Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Dionysus wrote: »
    Because it would make Eoghan Harris, Aengus Fanning, Tony O'Reilly, Anne Harris, Dion Fanning, Constance Harris, Gavin O'Reilly, Gwen Halley Harris and the few other heroic people left in Independent Newspapers who are not related to them so unbelievably happy?

You forgot Keith Harris.

His duck Orville is green, white (nappy) & orange (beak), you'd like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

Im giving mc Guinness my no. 1 with Norris no. 2
    The brits dont seem to have a problem with M Mc Guinness. The FG/FF media have. Im a Brit and he is well respected in England for turning things around in N. Ireland. Look at the number of Visitors from England in Ireland since the Good Friday Agreement. Both my parents were Irish and they would have loved to see Mc Guinness as President. Eire has to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The brits dont seem to have a problem with M Mc Guinness. The FG/FF media have.

FG/FF media aren't the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Think its far too soon for Mc Guinness & Co to be going around the place saying Blessed are We, The Peacemakers and all the murders they've been implicated in both North and South ,even since the ceasefires and Good Friday Agreement , Paul Quinn and Robert Mc Cartney to name just a couple.

(Read Jim Cusacks article online in yesterdays Sunday Independent titled ''Ceasefire meant nothing to gangs'')

They need at least 10 more years in democratic politics before i'd consider voting for them and John Hume is The Real Peacemaker imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I won't be in the country so won't be voting but if I were, it'd probably be for MDH.

I couldn't vote for that FF tool Gallagher; Davis hasn't impressed me in any way; no point voting for Mitchell, Pat Kenny KO's him in the charisma stakes; no way I'd want that delusional, religious nutjob Dana as president.

I'd have considered voting for Norris but trying to get a paedophile free in the manner he did is rather disappointing.

I'm undecided on MMG. I think he's getting an unwarranted and disproportionate level of flak for his IRA connections. I don't agree with the IRA or any of their splinter groups but I think he's been badgered to death about it at this point. If he's getting grilled for his IRA past, why isn't Gallagher being grilled to the same degree for his FF past? It really is sickening, imo. I definitely see it is an orchestrated campaign to keep him on the defensive, which is really unfair. That said, I don't agree with SF on a lot of things and MMG would be the best of a bad bunch amongst the other candidates.

I can't see any legitimate problems with Higgins. Most people are just saying he's too old or his personality rubs them the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I won't be in the country so won't be voting but if I were, it'd probably be for MDH.

I couldn't vote for that FF tool Gallagher; Davis hasn't impressed me in any way; no point voting for Mitchell, Pat Kenny KO's him in the charisma stakes; no way I'd want that delusional, religious nutjob Dana as president.

I'd have considered voting for Norris but trying to get a paedophile free in the manner he did is rather disappointing.

I'm undecided on MMG. I think he's getting an unwarranted and disproportionate level of flak for his IRA connections. I don't agree with the IRA or any of their splinter groups but I think he's been badgered to death about it at this point. If he's getting grilled for his IRA past, why isn't Gallagher being grilled to the same degree for his FF past? It really is sickening, imo. I definitely see it is an orchestrated campaign to keep him on the defensive, which is really unfair. That said, I don't agree with SF on a lot of things and MMG would be the best of a bad bunch amongst the other candidates.

I can't see any legitimate problems with Higgins. Most people are just saying he's too old or his personality rubs them the wrong way.

I'm in the same boat as regards choices. I won't vote for MDH or Mitchell because they were in parties who kept quiet and allowed F.F. to ruin the country. F.F. could not have succeeded if the opposition was any good. Can't vote for Gallagher because of his close links to F.F. or for Dana or Norris. Davis just won't make it regardless of her great work with Special Olympics. Mc Guinness is a good candidate and has been a great peace campaigner BUT is it too soon to vote for a S.F. candidate ? I might just be prepared to vote for him but have some reservations. We have a very poor choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The brits dont seem to have a problem with M Mc Guinness. The FG/FF media have. Im a Brit and he is well respected in England for turning things around in N. Ireland. Look at the number of Visitors from England in Ireland since the Good Friday Agreement. Both my parents were Irish and they would have loved to see Mc Guinness as President. Eire has to move on.

The thing is Norris will be eliminated before McGuinness and unfortunately for him will not poll well in rural Ireland, you would be better off giving Norris No. 1 as he will need them the most and then number two to McGuinness and as your vote will then unfortunatly not have elected a candidate I' advise you give three to Higgins as it will benefit him against Fianna Fail's Sean Gallagher.

I would appeal to all the people thinking of supporting the minority candidates to rally behind Higgins to try ensure that Ireland does not get a Fianna Fail president. I was going to vote no. 1 for McGuinness as early on I hoped he might make it but with RTÉ and the Fianna Fail controlled media trying every trick in the book to get that ball of sleaze Gallagher into the Aras, I am now not voting so much for the candidate as to try and stop Gallagher.

Fianna Fail destroyed Ireland which was once a prosperous country, they do not deserve to have any say in the running of this country ever again, we all want the little guy like Norris to be successful but in reality it ain't gonna happen and all it is doing is fracturing the support base so much as to allow another Fianna Fail traitor to hold power.

Don't forget what those FF scumbags did to this country and to future generations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Says John Bull ;)

Seriously, though - it depends which British people you talk to about Mr Mc.

And one has to wonder where his allegiances truly lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

Stinicker wrote: »
    The thing is Norris will be eliminated before McGuinness and unfortunately for him will not poll well in rural Ireland, you would be better off giving Norris No. 1 as he will need them the most and then number two to McGuinness and as your vote will then unfortunatly not have elected a candidate I' advise you give three to Higgins as it will benefit him against Fianna Fail's Sean Gallagher.

I would appeal to all the people thinking of supporting the minority candidates to rally behind Higgins to try ensure that Ireland does not get a Fianna Fail president. I was going to vote no. 1 for McGuinness as early on I hoped he might make it but with RTÉ and the Fianna Fail controlled media trying every trick in the book to get that ball of sleaze Gallagher into the Aras, I am now not voting so much for the candidate as to try and stop Gallagher.

Fianna Fail destroyed Ireland which was once a prosperous country, they do not deserve to have any say in the running of this country ever again, we all want the little guy like Norris to be successful but in reality it ain't gonna happen and all it is doing is fracturing the support base so much as to allow another Fianna Fail traitor to hold power.

Don't forget what those FF scumbags did to this country and to future generations.

I can see where you are comming from but I dont dislike Gallagher enough to vote for someone else just to keep him out and a FG/LP candidate in. I never intended voting for Gallagher. The media are mud slinging all over the place making a farce of this important election so I will vote as I intended prior to all the durty tricks and against the media. Mc Guinness 1, Norris 2. Thanks for your interesting post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

just saw gay mitchell being interviewed by Brian Dobson on six one news. heres what i gotta say.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLEpZm957jk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

For those of you who can't get enough Presidential polls, the TG4 Dabate with Poll is now running in the Elections forum.

Click to vote > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056424836

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

just saw gay mitchell being interviewed by Brian Dobson on six one news. heres what i gotta say.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLEpZm957jk

I saw him on yesterdays news being asked about his opinion about his position on the polls, said he wasn't worried etc. One reporter asked would he try to claim back expenses for money he spent on the campaign. GM said 'don't be ridiculous', pushed the guy out of his way and stalked off.

We really can not have some one like that as president of our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 DashCams.ie

Definately not McGuinness - I respect the few friends I have in the army too much to make them salute and parade for that man, to get their honours from him and act as his retinue.

And what are their thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stinicker wrote: »

Yes indeed. BUT they got a free run at it from the opposition. So to me F.G. and Labour are just as guilty. F.G. seem to be F.F. mark 2.

Watching the Vincent Browne Presidential Debate and not a single one of the candidates comes across like someone I want to vote for.

I'm fairly certain that Gay Mitchell is a wind up doll. He cold dead eyes are creepy as hell and his hand movements are plain odd. He seems to need a few seconds to warm up before speaking. Gallagher tried to make some points but the reflection of the lights off of his head was distracting. And lets not forget that he's a liar, this is a man who has had no involvement with FF yet was in my hometown last February launching a FF candidates campaign.

Norris was hopeless, he didn't debate so much as shout about how he great he was and how much hardship he suffered. Higgins wasn't much better, he has to be one of the most boring people you will ever find. Dana, doesn't seem to understand what the job entails and at this stage a vote for her is a wasted on, still she's miles ahead of Davies. Loved that woe is me moment where she spoke of her daughter not having a job. Surely she or one of her friends in FF can find something for her, the found enough for her mother over the years.

McGuiness came across quite well but considering his competition that isn't too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fcuk me.. did anyone just see Mary Davis' campaign ad on RTE? Disturbing stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Pretty desperate alright. Luckily, she hasn't a hoping hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sean Gallagher's was pretty bad last night too - he even played the disability card (he's got bad eyesight).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Nope. What is it?

Nope. What is it?

It's Mary speaking about equality and stuff, while a rake of other people mime to her words. At the end there was a little boy appearing to say "I am Mary Davis"

It's a bit creepy!

• Advertisement

At the end there was a little boy appearing to say "I am Mary Davis"

I've seen a preview of Michael D.Higgins' ad... at the end of it, there's a little boy beside MDH, saying, "I see dead people".

It's Mary speaking about equality and stuff, while a rake of other people mime to her words. At the end there was a little boy appearing to say "I am Mary Davis"

It's a bit creepy!

:eek: Sounds cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I was going to vote no. 1 Norris and then no. 2 Michael D, but then Martin entered the race and for me it must always be no. 1 Sinn Fein.:)

So it became Martin 1, Norris 2 and Michael D 3 --- the other tossers shag all.:rolleyes:

Then Michael D came out with that sh1te (worthy of Own Arse or Kevin Myarse or Rude Deadly Arse or the rest of the quisling lick-Brit-arse brigade) and badly disappointed me.:mad:

Now it will be Martin 1, Norris 2 and the rest of them I wouldn't give the skin off my sh1te.:cool:

:eek: Sounds cringeworthy

It is!

I found it online..

Sweet dreams..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

"I'm Mary Davis and I'm not asking you to vote for me on Oct 27th"

Not the best way to start to be honest.

What the actual fuck? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

What the actual fuck? :eek:

You plucked the fcuking thought right outta my head!

I'd rather live in a world infested by zombies than one where everyone speaks like Mary Davis.

That ad was scarier than 28 Days Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

That Mary Davis ad is shocking!

Sean Gallagher has no qualification what so ever to be president. A failed business man, we have lots of them, why should he be president?
    Why anyone would vote in someone connected to Mary Coughlan and Brian Cowen is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 GFJD

Mitchell is a rat. His campaign is to pretty much stop McGuinness and let higgins sail in. He reminds me of a sewer rat. He could play splinter the rat teacher from the teenage mutant ninja turtles if they every bring it to the stage. He and his colleagues are a disgrace to the people of Ireland with their antics in this campaign.

Gallagher is both a product and perfect example of the Fianna Fail mantre of how to feck the country up - no thanks. Alot done , more to do. Hope not.

Norris stands for excellent causes and human rights issue which is great but a few of his statements regarding age of consenual sex between 2 people and issues arising from that and others are very very worrying.

Mary Davis though done sterling work with the special Olympics and good causes has whored herself out after that to any group of profiteers who will give her money.

Martin McGuinness has been unfairly treated by the establishment and the media in this country. I havent heard any positive comments regarding his work in the peace process. They talk about how many people were killed in the troubles at the hands of the IRA.
    How many lives have been saved by this man leading the IRA and subsequently the British secret army/UDA/UVF and others away from violence?
    He's head and shoulders above the rest. The vast vast majority of the 25 million Irish around the world would want him in. Just because the establishment have other ideas on steming his rise to prominence should not deter people from the fact that he has the most chance out of all the candidates to bring jobs from countries like Canada and the USA to our shores. He is highly thought off by people in high places in other parts of the world. His idea of a decade of reconcilliation is very interesting for all the people on the island. This would be massive for this country.

Michael D Higgins deserves alot of respect, no doubt about it. His fluent Irish Language skills and demeanour are refreshing. However , the man is about 10 years too late. He also hasnt been scrutinised regarding alot of issues such as his outspokeness on China and Israel - (not saying I dont agree) but surely you would need to ask how defacing China will help our main crisis in this country - Jobs. Defacing China does not help. McGuinness joined the same Army as his colleagues Eamon Gilmore and DeRossa - the old Official IRA. Hasnt been mentioned though has it? Thats only certain questions but its quite obvious hes getting an easy path. Hopefully the Irish people dont be fooled by this would be my opinion.

Dana , well Dana is a good woman, but shes a bit of a novelty candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement