Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hogmeister

GFJD wrote: »

How many lives have been saved by this man leading the IRA and subsequently the British secret army/UDA/UVF and others away from violence?

Agreeing not to kill any more people in the future does not count as saving lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 GFJD

Hogmeister wrote: »
    Agreeing not to kill any more people in the future does not count as saving lives.
    thats an outlandish and negative take on the paragraphs I wrote.
    Out of all i wrote above , that is your comment.

says it all really.
    the same thing needs to be said to you that was said to the democratic left and Sinn Fein in years not too long ago by people like you - Move on.
    The thing is, people have moved on. You have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hogmeister

GFJD wrote: »
    thats an outlandish and negative take on the paragraphs I wrote.
    Out of all i wrote above , that is your comment.

says it all really.
    the same thing needs to be said to you that was said to the democratic left and Sinn Fein in years not too long ago by people like you - Move on.
    The thing is, people have moved on. You have not.

In what way is that outlandish? Do you think that ceasing to kill people counts as saving lives, and if so, why?

This nonsense about moving on is ridiculous. The country had moved on; it's McGuinness who is reopening old wounds by having the gall to run for the presidency of a country whose citizens and servants he has murdered without a single sincere word of contrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

In what way is that outlandish? Do you think that ceasing to kill people counts as saving lives, and if so, why?

Of course it is. In what way is helping to bring an end to violence which, without doubt, would otherwise have lead to more bloodshed not saving lives? In fact it is pretty much the exact definition of what the phrase means.

This nonsense about moving on is ridiculous. The country had moved on; it's McGuinness who is reopening old wounds by having the gall to run for the presidency of a country whose citizens and servants he has murdered without a single sincere word of contrition.

How many of those has HE murdered? And by what criteria do you judge his sorrow at their deaths to be insincere?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 GFJD

Its outlandish and bizarre that from around the 400words i wrote you attempt to twist 5 or 6 words , not surprisingly refering to my opinion about Mcguinness.

This country has been through turmoil. Not just at the hands of the IRA. Also and more so by the British Government in fact. For someone to be able to turn the people away from reacting to unjust British and Loyalist antics and showing them a path were nobody needs to die deserves more respect than you seem to offer.

Maybe visit the relatives of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings , the Dundalk bombings , pat Finuance , ete etc etc...there is hurt on all sides. It took a brave stand to move people away from the mindset of tit-for-tat killings of British Army, RUC, Loyalist bigots which also resulted in innocent lives being wrongly taken which nobody wants. Nobody. MMG played a huge part in this. He is probably amongst a handful of people on this island who are the reason that this has transpired , and that we have peace, lasting peace on this Island. If Mcguinness can sit down and talk to Ian Paisley who surely would 'Never' even acknowledge a nationalist as an equal citizen , then maybe you can think of looking at things from more than the one angle also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I reckon the poll should be reset again. Week to go and all that.

The real polls change every 2/3 days, why not this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

sdeire wrote: »
    I reckon the poll should be reset again. Week to go and all that.

The real polls change every 2/3 days, why not this one.

What's this... Lisbon 3?!?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What's this... Lisbon 3?!?!!!!

Precisely. I dislike the current outcome and want it redone.

No really though, people's perceptions change, early polls in the media were vastly different to current ones. I think it would be advantageous to reset it now with a week or so left, and see how accurate it is come the 27th ;)

If it's anything like boards.ie/vote, I'm guessing there's very little we can do to aid the whole accuracy thing though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gone off Gallagher big-time. He took far too long to distance himself from F.F. and in reality still has their mindset.
    People who denounce McGuinness because of what the I.R.A. did and who are backing Higgins or Mitchell should also look at what Labour and F.G. did while in opposition and at what they continue to do in power i.e. sell our children and grandchildrens' futures down the Swanee to save the skins of the Bankers and gamblers. Whats the difference between any of them ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gone off Gallagher big-time. He took far too long to distance himself from F.F. and in reality still has their mindset.
    People who denounce McGuinness because of what the I.R.A. did and who are backing Higgins or Mitchell should also look at what Labour and F.G. did while in opposition and at what they continue to do in power i.e. sell our children and grandchildrens' futures down the Swanee to save the skins of the Bankers and gamblers. Whats the difference between any of them ?

There's a slight difference between being behind the ruining of peoples lives and being behind the termination of peoples lives.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's a horrible bunch of candidates to choose from. It's choosing the worst from a bad lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

There's a slight difference between being behind the ruining of peoples lives and being behind the termination of peoples lives.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's a horrible bunch of candidates to choose from. It's choosing the worst from a bad lot.

I agree with you BUT the people who murdered in many cases thought they were doing it for the right reasons (delusional as they were) and the people who are making us pay for the debts of gamblers and banks are doing so not just because they too are delusional but because those same bankers and gamblers are their friends and acquaintances.
    There are far more I.R.A. men in prison than gamblers and bankers.
    I have no time for either by the way.

I hear Helen Lucy Burke's tape of the Norris interview has been found and played on the Joe Duffy Show today.
    Anyone hear it ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I hear Helen Lucy Burke's tape of the Norris interview has been found and played on the Joe Duffy Show today.
    Anyone hear it ?

Nope. Don't particularly wish to hear that vile woman on that utterly shite show.

Nope. Don't particularly wish to hear that vile woman on that utterly shite show.

So why reply ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone hear it ?

It was certainly interesting, but tbh Norris is a none runner for me anyway.

Listened to Pet Kenny try to interview Micheal D yesterday - a proper evasive arrogant little prick was old Micheal.

For a time my focus swung between Gallagher and Martin McGuinness, but I can't get past Gallagher's FF links, they're just far too recent.

McGuinness is right up at number one for me again.

It was certainly interesting, but tbh Norris is a none runner for me anyway.

Listened to Pet Kenny try to interview Micheal D yesterday - a proper evasive arrogant little prick was old Micheal.

For a time my focus swung between Gallagher and Martin McGuinness, but I can't get past Gallagher's FF links, they're just far too recent.

McGuinness is right up at number one for me again.

Yes. I never voted for S.F. before but if there ever was a suitable election for them this is it. The choices are unbelievably poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Never mind all the candidates on the ballot, Dermot Mulqueen thinks he'll win it anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQB9gnFWGI&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

This question may have come up before but I think it's interesting.

Does anyone think that senior (or other) members of the defence forces or gardai would have a serious issue with Martin McGuiness as President? I'm thinking especially senior defence forces staff who have long memories and would have to deal with him as a commander in chief.

Would it even cause resignations? (or would the lure of a pension prevent that?)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

So why reply ?

This is a forum for opinions. I apologise profusely for giving mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

yea funny old election this one

a thread about Sean Gallagher mysteriously disappeared from AH last night ,
    not locked but gone - whoosh - vamoose :eek:
    not a mention or warning from the mods - as if it did not happen

click on this http://boards.ie/tre/2056427924

now i was following that thread and as far as i could see BOARDS should have had no issue with it - but they did , comment 2 close to the bone eh lads ?
    good to see this " ex " ff scumbag has power over what comment is voiced on the internet

and i have just heard that this gimp now has 40% of the vote ????
    PEOPLE OF IRELAND WILL YOU NEVER LEARN - he is as dirty as the all the rest of his ff buddy's and he will be caught out and hung dry

does nobody read the the feckin papers anymore ??? and its not even one paper taking a pop at him , its all of them !!!

pity it will be when he is our next first citizen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

dj jarvis wrote: »
    yea funny old election this one

a thread about Sean Gallagher mysteriously disappeared from AH last night ,
    not locked but gone - whoosh - vamoose :eek:
    not a mention or warning from the mods - as if it did not happen

click on this http://boards.ie/tre/2056427924

now i was following that thread and as far as i could see BOARDS should have had no issue with it - but they did , comment 2 close to the bone eh lads ?
    good to see this " ex " ff scumbag has power over what comment is voiced on the internet

and i have just heard that this gimp now has 40% of the vote ????
    PEOPLE OF IRELAND WILL YOU NEVER LEARN - he is as dirty as the all the rest of his ff buddy's and he will be caught out and hung dry

does nobody read the the feckin papers anymore ??? and its not even one paper taking a pop at him , its all of them !!!

pity it will be when he is our next first citizen

I'd love to know what Thread that was ...
    Maybe SG is a Mod....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

charlemont wrote: »
    Maybe SG is a Mod....

it was about someone claimed that sean g did not pay up for some work done in his house - but small potatoes compared to all the other accusations in the papers this week

i have thought from the start the he was a bad'un

problem is if this does turn out to be provable it will be " our " president having to resign in shame and scandal
    ( ha haahahhaha as if a irish politician would ever resign over anything )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hello,

Just resurrecting this.

What do people make of Gallaghers 14pt lead in the polls.

Do you think it reflects your experience talking with friends etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

charlemont wrote: »
    Maybe SG is a Mod....

Anonymous poster on the internet accusing a candidate with "it happened to a friend of mine" story with no proof. No great mystery, proofless stories get pulled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

Hello,

Just resurrecting this.

What do people make of Gallaghers 14pt lead in the polls.

Do you think it reflects your experience talking with friends etc?
    Well I live in Cavan where Gallaghers from and from talking with many its all Gallagher here since people know him and he is a good canidate. Him and McGuinness will be getting the votes here and I assume it would be similar in Louth and Monaghan to a lesser degree.

I hate Fianna Fail as much as the next guy, but people arent stupid, Gallagher cant be blamed for Fianna Fails mistakes he wasnt involved.

It was always likely anyway because Labour are non existent here, Mitchell isnt attracting votes and the rest havent really concentrated much attention here.

After the TG4 debate I'm still not impressed by any of the candidates.

Gallagher comes across very poorly, this man of the people approach hes going for is rather condescending when you consider that he is lying about his past and is obviously only interested in the position for the profile and as a result financial gain it will award him.

Mitchell still creeps me out and reminds me of some wind up toy, the hand gestures are just plain odd and he seems oblivious to the world around him.

Michael D once again bored me to death, that he spoke Irish throughout I found rather insulting to his other candidates many of whom may only have a basic grasp of it. I understand his reasons for doing so but it just annoyed me. He may be the best bet though as we could send him off on trade delegates and when he puts the audience to sleep we could slip in and forge signatures on important documents.

McGuiness impressed me again, he comes across as a decent enough bloke and as far as I'm concerned if they can get past his history up North then we should be able to do so also. I'm not saying I agree with his past actions but at least he's proven that he will fight for something he believes in and his decision to not take the full salary for himself is a nice gesture.

Norris, well he's out of the race completely. He comes across as a pompous, know it all who you just can't trust. There's something slimy about that man and there isn't a hope of him getting in. I'd lump the others in with Norris, the only way voting for any of them will make a difference is when it comes to transfers. Going to be a lot of tactile voting going on.

Poll Reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Poll Reset for the last time

• Advertisement

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Poll Reset for the last time

Don't you dare try and steal my thunder :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement