Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From the constitution -

Seems if he passed away parties can agree a replacement:

Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He took over from Childers who died.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Good for Gallagher, has certainly won my support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

mikemac wrote: »
    No issues with Michael D's age .........................................................................................................

Michael D has been active for decades, what more can he do to demonstrate it?

Try and convince the punters. Old Dolly is finally found on :D out!

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET**

The unOfficial Betting Thread **ODDS RESET ** :D

Best prices at the moment:

Sean Gallagher ................................... 4/7

Michael D Higgins .............................. 11/8

Martin McGuinness ............................ 20/1

Mary Davis ...................................... 50/1

Gay Mitchell .................................... 50/1

David Norris .................................... 66/1

Dana Rosemary Scallon ................... 300/1

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I am from the United Kingdom, I'd like to vote but I can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

sgb wrote: »

How many votes would you like ?
    I'm sure some of the S.F. lads could arrange a few for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

we cannot vote in the UK either,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You can still post though, it sure doesn't stop KeithAFC

The tags are great too, well done all

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

It's quite depressing if not surprising to see Fianna Fáil's stealth candidate surging to the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

argonaut wrote: »
    It's quite depressing if not surprising to see Fianna Fáil's stealth candidate surging to the lead.

Don't worry he won't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

argonaut wrote: »

Why? What's he going to do if elected, that could in any way benefit FF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Why? What's he going to do if elected, that could in any way benefit FF?

Can you not see Michael Martin casually and snidely dropping it into an interview, 'Of course we couldn't overtly back Seanie, but we did support his campaign....blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Spread wrote: »
    Try and convince the punters. Old Dolly is finally found on :D out!

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET**

The unOfficial Betting Thread **ODDS RESET ** :D

Best prices at the moment:

Sean Gallagher ................................... 4/7

Michael D Higgins .............................. 11/8

Martin McGuinness ............................ 20/1

Mary Davis ...................................... 50/1

Gay Mitchell .................................... 50/1

David Norris .................................... 66/1

Dana Rosemary Scallon ................... 300/1

& to think that I put 100 Euro on her @ 66/1...! I feel a bit of a fool now, I can tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

& to think that I put 100 Euro on her @ 66/1...! I feel a bit of a fool now, I can tell you.

That's the daftest bet I've heard in a long time man..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

its a pity gallagher's association with ff is either
    a)not being widely reported
    b)not considered as important
    c)actually attractive to some voters.

The man gave a speech at a ff rally in donegal lttle over 6 months ago for fecks sake.

its like the closet ffers who would admit to still voting for them in february, now have a candidate. Its a ffer they can talk about supporting in discussion, without actually using "fianna fail', and not being shamed.
    'ah shure he's a good man, he'd be a great president.
    [quietly]
    and shure when the times right, we can bring him back into da partay'
    [/quietly]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Who cares retalivity, people vote for the man, not the party

And Cork City, Leitrim, Clare and Meath all have Fine Gael as the largest party on their councils
    Yet Gallagher got their nominations with ease, maybe he impressed them?

This whole party connection is overblown, nobody cares on election day, personality and popularity contest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

a man would be heavily influenced by his political history, or the political party backing him. i dont like seeing 9quasi)ff returning to the forefront so soon after they were bundled out a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

There is still 10 days for people to cop themselves on(about SG) !
    Lump on Michael.D if you have any spare cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Liquidator

At this point, going to go with David Norris. Sean Gallagher a close second and Martin McGuinness in third.

Think the rest are completely boring and would do little little constructively with the presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Can you not see Michael Martin casually and snidely dropping it into an interview, 'Of course we couldn't overtly back Seanie, but we did support his campaign....blah blah blah

I don't see the problem. Martin has zero credibility at the moment so I doubt anyone would take a comment like that seriously.

For me, Gallagher is the best option from the field of 7 candidates. I don't really care about his FF past. He was not an elected representative Nd never took part in Government decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

He cares CookieMonster. His FF mates care about credibility. Realistically the FF parlimentary party of 2008 should be in front of a judge.

Treason is a veryserious crime and the fact that he cannot denounce his FF mates makes him part of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

He cares CookieMonster. His FF mates care about credibility. Realistically the FF parlimentary party of 2008 should be in front of a judge.

Treason is a veryserious crime and the fact that he cannot denounce his FF mates makes him part of the problem.

so by that logic all the remaining FF tds should resign because of the partys mistakes in the past? Get real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Treason? Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭T0mmy C

Why is my name not on the poll? :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As I see it, FF are doing what I suggested SF could do with doing a few pages back in my discussion with Biggins; they are taking a fresh face who isn't directly responsible for the problems and past the party have been involved with and using him as their candidate.

I have problems with FF and what they've done as a group but SG as an individual wasn't one of those in power who was directly involved with the problems. The moral problems I have with FF are still there and worry me, but on the other hand, we aren't electing Bertie or Cowen into office; the men who did **** up the country. At the moment, SG will get my number two, but I've always been open about voting for whoever is favorite to beat MMG on the day, so him and Higgans could switch for me closer to the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

dvpower wrote: »
    Treason? Get a grip.

What would you do? give them a medal for ruining this country and pissing off everyother europen country? FFS read a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

As I see it, FF are doing what I suggested SF could do with doing a few pages back in my discussion with Biggins; they are taking a fresh face who isn't directly responsible for the problems and past the party have been involved with and using him as their candidate.

I have problems with FF and what they've done as a group but SG as an individual wasn't one of those in power who was directly involved with the problems. The moral problems I have with FF are still there and worry me, but on the other hand, we aren't electing Bertie or Cowen into office; the men who did **** up the country. At the moment, SG will get my number two, but I've always been open about voting for whoever is favorite to beat MMG on the day, so him and Higgans could switch for me closer to the time.

Higgins is all over the front page of the Irish Mail. Another attempt by the media to discredit a candidate

Higgins is all over the front page of the Irish Mail. Another attempt by the media to discredit a candidate

I have no clue what that has to do with the post you quoted to be frank, or why you felt the need to bold it :confused:

On the other hand, maybe that could be used to show the "The Media are pushing Higgins to win" brigade that they are mistaken and that all the candidates are getting a rough time. I've no doubt you'll see stories about Gallagher by the end of the week....

What would you do? give them a medal for ruining this country and pissing off everyother europen country? FFS read a dictionary.

There's a massive gap between "Treason" and "Heroes who should get medals". I think most people would like to fall somewhere in between and not at either end of the spectrum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I've just picked up on this over on another site.

A DJ, Niall Boylan from 4fm, has filed a complaint to the garda based on third-hand info about an alleged incident 25 years ago?

Two weeks to the election and this happens now.

I knew pres elections were dirty but by christ, there's some mud being flung in this one.

PS The article states the gardai are saying the allegations are baseless and disgusting.

What a load of utter gutter journalism (I know I should know better)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Linky?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement