejits forgot about that in their haste to lick FF ar*se. :D:D selective memory? doesn't blend into your mindset? Get the facts and then decide. ;)

Too true. We should just vote in an inanimate rod. The whole thing is really disgusting.

I enjoy the self righteousness of the Sinn Fein crowd though. It floats my boat in a kinky kind of way. I'm sitting here with clothes pegs on my nipples waiting for another self pompous post so i can flaggelate myself furiously. :D

that's pretty stupid - I bet you are voting for Dana. :D

Is McGuinness representing the Monster Raving Lunatic Party?

If you are unwilling to answer a clear honest straight question then I will answer it for you.

Everyone reading this knows you are simply mudslinging against McGuinness.

Desperately clutching at straws in the process.

First today we had your nonsense repeated spurious allegations that McGuinness intimidated MOC. Now when that didn't work you progress to trying to make a non exsistent connection between the President of Ireland and Irish State Economic policy.

Knowing full well there is no connection.

The reason you try to do this is because you think SF economic policy would not sit well with voters and may damage M.McGuiness's chances.

What's behind all of this is either your

a ) sincere but irrational fear of Martin Mcguiness being President
    or
    b ) 'at all costs' anti-republican outlook (of the Eoghan Harris and Myers strain)

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Martin McGuinness is far to divisive for the Presidency. I'm sure even SF supporters can see that someone who repulses a large proportion of Irish people isn't suitable.

Another SF candidate not directly implicated with terrorism might have had a better chance, perhaps next time round.

if he repulsed a large proportion of Irish people he wouldn't be number 2 in the polls now would he - apply some logic please. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement