Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

So I now know why Dana pulled out of the election. An accusation involving her brother.

Now I never would have voted for Dana even if I was held at gunpoint, but this type of journalism is a disgrace. What has the alleged sins of her brother got to do with her character.

It reminds me of the old testament biblical bollox about the sins of the father.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Isn't part of it that the brother is also the campaign manager and thus one of the people in charge of getting her into power?

Don't get me wrong, I dont think it should be overly held against her. Compared to others like Norris and MMG who were instrumental in the events people are holding against them, its not her fault. But thats what this campaign is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Isn't part of it that the brother is also the campaign manager and thus one of the people in charge of getting her into power?

Don't get me wrong, I dont think it should be overly held against her. Compared to others like Norris and MMG who were instrumental in the events people are holding against them, its not her fault. But thats what this campaign is now.

A mud slinging match Norris is a disgrace in that he did do and say those things not one of his siblings.

MMG I am not opposed to voting him, if he would just come out a say what he was, the dogs on the street know. But that was part of the peace process, we forgive them those sins and they only use the ballot box, they lived up to their end.

But Dana's brother, she sacks him and gets on with it and I still wont vote for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

4leto wrote: »
    So I now know why Dana pulled out of the election. An accusation involving her brother.

Now I never would have voted for Dana even if I was held at gunpoint, but this type of journalism is a disgrace. What has the alleged sins of her brother got to do with her character.

It reminds me of the old testament biblical bollox about the sins of the father.

But she hasn't pulled out. Not that it would make much difffernce anyway.

4leto wrote: »
    A mud slinging match Norris is a disgrace in that he did do and say those things not one of his siblings.

MMG I am not opposed to voting him, if he would just come out a say what he was, the dogs on the street know. But that was part of the peace process, we forgive them those sins and they only use the ballot box, they lived up to their end.

But Dana's brother, she sacks him and gets on with it and I still wont vote for her.

Norris did nothing but try and defend someone, and that was near two decades ago. Not defending what he did but what he did was defended someone and nothing else. How much contact has Norris had with the guy in recent years? Was the guy one of Norris' key campaign strategists?

Again, not defending Norris, but the Dana accusations are going to hurt her more because they are something more recent. I agree firing him from the campaign should nearly be enough but I also think she'd need to come out with a full damnation of her brother to go anywhere in the debate, cause thats what people would like out of Norris and MMG, what they won't offer and thus its held against them. The rules aren't different for Dana I guess...

As for MMG coming out and admitting it....Listen, I get he can't do that or he'll go to jail. I just wish people would stop being proud of the worst kept secret one moment and then trying to deny he did anything the next...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gallagher is clear favorite to become the next Irish President according to an opinion poll in tomorrow's papers
    • Sean Gallagher - 39
    • Michael D Higgins - 27
    • Martin McGuinness - 13
    • Gay Mitchell - 8
    • David Norris - 7
    • Mary Davis - 4
    • Dana Rosemary Scallon - 2

http://www.thejournal.ie/gallagher-storms-into-major-lead-in-latest-opinion-polls-254926-Oct2011/

Latest odds according to Paddy Power
    • Sean Gallagher - 1/2
    • Michael D.Higgins - 7/4
    • Martin McGuinness - 20/1
    • Gay Mitchell - 50/1
    • Mary Davis - 50/1
    • David Norris - 66/1
    • Dana Rosemary Scallon - 250/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Gallagher is clear favorite to become the next Irish President according to an opinion poll in tomorrow's papers

http://www.thejournal.ie/gallagher-storms-into-major-lead-in-latest-opinion-polls-254926-Oct2011/

The sleeping FF vote awakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Adi Roche factor ;)
    Widely tipped to win and do brilliantly on election day, never happened at all

And sure Brian Lenihan had the election sown up and won too.
    Until he didn't...

I wouldn't bet money on this race, way too unpredictable :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The poll was done between last Monday and Wednesday, before the RTE debate.
    An amazing poll result but I'd say he would have lost some ground since.

• Advertisement

Its still an interesting figure though. Wonder who their sample was though. Thats a huge percentage to be ahead by.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Latest odds according to Paddy Power
    • Sean Gallagher - 1/2
    • Michael D.Higgins - 7/4
    • Martin McGuinness - 20/1
    • Gay Mitchell - 50/1
    • Mary Davis - 50/1
    • David Norris - 66/1
    • Dana Rosemary Scallon - 250/1

11/8

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/other-politics/next-irish-president?ev_oc_grp_ids=33552

I think Micky D is good value at this stage.

Anyway, I'd pay more attention to betfair which has it closer.
    You can still get over evens on Gallagher if you fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, that's some change from the last ones!

Basically everybody lost support barring Gallagher and Higgins, Davis and Norris in particular. Surprised Higgins didn't gain more.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Has anyone any reservations about Michael D age? I know anyone can get sick etc but we don't want a president who cannot do stuff.
    I think he is the best person but I'm just worried that he is a bit old for the job.

He'll be grand.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    He'll be grand.

Seriously say he got sick and was in hospital for a long time what would happen, It's not like he has a second in command to take over.

No issues with Michael D's age.
    He's using Twitter like a mad thing and all over the country.

President of Galway United, used to be often down at the matches.
    He's very active and out and about in Galway
    Though Galway United these days are not something to be proud of :pac:

Sure Norris is just three years younger and I've don't remember reading posts about his age on boards.

And a TD for a large area of Galway has lots of places to go and campaigning to do, more then a Senator from Dublin who works in Dublin

Michael D has been active for decades, what more can he do to demonstrate it?

hondasam wrote: »
    Seriously say he got sick and was in hospital for a long time what would happen, It's not like he has a second in command to take over.

Take over from what? :pac:

^This, really.
    Its a figurehead position. If he got sick and died, the country wouldn't fall apart in the time it would take to run another election.

^This, really.
    Its a figurehead position. If he got sick and died, the country wouldn't fall apart in the time it would take to run another election.

I know that but if he got sick and was ill for a long time could he be replaced or would we have to wait until his term was up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

I'm sticking with Sean Gallagher - cue the barrage of hateful responses :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

SChique00 wrote: »
    I'm sticking with Sean Gallagher - cue the barrage of hateful responses :p

No. I think you right! I think he would make a great president at this time in Ireland.

There'd be a spare ticket for internationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

billybudd wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No-one claimed they were "the only ones" FFS! This lie is getting very tiresome.

As for many people not being equal - that's true - the innocent victims that were murdered were obviously the ones that McG & Co didn't view as "equal"

Are you not getting tired from that?

I'll stop when you explain why supporters of McGuinness keep on lying and pretending that people are saying that the IRA started the war.

By all means debate and refute what's said, but this making up crap is laughable.

I know that but if he got sick and was ill for a long time could he be replaced or would we have to wait until his term was up?

From the constitution -
    Article 14

In the event of the absence of the President, or his temporary incapacity, or his permanent incapacity established as provided by section 3 of Article 12 hereof, or in the event of his death, resignation, removal from office, or failure to exercise and perform the powers and functions of his office or any of them, or at any time at which the office of President may be vacant, the powers and functions conferred on the President by or under this Constitution shall be exercised and performed by a Commission constituted as provided in section 2 of this Article.

1° The Commission shall consist of the following persons, namely, the Chief Justice, the Chairman of Dáil Éireann (An Ceann Comhairle), and the Chairman of Seanad Éireann.

2° The President of the High Court shall act as a member of the Commission in the place of the Chief Justice on any occasion on which the office of Chief Justice is vacant or on which the Chief Justice is unable to act.

3° The Deputy Chairman of Dáil Éireann shall act as a member of the Commission in the place of the Chairman of Dáil Éireann on any occasion on which the office of Chairman of Dáil Éireann is vacant or on which the said Chairman is unable to act.

4° The Deputy Chairman of Seanad Éireann shall act as a member of the Commission in the place of the Chairman of Seanad Éireann on any occasion on which the office of Chairman of Seanad Éireann is vacant or on which the said Chairman is unable to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Firefox11 wrote: »
    No. I think you right! I think he would make a great president at this time in Ireland.

Thank you - tbf he seems like the only one with a real strategy, and his PR team have come on leaps and bounds from the first debate - I think he has a good chance. And even if people don't like him, you have to admit that anything's better than a *cough cough* liar.... -_-

A Cavan man as President

He'll lead the country to a stingy, mean and tight fisted future :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Again, not defending Norris, but the Dana accusations are going to hurt her more because they are something more recent. I agree firing him from the campaign should nearly be enough but I also think she'd need to come out with a full damnation of her brother to go anywhere in the debate ...
    I have no idea whether the man is guilty or not, but it's hardly appropriate to simply assume he is without benefit of fair trial or the opportunity to defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mikemac wrote: »
    A Cavan man as President

He'll lead the country to a stingy, mean and tight fisted future :P

I know that's probably in jest but its not true.
    I know lots of Cavan people and they are anything but stingy.
    Niall Tobin did them a great injustice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If that happened the Presidential commission would take over the running of the office and a new President would be elected within 60 days if he were to die. Can't see the country grinding to a halt though if this did occur.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement