Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

im voting sean gallagher, the best of a bad lot imo. i hope he can follow on some of his promises like encouraging greater innovation in young people, and that he can attract some employment with all the trade fares that he will going to. he seems a very genuine guy as well, likeable and honest.

Bertie Ahern. Jackie Healy Rae. Sean Gallagher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

steve9859 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and the other reason I am voting SG number 1 is so I can see how many boardsies actually spontaneously combust with rage!!

That's a very poor reason to vote for him.
    He WAS part of the F.F. Government machine who are responsible for the way the country is now, for the mass emigration of our children, for those who remain paying for the sins of the Gamblers and Bankers and for their non-prosecution.

You either have no children, no money worries or no brains if you intend voting for a self-serving person who is again fooling many of the people posters on here.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me !!!!

Why don't you go back and read the actual reason that I am voting for him, instead of just the addition to my post that was making a joke????

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why don't you go back and read the actual reason that I am voting for him, instead of just the addition to my post that was making a joke????

Do you mean thew bit where he has you fooled into believing that he is a great candidate who has the good of the country at heart and who can talk the talk abroad ?
    If so maybe you would actually look into his record with his own business Smarthomes. How is that doing ?
    Also when you are ticking his name on the voting paper think of the thousands of young Irish people who will be sitting in airports saying goodbye to ttheir parents with tears in their eyes and the parents asking themselves if they will see them again.
    This lad is a F.F. as you can get FFS !!!!

Do you mean thew bit where he has you fooled into believing that he is a great candidate who has the good of the country at heart and who can talk the talk abroad ?
    If so maybe you would actually look into his record with his own business Smarthomes. How is that doing ?
    Also when you are ticking his name on the voting paper think of the thousands of young Irish people who will be sitting in airports saying goodbye to ttheir parents with tears in their eyes and the parents asking themselves if they will see them again.
    This lad is a F.F. as you can get FFS !!!!

I am one of them. I've had to leave the country to get work in london. But I am not letting hatred cloud my judgement and I am voting for a man what i believe to be on his merits and not along party political lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

well your vote is a joke anyway. This is what you are voting for, a man who cashes a cheque before he gives out costly spoof and rhetoric? Stay Classy Sean
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-election/gallaghers-useless-advice-at-euro4aminute-left-me-feeling-sick-2911605.html

• Advertisement

Well I'm voting for him, and to be honest everyone calling me 'stupid' just makes me more likely to. All you are doing is entrenching people's views. Do you all really think calling people ignorant and stupid is the right way to go about changing people's minds????

What is the most important thing for Ireland right now? IMO it is strong representation at trade conventions and business promoting trips abroad, which is something in which the president has an active role. And who better than Gallagher? He can talk the talk in those environments and that is what counts.
    You are very naive if you really think that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder if he came out and told people to "move on", would that settle things :P

Anyway, I'm not saying he'll get my number one. But I do respect the strategic mindset of SG's campaign. They've done exactly what I said Sinn Fein needed to do; they took a candidate who was not directly responsibile for the troubles caused by the problems of the party and distanced him from the party, and as a result, people are more willing to look past his party's mistakes. I still hate FF and I can never forgive them for what they've done, but they are being smart by not putting up someone who was directly responsible for their downfall.

I agree with Seamus though; people aren't basing this election on what parties are running but on the individual running. On an individual basis, while he is still shakey, he doesn't have as many skeletons in his closet as MMG, Norris, Dana et al. He's the closest to a "normal" person running in this election.

Well I'm voting for him, and to be honest everyone calling me 'stupid' just makes me more likely to. All you are doing is entrenching people's views. Do you all really think calling people ignorant and stupid is the right way to go about changing people's minds????

What is the most important thing for Ireland right now? IMO it is strong representation at trade conventions and business promoting trips abroad, which is something in which the president has an active role. And who better than Gallagher? He can talk the talk in those environments and that is what counts.
    You are very naive if you really think that.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

I agree with Seamus though; people aren't basing this election on what parties are running but on the individual running. On an individual basis, while he is still shakey, he doesn't have as many skeletons in his closet as MMG, Norris, Dana et al. He's the closest to a "normal" person running in this election.

Parties aside, on a solely individual basis, surely Higgins merits the job far more than Gallagher.

Parties aside, on a solely individual basis, surely Higgins merits the job far more than Gallagher.

Which is why, personally, I'll be voting Higgins number one. I'm just trying to justify the mindset some people have with regards Gallagher for some of the people who are acting like it's being reported that Satan himself is leading the polls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

If this country votes Gallagher into the Aras, then we as a country have learned nothing from the last 4 years of depression and pretty much deserve everything we get and have coming to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Voting McGuinness but Higgins will probably secure it.

Shocked at the amount of SG votes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The worst reason I've ever heard for voting for Seán Gallagher was on the radio a few weeks back: some woman called into the show and said she'd be voting for him because "It's nice to see someone from Cavan running."

*facepalm*

The worst reason I've ever heard for voting for Seán Gallagher was on the radio a few weeks back: some woman called into the show and said she'd be voting for him because "It's nice to see someone from Cavan running."

*facepalm*

Is that in any way surprising? Thats been the way politics have worked for as long as I remember. Hell, it's the way everything works; look at the string of reality shows where it's not "Vote for me cause I'm the best" but "Vote for me cause I'm the closest resident to where you live".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Is that in any way surprising? Thats been the way politics have worked for as long as I remember. Hell, it's the way everything works; look at the string of reality shows where it's not "Vote for me cause I'm the best" but "Vote for me cause I'm the closest resident to where you live".

Surprising, no. Mind-bogglingly stupid, yes :pac:. I don't have the beef with SG that most people on here seem to (he wasn't actually in the Dáil when all the shit decisions were made), though he wouldn't be getting my vote anyway. But because he's from Cavan? That's just daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Its looking highly likely according to the polls that SG will be our next president.

What kind of a nation are we? How dim are we?

SG was deep rooted behind the scenes of FF, a party that has fu(ked over ireland for their own greedy gains. Now people are going to reward FF for 10years+ of lies and deceit. No doubt, the very people voting for more of the same will surely vote yes to referendum number 2 and give the man and his cronies more power and thus when berties tribunal is finally released saving his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Its looking highly likely according to the polls that SG will be our next president.

SG was deep rooted behind the scenes of FF, a party that has fu(ked over ireland for their own greedy gains. Now people are going to reward FF for 10years+ of lies and deceit. No doubt, the very people voting for more of the same will surely vote yes to referendum number 2 and give the man and his cronies more power and thus when berties tribunal is finally released saving his ass.

"The biggest argument against democracy is a ten minute conversation on politics with the average voter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Just goes how gullible and stupid some people are voting for Sean Gallagher who is Fianna Fail through and through the same party responsible for destroying this country a legacy which Fine Gael and Labour have continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

sean is the only one of the candidates who is actually talking about positive things like creating opportunites for young people, encouraging business people around the world to come here. yes he was a member of FF , but michael d was a member of FF years back. sean did not make or was responsible for some of the bad decisions taken a few years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

sean is the only one of the candidates who is actually talking about positive things like creating opportunites for young people, encouraging business people around the world to come here. yes he was a member of FF , but michael d was a member of FF years back. sean did not make or was responsible for some of the bad decisions taken a few years back

Words are cheap. You remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sean would probably charge you about 250 Euro for that sort of mentoring advice.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Just goes how gullible and stupid some people are voting for Sean Gallagher who is Fianna Fail through and through the same party responsible for destroying this country a legacy which Fine Gael and Labour have continued.

Just try and influence people not to vote for him then come Thursday (in the real world-it seems very few are admitting to voting for him online and the likes of twitter etc are the opposite of indicative to what is happening in the real world)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There's another Presidential poll running in the Elections Forum, if you want to vote?

Click > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056430246

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered but what does poll reset mean? I would have thought all candidates go back to zero and people can vote again. But looking at the voting results it doesnt look like it was reset yesterday.

JohnP199 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked/answered but what does poll reset mean? I would have thought all candidates go back to zero and people can vote again. But looking at the voting results it doesnt look like it was reset yesterday.

It was reset two days ago. It just so happens that it's gone back to being the same. Guess people haven't changed their minds on AH all that much.

Anyway, I'm starting to wish there was a rule forced that you can't bemoan how stupid people are for saying they'd vote for one candidate without providing the name of the candidate you plan on voting for; so many people going "Ye are idiots" and I have a feeling one could construct similiar arguements for all the candidates.

You mean like Labour's at the last election, whose candidate people on this thread are pushing on party political grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

It was reset two days ago. It just so happens that it's gone back to being the same. Guess people haven't changed their minds on AH all that much.

Anyway, I'm starting to wish there was a rule forced that you can't bemoan how stupid people are for saying they'd vote for one candidate without providing the name of the candidate you plan on voting for; so many people going "Ye are idiots" and I have a feeling one could construct similiar arguements for all the candidates.

Cheers. I didnt think it could be a new vote as SG has such a low percentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

mikom wrote: »
    Sean would probably charge you about 250 Euro for that sort of mentoring advice.

I read that alright, charged 500 euro to some poor sap for 90 minutes of useless advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

Stinicker wrote: »
    If Gallagher gets elected I hope FG and Labour really goes to town and hammer Ireland and our people they have the majority and the five years to do it,

.....:confused:
    For 800 years we were kicking the sh1t out of the English and our own Protestants, we get Independence thanks to the forefathers of the modern Labour, Fine Gael and Sinn Fein parties and then almost immediately the anti-treayites (Fianna Fail's ancestors) start a civil war which resulted in more Irish deaths than in the war of Independence against the British to begin with.

what a ridiculous thing to bring up in a presidential debate in 2011.
    What followed was 90 years of almost uninterrupted Fianna Fail corruption which kept the population poor and destitute, now Fianna Fail bankrupted the country transferring over €200 billion to their connected cronies to be re-paid by you the public taxpayer for the next 50 years.

if that were really the case, would the population keep voting them in?

ireland was a poor country, but not because of FF, well.. until now...:pac:

but ill stress this has nothing to with the presidential worthiness of SG who was not a member of/nor had any role in decision making within FF.

after all this is a non-political position. are you really suggesting that we dont vote for someone through association of an already disgraced political party? sean gallagher isnt dwelling on the past and neither should you. if you listen to the man, youll see hes thinking forward which is the only way out of this mess.

he would be rejuvenating to this country.

the president is only a figure head, but it does hold a metaphorical power. i think electing a young entrepeneur would be representitive of the mindset this country needs to escape this resession and get back on track.

we certainly dont need to return to a gerontocratic die hard catholic society by voting in higgins. he would have made a good president in the 60's, but we need to move on and evolve as a county. unlike dana's family issues and norris's ex-lovers, McGuiness' past is very important, and should be examined by the people. it appears the people have spoken on that regard and wont be voting him in, regardless of the usual republican consensus on AH.

Gallagher is the worst of FF. A complete spoofer, a golden circle member with access and pull with all the top guys in FF. A guy who was taking hundreds of thousands of euro in state grants and paying himself hundreds of thousands while Smarthomes was going down the tubes and losing a fortune and the investors were complaining.

that money was repaid, and its common practise, although frowned upon. he was releasing money for private investment. some of that money was owed to him from his company for rents and patent liscences.

he repayed the money within the 6 months allowed, so dont make it out to be a personal salary, it wasnt.

Morlar wrote: »
    If we end up with a Fianna Fail president I think we can thank the media & Fine Gael for all the effort they put into the negative campaign against Martin McGuinness. If Gallagher gets in it will be because the discussion on this subject was completely skewed and Galagher was able to stay under the radar as a result.

gallagher is by no means under the radar. mcguiness is getting scrutiny, but rightly so. his past is by far the most controversial and emotionally attatched to the people of ireland.
    It is bizarre alright.
    I hope the media this week leave no doubt about his FF credentials.
    Just so people know what they are voting for.

it has been made very clear. but it appears the majority of people dont care. they can keep drilling the point, but this presidency is not about connections to has been political parties. its about moving on and finding a suitable representitive for this country in the toughest economic times weve ever faced.

gallagher is ideal for that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I weep for the country.
    After this morning, im starting to feel that although I miss it, i really am better off out of it, if people are prepared to vote this clown in.
    Peopl talk about him being the only one with ideas and innovation and jobs etc... ITS A CEREMONIAL ROLE.
    What the hell is he going to do as president to create jobs? apart from possibly awarding cushy redevelopment contracts to his ff mates, taking 'advisors' on junkets round the world.
    Makes me sick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement