Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Na na na na na Dana. She could be out by 6. Shame really. She made Norris sound comparitively sane, made mithchel look less of a mammys boy and Gallagher looks less of a wierdo.

Lets face it without her it's going to put the spotlight even more on each of the other candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

billybudd wrote: »
    Because the ambassodors are like baldricks to blackadder.

They all have very cunning plans?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Presidential Jumper. One is not amused. :D
    President Higgins is found dead of hypothermia, because he couldn't afford the gas for his superser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

www.herald.ie/news/gallagher-said-ff-were-only-party-to-get-us-back-on-track-2906592.html

Gallagher says his FF mates are the only ones to get us back on track. Oh yeah. We'll all vote for you now. Ruining the country wasn't enough for them. They want a president to rub peoples noses in it too.

Cnut.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    RTE however in a presidential debate are supposed to be impartial.

But this is nothing new, the "Irish" media have always bee decidedly anti republican.

Cause hey! If someone disagrees, just imply they are Brit sympathisers. :rolleyes:

I asked this to Molar a few pages back this morning and it was ignored so I'll ask again.

We're not allowed discuss his past unless its in a positive way. We're not allowed question SF policies unless its in a positive way. What are we allowed to question him on? It strikes me that SF peeps just don't want any negative questions asked whatsoever and whenever anyone brings up legit problems, they get deflected into attacks on others and snide implications that the person isn't worth talking to. Heaven forbid people offer genuine answers to the problems that a majority of voters seem to have...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Cause hey! If someone disagrees, just imply they are Brit sympathisers. :rolleyes:

I asked this to Molar a few pages back this morning and it was ignored so I'll ask again.

We're not allowed discuss his past unless its in a positive way. We're not allowed question SF policies unless its in a positive way. What are we allowed to question him on? It strikes me that SF peeps just don't want any negative questions asked whatsoever and whenever anyone brings up legit problems, they get deflected into attacks on others and snide implications that the person isn't worth talking to. Heaven forbid people offer genuine answers to the problems that a majority of voters seem to have...

He has answered alot of questions from his past maybe he just wants more questions on the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

He doesn't seem to like discussing the past, yet he keeps banging on about the Good Friday Agreement and Ian Paisley. I think the point you made about questioning in a positive way is spot on.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He doesn't seem to like discussing the past, yet he keeps banging on about the Good Friday Agreement and Ian Paisley. I think the point you made about questioning in a positive way is spot on.

You wouldnt be bias woud you? :D

He has answered alot of questions from his past maybe he just wants more questions on the future.

But it was asked a few pages back what were his economic policies, for example, and what were the policies of his party. In other words, how does he and his party plan on making positive actions for the future of Ireland?

The answer? "Sure what does that have to do with the presidency position? let's move on!"

Move on, move on. There's this obsession with the future, but maybe thats because if we look at the past, there's things which hrut the campaign, and if we look at the present, we'll see the problems as they exist. If we just keep looking forward, we can ignore all those things that might actually have to be dealt with...

But it was asked a few pages back what were his economic policies, for example, and what were the policies of his party. In other words, how does he and his party plan on making positive actions for the future of Ireland?

The answer? "Sure what does that have to do with the presidency position? let's move on!"

Move on, move on. There's this obsession with the future, but maybe thats because if we look at the past, there's things which hrut the campaign, and if we look at the present, we'll see the problems as they exist. If we just keep looking forward, we can ignore all those things that might actually have to be dealt with...

But his policies and that of his party are in the open already?

• Advertisement

Of course they are. Which is why we should be discussing them instead of trying to "move past" them.

But again, people aren't interested in discussing criticisms of his policies or how they tend to be ones which sound great to the people but would fall flat if they actually had to be carried out.

The thing I find funny is I think both sides can agree MMG has gotten a tonne of media time out of this. He's had more opportunities than any other to get answers to these questions out there. But he doesn't answer them. He freaks, he resorts to cliche non-answers and he attacks the people who ask the questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Thats the one thing people dont focus on for the presidential campaign. Its a fairly important thing for SF in general to get in office and get their message across. Its not relevant for the other established parties i figure. Its all part of their masterplan for Dr Evil Adams to take over the wurld.

Muaha ha ha ha ha.

www.herald.ie/news/gallagher-said-ff-were-only-party-to-get-us-back-on-track-2906592.html

Gallagher says his FF mates are the only ones to get us back on track. Oh yeah. We'll all vote for you now. Ruining the country wasn't enough for them. They want a president to rub peoples noses in it too.

Cnut.
    What a dishonest headline.
    Herald wrote:
    Gallagher said FF were only party to get us back on track
    There is nothing in the text of the article that justifies that headline.

It is the sub editor at the Herald that is a cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

"I am from Northern Ireland, I'd like to vote but I can't!"

Why so specific? I'm Dutch, and I can't vote either. And I can't even pick an option here. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

rozeboosje wrote: »

Why so specific? I'm Dutch, and I can't vote either. And I can't even pick an option here. LOL

You see your own narrow demographic as equivalent to the million plus Irish people north of the border who can't vote in this election ? (I know population approx 1.7 mill ! !)

A vast number of whom consider themselves Irish citizens but who are not permitted to vote in this election ? You see a Dutch person in Ireland ilegible to vote as warranting equal footing in a poll option ? Really ?

*Sorry - that was a very humourless answer, I blame the incessant anti-McGuinness negative campaigning and general trollery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Stinicker wrote: »
    You are voting for Fianna Fail, turkeys voting for christmas and all that, Mary Davis is another Fianna Fail cronie and a few years in jail is what both of them deserve not votes!

No im voting for Gallagher to become PRESIDENT of IRELAND....

...dont know what the fuck you are sh1teing on about...this is a poll thread about the new president of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

dvpower wrote: »
    Here are the second preference figures from the Red C-Sunday Business Post poll from 25th September

Gay Mitchell 14%
    Michael D. Higgins 20%
    Sean Gallagher 14%
    Mary Davis 16%
    Martin McGuinness 8%
    David Norris 6%
    Dana Rosemary Scallon 7%

As it stands, MMcG would need to be a whole lot further ahead than Michael D in order to beat him with just 8% of second preferences.

Who actually gets polled for these Red C polls. I know no one who has ever been polled. EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I included the option for two reasons. Firstly, it was widely suggested MMcG success on these polls was down to posters from Northern Ireland.

Secondly, Northern Ireland has Approx 700000 nationalists. There is a growing opinion that the right to vote in Irish presidential elections should be extended to Northern Ireland and too recent Irish emigrants who are not registered to vote in the new country they reside in!

It is to be discussed in the constitutional conference in the spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Well eh, you are Dutch, not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Who actually gets polled for these Red C polls. I know no one who has ever been polled. EVER.

Just make them up I think.

They tend to be pretty accurate for elections, within the margin of error anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    How far up your arse did you have to dig to pull that one out? What an insult to the intelligence of our european neighbours.

"What a load of pretentious shoite" indeed...

Sorry I am late coming back to this one due to work, but I'm not pulling anything out of my arse.

I've lived abroad for a long time and am well travelled and in my opinion a lot of people in Europe know absolutely nothing about Ireland and an awful lot think we are British.

I spent half my time in The Netherlands telling people I was not English, or that Ireland was an independent republic and not part of Britain.
    In 2002 a lot didn't even know that Ireland was a member of the Euro.

This presidential election is not big on the International stage and not one person from Europe will be able to name a candidate and most will be oblivious to the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cashyboo5

K-9 wrote: »

Just make them up I think.

They tend to be pretty accurate for elections, within the margin of error anyway.

I was phoned by red c a few months back and the questions were all about who should the fine gael candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

I used to think it was all made up until I was phoned by them last year. Who I'd vote for if there was an election in the morning was the last question they asked. The rest was about mobile phone providers and ISPs and about 10 questions on gravy of all things. Know another lad at work as well that was called this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Morlar wrote: »
    I am not actually sure, heard it once and have not been able to find it since then.

The full 'debate' can be found here:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2010/programmes/all-programmes/the-right-hook/the-two-michaels/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

dvpower wrote: »
    It was.

If this is the worst of the 'dirt' they can drag up on Michael D, then I think we can start installing the orange boxes in the Áras
    raven136 wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/FOxKnsT-XZg

Michael D not very presidential here :D
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    You're not sure, but you're labelling it an anti-American rant anyway?
    It's not an anti-American rant, he describes America as "the country I was proud to work in". It's a rant against the hawks of the Tea Party and war-mongers generally and Graham in particular.

And it's been aired plenty, and I'd say for every Mrs. Rosary Beads who's thrown up her hands in horror and vowed not to vote for him, it's probably gained him two votes!! :pac:

Certainly, I played it for a few people the last night because it came up, and the reaction was pretty much "Jaysus, the auld man has a bit of life in him!! It's not all poetry and art then!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Cashyboo5 wrote: »
    I was phoned by red c a few months back and the questions were all about who should the fine gael candidate.

You registered to say that?/Your first post on boards is a lie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's not an anti-American rant, he describes America as "the country I was proud to work in". It's a rant against the hawks of the Tea Party and war-mongers generally and Graham in particular.

And it's been aired plenty, and I'd say for every Mrs. Rosary Beads who's thrown up her hands in horror and vowed not to vote for him, it's probably gained him two votes!! :pac:

Certainly, I played it for a few people the last night because it came up, and the reaction was pretty much "Jaysus, the auld man has a bit of life in him!! It's not all poetry and art then!!"

was that Michael D having a rant, there is life in the old dog yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

I like the way a lot of the media feed the public stuff like "Martin McG when confronted about his IRA past versus his religious beliefs..." lost the plot....When it was a case of him justifying murdering people versus his beliefs... as was asked.

It's all very subtle......

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    was that Michael D having a rant, there is life in the old dog yet.
    Thats what I thought - I don't see that clip as a negative at all.

Its a bit weird that a SF'er would think it unpresidential for a candidate to have used bad language :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement