Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Back when Norris was being torn apart by the media, people defending him were laughed at and told "lololol go to the conspiracy boards lolololol" when they came out with this nonsense about bias media. Now it's MMG's turn to feel the rough end of the media, it's "OMG HOW DARE THEY!"

Newsflash; people running the media are as entitled to their opinions as the individual and obviously people in certain aspects of the media have the same reservations about MMG as many individuals. That's the nature of having a man-run media within a country which has freedom of speech.

To quote the IRA apologists, "Get over it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Sorry, I got the most tremendous image in my head at that point :D

No, maybe he'd lick the biscuits beforehand, but arsenic? Not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

But dont we have ambassadors to other countries? Surely they can fulfill that role?

They are completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

They havent gone away you know. :pac:

billybudd wrote: »
    They are completely different.

What is the function of having ambassadors in other countries then??

Not withstanding that, i believe the role and function of the presidents position should be abolished. Its just another example of the excesses within the political system in the state.

The Taoiseach is the man who 'should' be giving the country direction and be the figurehead through which everything is channeled. The dichotomy between the two is plain ridiculous in my eyes.

Dont get me started on the bleedin' Seanad! Wha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Morlar wrote: »
    To give you an example a few weeks ago someone posted a you tube clip of higgins on an anti-american rant, it sounded like he was literally foaming at the mouth. He ended it with 'the ****!!!' spat out with a vengance you don't see every day.

LOL.

Wasn't that an anti-Michael Graham rant on Newstalk?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    LOL.

I am not actually sure, heard it once and have not been able to find it since then.

What is the function of having ambassadors in other countries then??

Not withstanding that, i believe the role and function of the presidents position should be abolished. Its just another example of the excesses within the political system in the state.

The Taoiseach is the man who 'should' be giving the country direction and be the figurehead through which everything is channeled. The dichotomy between the two is plain ridiculous in my eyes.

Dont get me started on the bleedin' Seanad! Wha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassador

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Back when Norris was being torn apart by the media, people defending him were laughed at and told "lololol go to the conspiracy boards lolololol" when they came out with this nonsense about bias media. Now it's MMG's turn to feel the rough end of the media, it's "OMG HOW DARE THEY!"

Newsflash; people running the media are as entitled to their opinions as the individual and obviously people in certain aspects of the media have the same reservations about MMG as many individuals. That's the nature of having a man-run media within a country which has freedom of speech.

RTE however in a presidential debate are supposed to be impartial.

But this is nothing new, the "Irish" media have always bee decidedly anti republican.

Stickies sure can hold a grudge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Personally, I think it is clear that they do. Norris also had an easy ride, now he's essentially fell off his barstool, Michael D is next and sole remaining non McGuinness contender. Can you post a link to a single mainstream media article which was negative about Michael D ? Even one which was critical of him ? I honestly can not recall a single one.

Even if you can post one or two the vast, overwhelming balance of the rest of the media coverage would indicate the simple undeniable fact that he has been given an extraordinarily free ride in terms of media scrutiny throughout this election.

I disagree that Norris had an easy ride, with lots of spurious stories in the media, some with no basis whatsoever. He deservedly got a hard time over the letters and his numbers have collapsed because of the issue.

McGuinness has had a hard time, but understandably so, given his IRA past.

Michael D has had an easy ride so far. Maybe because there just isn't too much controversy about him (he called some American right winger a 'wánker' - big deal.) and he seems to be well able to deal with the questions he is asked.

• Advertisement

LOL.

It was.

If this is the worst of the 'dirt' they can drag up on Michael D, then I think we can start installing the orange boxes in the Áras

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

LOL.

Yeah that's right, they were arguing about Israel and Palestine and Mickey D lost the rag totally with Graham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

http://youtu.be/FOxKnsT-XZg

Michael D not very presidential here :D

I am not actually sure, heard it once and have not been able to find it since then.
    Someone posted it on this thread - I thought it was you. They've played it a few times over the last couple of weeks on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You're not sure, but you're labelling it an anti-American rant anyway?

dvpower wrote: »
    I disagree that Norris had an easy ride, with lots of spurious stories in the media, some with no basis whatsoever. He deservedly got a hard time over the letters and his numbers have collapsed because of the issue.

McGuinness has had a hard time, but understandably so, given his IRA past.

Michael D has had an easy ride so far. Maybe because there just isn't too much controversy about him (he called some American right winger a 'wánker' - big deal.) and he seems to be well able to deal with the questions he is asked.

Agree mostly with this, I still think he has been more harshly treated than most, Norris should not have re-entered it will damage whatever legacy he had.

I think MMG will bring a energy, persona and drive that has been missing for far to long from a president of this country, i understand the past but the future is more important.

billybudd wrote: »

Therefore replacing the functionality of the President?

The presidency only costs around €3m p/a (about a 1/4 of which is centenarian's bounties), which I think is pretty good value. I've heard some people comment, for example, that when there is a trade mission, having the President lead it puts bums on seats, where a minister alone couldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

Dana to make a statement on TV3 at 5.30 this evening re the serious allegations against her brother.

From what I recall of it - yes.

• Advertisement

The presidency only costs around €3m p/a (about a 1/4 of which is centenarian's bounties), which I think is pretty good value. I've heard some people comment, for example, that when there is a trade mission, having the President lead it puts bums on seats, where a minister alone couldn't do.

It sounds like they have bounties on the heads of old fogies. :D

Where are you getting these figures? I'd be interested in the breakdown of this.

Where are you getting these figures? I'd be interested in the breakdown of this.
    Dept. of Finance 2011 Estimates
    http://budget.gov.ie/budgets/2011/Documents/Estimates%20Budget%202011.pdf

(I don't know if the breakdown is in that document Edit: Breakdown on Pg11)

Dept. of Finance 2011 Estimates
    http://budget.gov.ie/budgets/2011/Documents/Estimates%20Budget%202011.pdf

(I don't know if the breakdown is in that document Edit: Breakdown on Pg11)

Yeah, thats interesting. I dont know if i'm reading it properly but it seems to be saying that it will cost 3.1m euro this year roughly. I'd like to know the breakdown of that. It seems like a small figure, when you take into account international travel, make-up (thanks Bertie for putting that in my head) and all the other expenses incurred. Even heating the Aras you think would be a fairly steep auld bill.

Edit: Ah yeah, i see. Cheers, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, 4th to FF! Well done. ;)

or in other words.

Fianna Fail - DOWN 51 seats

Sinn Fein - UP 9 seats.

so yes, I agree, well done. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It was more a rant at Bush and supporting Obama and health care reform and anyway, if anybody listens to Graham.............................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yeah, thats interesting. I dont know if i'm reading it properly but it seems to be saying that it will cost 3.1m euro this year roughly. I'd like to know the breakdown of that. It seems like a small figure, when you take into account international travel, make-up (thanks Bertie for putting that in my head) and all the other expenses incurred. Even heating the Aras you think would be a fairly steep auld bill.

Nah, just tell the president to put on an extra couple of jumpers if it gets cold :P

Nah, just tell the president to put on an extra couple of jumpers if it gets cold :P

The Presidential Jumper. One is not amused. :D

Therefore replacing the functionality of the President?

Because the ambassodors are like baldricks to blackadder.

They do list the like of Travel & Subs, but I wouldn't be sure if Govt. jet time comes out of this. The cost of maintaining the Aras probably comes out of the OPW vote.
    It's very difficult to untangle these costs, because even if there was no president, we would still need to maintain the Aras. We would still have a Government jet, so the cost per hour for everyone else would go up etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

or in other words.

Fianna Fail - DOWN 51 seats

Sinn Fein - UP 9 seats.

so yes, I agree, well done. ;)

Sure they did well in 02, looked like they'd make a breakthrough and lost seats in 07, did terrible.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement