Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Linky?

It's the mail, I wouldn't be bothered :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

It's the mail, I wouldn't be bothered :pac:

in fairness it could have been a less reliable source, it could have been Prime Time

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

There's a massive gap between "Treason" and "Heroes who should get medals". I think most people would like to fall somewhere in between and not at either end of the spectrum...

I said they should be infront of a judge for the crime. Let the law decide. If your opinion is this wasn't treason then by all means make your case. The outcome of the guarantee speaks for itself. The actions and inactions of the government at the time are well documented. People who held goverment positions in this country are responsible for what they have done, or decided not to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I said they should be infront of a judge for the crime. Let the law decide. If your opinion is this wasn't treason then by all means make your case. The outcome of the guarantee speaks for itself. The actions and inactions of the government at the time are well documented. People who held goverment positions in this country are responsible for what they have done, or decided not to do.

Just because the country is in worse **** now does not mean that by putting the guarantee in place those responsible are guilty of treason...corct me if I've taken you up the wrong way.

Relative to is thread, my view is that Gallager is too far removed from the decisions made by the last government and therefore it is unfair to hold him in any way accountable. The fact that he had a difficulty denouncing FF is understandable to an extent, although I thought he could have handled the question a lot better.

I have more difficulty overlooking McGuinness's past and I would think I'm not alone.

Just because the country is in worse **** now does not mean that by putting the guarantee in place those responsible are guilty of treason...corct me if I've taken you up the wrong way.

Relative to is thread, my view is that Gallager is too far removed from the decisions made by the last government and therefore it is unfair to hold him in any way accountable. The fact that he had a difficulty denouncing FF is understandable to an extent, although I thought he could have handled the question a lot better.

I have more difficulty overlooking McGuinness's past and I would think I'm not alone.

How do you mean not guilty of treason? What do you think happened? That guarantee sunk this country. The choice was clear. It was us or them. FF/Greens chose them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

How do you mean not guilty of treason? What do you think happened? That guarantee sunk this country. The choice was clear. It was us or them. FF/Greens chose them.

You realise that FG and SF voted the guarantee in too right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't get me wrong. I DO think some people should be up in court for gross negligance which led to the country going down the toilet. I think treason is not the right charge though, and I think going overboard in such discussions weakens the arguement.

If people would keep their head when talking about the idiots who ran this country into the ground, it would benefit everyone and would let us actually do something about it. Instead, once again, people engage in hyperbole and come up with these nonsense accusations which make the actually logical ones harder to work with...`

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

cosanostra wrote: »

That's saying Dana's supporters have "it" to begin with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

[QUOTE=General General;74957871]& to think that I put 100 Euro on her @ 66/1...! I feel a bit of a fool now, I can tell you.[/QUOTE]

Foinavon won the Grand National at 100/1. Theres still a few more hurdles to clear yet.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong. I DO think some people should be up in court for gross negligance which led to the country going down the toilet. I think treason is not the right charge though, and I think going overboard in such discussions weakens the arguement.

If people would keep their head when talking about the idiots who ran this country into the ground, it would benefit everyone and would let us actually do something about it. Instead, once again, people engage in hyperbole and come up with these nonsense accusations which make the actually logical ones harder to work with...`

Neglagent? Ask their advisors about that. The ''dog ate my homework'' lol. It's called treason. They buggered you and me over their mates.

Neglagent? Ask their advisors about that. The ''dog ate my homework'' lol. It's called treason. They buggered you and me over their mates.

Treason implies they set out to destroy the country on purpose. To say Bertie and co wanted to destroy the Irish government is nonsense and destroys your credibility in arguing against them. They were negligant and stupid and greedy and there's plenty of reason to want them to pay for their criminal stupidity. But treason is a stupidly strong word. It would be like me saying that the IRA were involved in mass genocide; it's over exagerating their crime and enganging in hyperbole when there's no need since they already did enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

old hippy wrote: »
    On second thoughts, I hope everyone does vote for alleged murderous sectarian criminal McGuinness. Stick him in the Arras (ooer) out of harms way. The only thing we have to worry about is that oath. Where does the allegiance truly lie... :D

Say what you want about McGuinness but he is absoulutly not Sectarian he faced Sectarianism from a State (NI) which regarded his community as SECOND CLASS CITZENS from birth not defending his past in the PIRA but his motives were anti british government and not based on Religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

None of them appeal to me but the thoughts that our next president will be a businessman with close links to Fianna Fail makes me sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

None of them appeal to me but the thoughts that our next president will be a businessman with close links to Fianna Fail makes me sad :(

Hopefully he wont be president, A yes man if I ever saw one, A cute hoor..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If people vote for Sean Gallagher with his links to FF this country deserves everything it gets, it really does.

If people vote for Sean Gallagher with his links to FF this country deserves everything it gets, it really does.

Help me out here, please. What is the worst that can happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Is it too late to register? How do I?

What do you think happened exactly? You seem to have more information on this than I do. Yes, the guarantee in question was a big call, but based on the information available to the government at the time, it was a credible call in my view.

Even if we agree that it was a bad decision, it's a huge leap to then say it's treason. I can't go along with that.

Also, it's slightly off topic...we're discussing the presidency...not the previous government.

:confused:

hmm well for a start it's giving FF a little clap on back as to say yer not that bad..

fook off ff

• Advertisement

The worst that can happen is we have FF represent this country once more. Telling the world it's OK to do as they've done. Makes me sick to think that anothe FF speech writer can influence the majority into letting these shysters have any kind of say anymore.

:confused:

hmm well for a start it's giving FF a little clap on back as to say yer not that bad..

fook off ff

Each to his own. I don't see it that way for what it's worth, and it certainly doesnt put me off voting for him.

Do you mind me asking who you are voting for?

Each to his own. I don't see it that way for what it's worth, and it certainly doesnt put me off voting for him.

Do you mind me asking who you are voting for?

Honestly I still have no idea, but looks like it's between MMG and Norris, but they both have their flaws too.

Honestly I still have no idea, but looks like it's between MMG and Norris, but they both have their flaws too.

That's putting it mildly:D

I'm not fully certain at this stage either; Higgins could get my vote also.

I can't think of enough reasons to vote for Norris even though I think he's a likeable enough chap...I do think the clemency letters Fiasco has knocked him for six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

Us or them? Exactly whose money do you think was in AIB/Bank of Ireland.... that's right ours. Perhaps not yours, but as far as I am aware, the majority of the population would have had their money in one or other of these institutions. Should Anglo have been included? - I think probably not. But I can't see how any government could have let AIB or BOI fail.

As to the question of Mr Gallagher and his FF connections. I wouldn't be so disturbed by them if he wasn't trying to make out that he was not involved with FF since 2009, when he took an active part in the FF GE campaign last Feb.

In relation to some of the other candidates, I would not vote for Mr McGuinness. I think that peace in Northern Ireland is so important that the inclusion of former members of terrorist organisations in legitimate politics was a necessary price to pay. The Presidency is not crucial for peace on the streets either North or South of the border, so no thank you sir.

I cannot understand why Ms Scallon is being so persistent in her quest for the Áras. Consider me bewildered.

I don't have very strong feelings about Mr Mitchell or Ms Davis one way or another.

My vote would be for Mr Higgins, though I think Mr Norris would be a good president too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I've just been reading Eoghan Harris, that reasoned, measured, consistent and mentally-balanced statesman who has nobly stood by his principles for the past 40 years, and I have to say I'm really starting to think Martin McGuinness would make a superb President of Ireland.

Thank you, Eoghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Why the F### is Martin Mcguinness ranked second?!?!?!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Because it would make Eoghan Harris, Aengus Fanning, Tony O'Reilly, Anne Harris, Dion Fanning, Constance Harris, Gavin O'Reilly, Gwen Halley Harris and the few other heroic people left in Independent Newspapers who are not related to them so unbelievably happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Why wouldn't he be and he the best politician in the race. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dionysus wrote: »
    Because it would make Eoghan Harris, Aengus Fanning, Tony O'Reilly, Anne Harris, Dion Fanning, Constance Harris, Gavin O'Reilly, Gwen Halley Harris and the few other heroic people left in Independent Newspapers who are not related to them so unbelievably happy?

They hate John Hume as well but it wouldn't make me just automatically vote for him.

Personally I just vote for who I think is the best candidate, no matter what the Mail or Sindo says.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement