Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Stinicker wrote: »
    now Fianna Fail bankrupted the country transferring over €200 billion to their connected cronies to be re-paid by you the public taxpayer for the next 50 years.

The EU are to blame for that . 'Don't let anglo fail' 'Don't burn the bondholders' etc,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Looks like Mary Quango Davis's base has collapsed and defected to Gallagher.
    Peas in a fckin pod - made for each other, cut from the same cloth.

I don't want to sound patronising or preachy but honestly, more than half of that 40% (if he gets that) ought to take a good look at themselves in the mirror.
    The other half are congenitally dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Morlar wrote: »
    The EU are to blame for that . 'Don't let anglo fail' 'Don't burn the bondholders' etc,.

step by step explain that statement for me please?

the eu warned us on the borrowing
    the eu warned us on the housing bubble
    the eu warned us on the budget deficit
    the eu warned us on the civil service pay and conditions
    the eu warned us on the reliance on the building trade

the eu are paying to run this country - ecb are funding our banks

sorry but i am no fan of Ireland's relationship with the eu but the above facts are just that - facts

now who was in charge ? who was supposed to be listening ?
    god forbid the gangsters who were being paid to do just that
    the courts will never get these bastards - it is up to us , the Irish people to ENSURE that FF never ever get elected again - no matter how bad the rest are ( poetic license in that statement )

they do not deserve the trust of the electorate ever again

we are the only nation involved in the collapse that has not had a official investigation into who how and why !!

feckin banana republic is where we live

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Morlar wrote: »

Im sick of hearing this crap. The EU/german banks/etc... are not charities, they are looking out for their own interests and to get the best deal possible. Which is fair enough.

And which is what FF were supposed to be doing for the Irish. Getting us the best deal possible. And they failed miserably cos they are a shower of useless incompetent corrupt chancers who were not fit to run a pub let alone a country. FF were the ones wrecked the country not Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

If Gallagher gets elected I hope FG and Labour really goes to town and hammer Ireland and our people they have the majority and the five years to do it, I think people in this country are retarded and FG should effectively institute a pogrom against Fianna Fail and make the people realise what will happen if you keep voting for scum like Gallagher. If he was in Libya or Tunisia he would have been one of the first ones to be shot dead by the people there.

For 800 years we were kicking the sh1t out of the English and our own Protestants, we get Independence thanks to the forefathers of the modern Labour, Fine Gael and Sinn Fein parties and then almost immediately the anti-treayites (Fianna Fail's ancestors) start a civil war which resulted in more Irish deaths than in the war of Independence against the British to begin with.

What followed was 90 years of almost uninterrupted Fianna Fail corruption which kept the population poor and destitute, now Fianna Fail bankrupted the country transferring over €200 billion to their connected cronies to be re-paid by you the public taxpayer for the next 50 years. Three Generations of Irish people have had their hopes and dreams wiped out, people in their thirties are clinging on, those in their twenties are totally wiped out and teenagers have nothing ahead of them. Fianna Fail destroyed Ireland and now they have the cheek to send in a Trojan Horse in the form of Gallagher to take the presidency and coupled with their propaganda arms RTÉ and the Independent they look like they will fool the entire country to vote for them again.

They won't fool me and if Irish people are so stupid to vote for FF again then they deserve to be raped and pillaged like this and as far as I am concerned if our democracy is reduced to the fact that one political party can bribe and buy elections through media controlled propaganda then please would some-one hand back the keys to the Queen and lets re-unite with the UK as our democracy and Independence has been squandered by the people themselves and their ignorance.
    Where are you posting this from that you hope everyone in the country gets hammered by our current government? I assume you're abroad when you want something done to everyone in Ireland for voting for someone that had been in FF at a grassroots level but never made any key detrimental decisions, and who happens to be the one that people are empathising with his largely positive message.
    Overall one of the stupidest posts I've seen in regards to this presidential debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

chosen1 wrote: »
    Where are you posting this from that you hope everyone in the country gets hammered by our current government? I assume you're abroad when you want something done to everyone in Ireland for voting for someone that had been in FF at a grassroots level but never made any key detrimental decisions, and who happens to be the one that people are empathising with his largely positive message.
    Overall one of the stupidest posts I've seen in regards to this presidential debate.

Grassroots me hole. Gallagher wasnt grassroots, he was as high as you get in FF without being a TD. Sure he almost went for election as a FF TD in Dec 2010, nevermind that he says he left FF in 2009.:rolleyes: He was also held in such esteem that he was called upon to launch the election campaigns of multiple FF TDs...again, after he said he was no longer active with the party.

Gallagher is the worst of FF. A complete spoofer, a golden circle member with access and pull with all the top guys in FF. A guy who was taking hundreds of thousands of euro in state grants and paying himself hundreds of thousands while Smarthomes was going down the tubes and losing a fortune and the investors were complaining. He rode the public purse big time on that one. And then the building that they paid themselves rent for - they paid themselves 200K rent on that and when Smarthomes stopped using it it was only able to command 10K rent....amazing...

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the 'loan' worth 70% of the companys cash reserves that got transferred to the 'wrong account'...

Dont give me this grassroots sh1te, Gallagher was far removed from grassroots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Yes, Gallagher is a gambler with a neck like a jockey's bollox. He's crude, pushy and not Presidential material.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm appalled this guy is now the lead runner by a country mile.

It sickens me. This country is clearly full of people unwilling to learn from the past. If anything, this man represents everything that has gone wrong here in the last decade.

Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy - but the problem is that's why people will vote for him. Shallow beings.

I beg of ye, stay well clear. I'm going with Michael D as he's the only man there who is suitable for, and much more importantly the only one who has done anything with his life to remotely deserve the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Spread wrote: »
    Yes, Gallagher is a gambler with a neck like a jockey's bollox. He's crude, pushy and not Presidential material.

I can't understand - how the hell did this guy get to be the front runner? What has he ever done for the country? How the hell can he represent Ireland?
    sdeire wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy

Is he a nice guy? Does he portray himself as inoffensive? Is that why people are voting for him? :rolleyes: Unbelievable.

But seriously, can somebody explain? Cos I'm flabberghasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

McGuinness No 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

McGuinness No 1

Ah go on - he is a someone!

Joking asides, I lose all respect for a candidate (regardless of the importance of election) and his followers when all they say is Vote Mr X Number 1

How redundant is the Number 1? Seriously, what gob would think you want them to vote number 3 for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Do any of the candidates make good presidential material?

Baldie Bertie followed by an ex-hippy then an ex-terrorist followed by a politician who claims not to be, a token Fine Geal lightweight, then the Quango Queen and a Eurovision has-been.

Are we all being tested here? when are the real candidates coming forward?

Is Thursday really about the other amendments disguised in a clown election for the Oirish Circus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

If Gallagher gets elected I hope FG and Labour really goes to town and hammer Ireland and our people they have the majority and the five years to do it, I think people in this country are retarded and FG should effectively institute a pogrom against Fianna Fail and make the people realise what will happen if you keep voting for scum like Gallagher. If he was in Libya or Tunisia he would have been one of the first ones to be shot dead by the people there.

For 800 years we were kicking the sh1t out of the English and our own Protestants, we get Independence thanks to the forefathers of the modern Labour, Fine Gael and Sinn Fein parties and then almost immediately the anti-treayites (Fianna Fail's ancestors) start a civil war which resulted in more Irish deaths than in the war of Independence against the British to begin with.

What followed was 90 years of almost uninterrupted Fianna Fail corruption which kept the population poor and destitute, now Fianna Fail bankrupted the country transferring over €200 billion to their connected cronies to be re-paid by you the public taxpayer for the next 50 years. Three Generations of Irish people have had their hopes and dreams wiped out, people in their thirties are clinging on, those in their twenties are totally wiped out and teenagers have nothing ahead of them. Fianna Fail destroyed Ireland and now they have the cheek to send in a Trojan Horse in the form of Gallagher to take the presidency and coupled with their propaganda arms RTÉ and the Independent they look like they will fool the entire country to vote for them again.

They won't fool me and if Irish people are so stupid to vote for FF again then they deserve to be raped and pillaged like this and as far as I am concerned if our democracy is reduced to the fact that one political party can bribe and buy elections through media controlled propaganda then please would some-one hand back the keys to the Queen and lets re-unite with the UK as our democracy and Independence has been squandered by the people themselves and their ignorance.

Never ever underestimate just how stupid the average Irishman/Irishwoman actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

geetar wrote: »
    the same people FF bashing would also be the very same people who conviniently forgot that they voted for them only a few years ago.

I don't know who's "bashing" them, but in relation to those validly criticising them, the above observation is wrong.

Have never voted FF (eligible to vote since around the time O'Malley challenged Haughey) and - despite most people's inexplicable party allegiances - I have no default preference for a party.

So what's your take on people like me ? Am I allowed criticise them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I'm very upset. I was hoping that the country could move on from mixing politics with business as much as possible.

It really is depressing. I feel numb. For the first time in a long time myself and my wife talked about emigrating last night. We are both in employment and are struggling to make ends meet with child care and the cost of the rent but this feels like the last straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I cannot believe he is going to be President do Irish people have memories of goldfish are they that thick????HIS party destroyed our country,peoples lives have been ruined an yet he is going to be the president of the country

Its like a waking nightmare:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I cannot believe he is going to be President do Irish people have memories of goldfish are they that thick????HIS party destroyed our country,peoples lives have been ruined an yet he is going to be the president of the country

Well I'm voting for him, and to be honest everyone calling me 'stupid' just makes me more likely to. All you are doing is entrenching people's views. Do you all really think calling people ignorant and stupid is the right way to go about changing people's minds????

What is the most important thing for Ireland right now? IMO it is strong representation at trade conventions and business promoting trips abroad, which is something in which the president has an active role. And who better than Gallagher? He can talk the talk in those environments and that is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What I find ironic is that what got us into the mess with FF was people voting along party lines rather than voting for individual candidates on their merit.

Now when people are looking at Gallagher on merit and ignoring any party ties, they're being derided as blind fools.

Gallagher isn't getting my no. 1 but tbh I don't see a particular issue having a FF candidate in the Áras. Still have to look at it in terms of the reality of what the President does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

All you need to to win now is a nod, a wink and a smile, while spouting a few soundbites on jobs.
    The depressing thing is the same people who are going to give him their no.1 vote are also going to be given the chance to vote to amend our constitution.
    I've only come across two people who are giving him their no.1 and they are both idiots. One didn't know about the referendum and the other thought it was about judges...close enough I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Is he a nice guy? Does he portray himself as inoffensive? Is that why people are voting for him? :rolleyes: Unbelievable.

But seriously, can somebody explain? Cos I'm flabberghasted.

I'm not. In a race that has been marred by negativity, dirt and divisiveness, Gallagher seems to be the only one pushing a 'positive' campaign. He stuck to his own message rather than throwing sh!t at others. This is not to say that his message is great or anything, just that people are sick of all the nonsense regarding the election. I've met a few people who say they'll vote for him and this seems to be a recurrent theme in their reasoning.

I'm not a SG supporter by any means btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Not all of the dinosaurs became extinct. Some of them had evolved out of the saurian family and become birds before the great extinction happened. It's a bit the same with Fianna Fail. The ELE (extinction level event) last February didn't get them all. Now one of those surviving birds, of the genus sh1tehawk, who managed to abandon the doomed ship in time, looks set to become cock of the walk in Ireland. But I live in hope that somehow that disaster will be averted and our nation will be spared becoming an even bigger laughing stock in the world than it already is.:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

My mom wants to vote SG because he's young. No amount of explaining that he's very much deep rooted in FF and is the very last thing we need in power considering the damage FF has done.

Off topic, An ad came on last night of mike murphy and bertie and my face really said it all to her that I very much despise Bertie and she says to me the man is considered a hero. Oh my fu(king god! The bint is clueless about everything. I'm glad porkie pig is not running for the presidency because there are people out there who would blindly vote for him despite what he's done.

If FG have any cop on they would introduce a license to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

steve9859 wrote: »

Well I'm voting for him, and to be honest everyone calling me 'stupid' just makes me more likely to. All you are doing is entrenching people's views. Do you all really think calling people ignorant and stupid is the right way to go about changing people's minds????

What is the most important thing for Ireland right now? IMO it is strong representation at trade conventions and business promoting trips abroad, which is something in which the president has an active role. And who better than Gallagher? He can talk the talk in those environments and that is what counts.

Oh yeah, and the other reason I am voting SG number 1 is so I can see how many boardsies actually spontaneously combust with rage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

seamus wrote: »
    What I find ironic is that what got us into the mess with FF was people voting along party lines rather than voting for individual candidates on their merit.

Now when people are looking at Gallagher on merit and ignoring any party ties, they're being derided as blind fools.

Gallagher isn't getting my no. 1 but tbh I don't see a particular issue having a FF candidate in the Áras. Still have to look at it in terms of the reality of what the President does.

In my opinion the reason the state was married to FF and thus a massive mess was created was not because of people voting on party lines or party policies. Well maybe some had such an attitude like an example would be those people that FF helped like the OAPs, developers. But it was pothole politics. What can one do for me and my locality attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ilovesleep wrote: »
    In my opinion the reason the state was married to FF and thus a massive mess was created was not because of people voting on party lines or party policies. Well maybe some had such an attitude like an example would be those people that FF helped like the OAPs, developers. But it was pothole politics. What can one do for me and my locality attitude.
    Partially, but there was also a lot of, "His father was a good man" and, "I'm FF through and through, I'll vote for them till the day I die".

The general election was the first election where we finally saw the destruction of the old civil war politics. Through pure apathy, the old party politics maintained momentum in this country because families voted as blocks. So whoever granded voted for is who Dad voted for and in turn is who the family voted for. You'll still find a scary amount of people who are "told" what way to vote by their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If we end up with a Fianna Fail president I think we can thank the media & Fine Gael for all the effort they put into the negative campaign against Martin McGuinness. If Gallagher gets in it will be because the discussion on this subject was completely skewed and Galagher was able to stay under the radar as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

steve9859 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and the other reason I am voting SG number 1 is so I can see how many boardsies actually spontaneously combust with rage!!

That's a very poor reason to vote for him.
    He WAS part of the F.F. Government machine who are responsible for the way the country is now, for the mass emigration of our children, for those who remain paying for the sins of the Gamblers and Bankers and for their non-prosecution.

You either have no children, no money worries or no brains if you intend voting for a self-serving person who is again fooling many of the people posters on here.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

It is bizarre alright.
    I hope the media this week leave no doubt about his FF credentials.
    Just so people know what they are voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I am shocked that the Danas car wasnt tampered with. The Guards must be in on the murder attempt too. I think it warrants further investigation :pac:
    A garda investigation has found no evidence of criminal damage to a tyre which blew out on Dana Rosemary Scallon's campaign car.

The incident occurred last week as she was been driven from Co Leitrim to Dublin. Dana and her campaign team initially said they had been that the tyre could have been deliberately cut.

However garda forensic collision investigators believe the damage to the tyre was most likely caused by being driven while it was "under inflated" or flat.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1024/president.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

im voting sean gallagher, the best of a bad lot imo. i hope he can follow on some of his promises like encouraging greater innovation in young people, and that he can attract some employment with all the trade fares that he will going to. he seems a very genuine guy as well, likeable and honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement