Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

what a shi*e bag, Norris laughing and smiling while dodging the questions! Hes hiding behind this legal advice shi*e which suits himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Can you imagine the Gardaí having to protect MMG and saluting him after his crowd murdered members of the force? Also the army. I'd say they'd rather chop off their arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Norris for me.

I thought long and hard about this but in the end I feel he is a good, honest man who made a mistake because he loved some-one and wanted to help him.

I still think his comments were twisted way out of proportion and the letter writing thing was made to be something it wasn't. I certainly do see him as supporting child abuse in way, shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lmao @ 'Liar Liar' coming on after the debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Crea wrote: »
    Can you imagine the Gardaí having to protect MMG and saluting him after his crowd murdered members of the force? Also the army. I'd say they'd rather chop off their arms.

I can, the same way the Gardai and the Army had to protect Dev and his gang when they came to power when the civil war was still a recent memory.

Life goes on, the Army serves Ireland, as do they Gardai, they are not there solely to serve any president.

Im sure plenty wil lhave a problem if he won, but im equally sure plenty would have a problem with say Norris winning after the scandals on him, im sure plenty know or have come into contact with victims of sexual assault and rape, and cannot for a moment contemplate how somebody could defend the rapists actions.

But yet again, this is Ireland, Dana will probably win and all our bickering for nothing haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Norris for me.

I thought long and hard about this but in the end I feel he is a good, honest man who made a mistake because he loved some-one and wanted to help him.

Thought with his hole heart and not his head. A very, very poor decision. This gonna be a feature of his presidency?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Crea wrote: »

Like I said in another thread, Fianna Fail/IRA killed far more members of the Irish defence forces since the foundation of the State than the Provos did and there was not a major issue with them holding power. Not too many Gardai or soldiers preferred chopping off their arms than to salute De Valera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Isn't the ballot STV? Shouldn't we have a poll similar to the one that was run before the General Election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Martin McGuiness must be delighted that Dana enterd the race, now he's not the worst candidate from Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

squod wrote: »
    Thought with his hole heart and not his head. A very, very poor decision. This gonna be a feature of his presidency?

Yeah, he made a decision with his heart instead of his head 20 years ago - he's human like the rest of us. He's also said he regrets doing it.

Why is this issue overshadowing all the good work he's done over his career?

• Advertisement

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Martin McGuiness must be delighted that Dana enterd the race, now he's not the worst candidate from Derry

Ah now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why is it that some people are less willing to support one connected to helping another accused of statutory rape than one connected with many atrocities including murder (deliberate, accidental or execution)?

Surely murder is more heinous than statutory rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

What does that even mean? Before she entered he had been the only candidate from Derry, meaning he was also the best candidate from there. Just like Michael D Higgins in the worst and best candidate from Limerick, Mary Davis the worst and best candidate from Mayo and David Norris is the worst and best candidate from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

David Norris claims his life has been an open book.

His lawyers have told him to censor some pages.

Yeah, he made a decision with his heart instead of his head 20 years ago - he's human like the rest of us. He's also said he regrets doing it.

I bet he regrets doing it now. Never during those twenty years did he say he regretted it. Some of his campaigners rightly gave him the elbow. He backed out of the race before due to this issue. Nothing has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The thing that bugs me about the whole Norris thing is not what he did, which was unthinkable. It was not even that he failed to somehow see - even with hindsight - that what he did was irreproachable. Nor was it the fact that it took him weeks to come out with the half arsed apology that he did the other day.

For me, it was the fact that he withdrew himself from the Presidential race with a speech to the press in which he painted himself as some kind of tragic hero who was being exiled and then had the arrogance to proclaim his return to the race as if it were the greatest political comeback in Irish history - and not call it for what it really was - which was a scandal over a very sordid affair in which his involvement became exposed by a national newspaper.

He has done many good things in his political career, but for me, his arrogance, buffonery & sheer lack of moral judgement make it impossible for me to understand why anyone could ever consider him a good representative as our head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im not voting, the presidency is a waste of time and money. We already have marty whealen to open schools and shopping centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Norris will win. We all know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

"I will be the next president of Ireland!

I insist!!!"

.. You know though, it is indeed good to see somebody actually wants the position, so torn between the two. of that view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Im not voting, the presidency is a waste of time and money. We already have marty whealen to open schools and shopping centers.

Wouldn't have minded Marty being President considering the people running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mr. SS

Norris will win. We all know it.
    Rural Ireland wont have it. They are the people who actually vote. Norris has never left the Pale in his life, it will come back and bite him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Wouldn't have minded Marty being President considering the people running.

He seems like a really sound bloke, by all accounts. Definitely would make a nice gatekeeper for the Pheonix Park - especially if he had his dolly bird, Kathyrn Thomas, serving the drinks to the visiting dignitaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Either Michael D or David Norris.........won't be voting down the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The people you mentioned bancrupted teh country, stole and probably did far more damage and caused more pain to children then Norris' six letters did. Who's the hypocrite now?

(And no, I'm not/wouldn't be a Norris voter)

Where did I mention bankrupting the country? What's that got to do with anything?

I'm talking about using one's influence for inappropriate means. I add Trevor Sargent to the list I already provided. He wrote a letter trying to influence a court decision. But at least he had the decency to resign when found out.

Norris wrote letters on Seanad paper using his position as influence and even had the audacity back in the 1990's to say that he was viewed as a potential president of Ireland. He may be viewed as such now, but there's no way in hell he was viewed as such back then. The arrogance of the man is stomach-turning.

I have only developed this present opinion of him since this debacle unfolded. Before recently, I hugely admired him. I felt that his fight in the 80's and early 90's to have homosexuality decriminalised was a brave and massive achievement.

However, now I have very little respect for the man and feel he has no place in the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

He seems like a really sound bloke, by all accounts. Definitely would make a nice gatekeeper for the Pheonix Park - especially if he had his dolly bird, Kathyrn Thomas, serving the drinks to the visiting dignitaries.

This. This is MY Ireland. *sheds a single tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Seven seconds was all my ear's could take, I like the man [Higgins} but God damn that voice :mad:

Apart from his voice why would you not consider Higgins over or after Norris?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Michael D or Davis will get the culchie vote so either of them will probably win.

Will probably vote for McGuinness meself.

Can't see Norris even coming close to winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Richard wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I have to laugh at all the "he's good enough for Northern Ireland" crap - the North was offered other options and refused them.

Yeah, but it is difficult (although not impossible) to criticise MMG as being unsuitable for President given his role in NI. I think some southern politicians don't mind Sinn Fein being in high office, as long as it's not in the Republic.

That might be their view, for their own agenda, but it's not that difficult because - for different reasons and with no agenda - I don't want him as president.

My point was that him being in power in NI doesn't make him suitable for our state, which is what his apologists would have us believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What an appropriate username for such commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

What an appropriate username for such commentary.

Wow, what a cutting retort to point out that the username I chose for myself may be seen as a term of abuse. I thank you for your valuable insight, you have truly opened my eyes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement