Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

irish-stew wrote: »
    After tonight, kinda know my first 3 preferences, the next 3 not so sure on, and one I really dont want to give any preference too.

:confused:

Well Michael D will come in the top 2, so if you vote for him it won't matter who the rest of your preferences are.

Gallagher will probably be the same, maybe top 3, depending on how tonight's debate is received.

If you vote for Gay, Dana, or Mary, Norris then you are just wasting your vote and need your head checked.

Martin will prob be a middleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

flahavaj wrote: »
    He was perfectly entitld to respond to Mitchell's attack. He had a go and got put back in his box - if that compares poorly to the US then maybe thats because the US candidates have a better idea of how to conduct themselves than Mitchell apears to have.

Kenny was by far the best moderator out of all the debates we've had so far. Made Miriam O' Callaghan for example look awful in comparison.

As a debate moderator, no he isnt. Certainly not during the debate.

Mitchell made a prat out of himself but it was up to the participants in the debate to call him up and make comments, not the moderator. Im not discussing this with you anymore as you dont seem to understand how a political debate should be conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Stinicker wrote: »
    Fair play to Martin McGuinness he roasted that scumbag Gallagher to a crisp tonight. He is the only man in it for me, I want McGuinness to be president but am voting for Michael D. to keep traitor scum like Gallagher away from the presidency.

I reckon ther'll be a few out there voting for Gallagher to keep McGuinness out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Im not discussing this with you anymore as you dont seem to understand how a political debate should be conducted.

Toys out of the pram.

You're not related to Gay Mitchell by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

thee glitz wrote: »
    I reckon ther'll be a few out there voting for Gallagher to keep McGuinness out.

Holy Mother of God. Is that their only reason for voting for Gallagher after tonight's implosion ?

• Advertisement

Toys out of the pram.

You're not related to Gay Mitchell by any chance?
    ^^^^^^^
    Lazy post

Mitchell made a prat out of himself but it was up to the participants in the debate to call him up and make comments, not the moderator. Im not discussing this with you anymore as you dont seem to understand how a political debate should be conducted.

Gay Mitchell shouldn't have made any criticism towards Kenny in the first place. it wasn't just a small comment, he questioned his prefessionalism, his conduct and his work ethic.

Pat was entitled to defend himself once that happened, and he did so. He was fair enough to give Gay a chance to speak after it, it's not like he cut his mic and said that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mitchell doesn't seem to understand how a political debate should be conducted more like.

Kenny was personally attacked, I applaud him for defending himself and delivering such a well delivered put-down to the hapless fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think Pat was great tonight, it was a good debate. He was right to say what he did to Gay Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm voting number one only, not giving any other votes.
    cloneslad wrote: »
    Well Michael D will come in the top 2, so if you vote for him it won't matter who the rest of your preferences are.

Gallagher will probably be the same, maybe top 3, depending on how tonight's debate is received.

If you vote for Gay, Dana, or Mary, Norris then you are just wasting your vote and need your head checked.

It really depends how many counts it takes to decide it, but of my 4-6 preferences, I'm not sure who I dislike the most, my seventh I dont even think I can bring my self to mark anything against them after tonight.

• Advertisement

Holy Mother of God. Is that their only reason for voting for Gallagher after tonight's implosion ?

I'm afraid Sean, I don't think your figures add up and for that reason I won't be investing in your product.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You can vote for Mitchell, Norris, Dana or Davis and your vote will still count, whoever you give your No.2 will count the same as a No.1, the beauty of PR.

If you vote strategically a No.5 can still count, as I did in the GE!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Pat was great tonight, it was a good debate. He was right to say what he did to Gay Mitchell.

Agree. And i can't stand the man but he was the best presenter of any of the debates.

Gay Mitchell shouldn't have made any criticism towards Kenny in the first place. it wasn't just a small comment, he questioned his prefessionalism, his conduct and his work ethic.

Pat was entitled to defend himself once that happened, and he did so. He was fair enough to give Gay a chance to speak after it, it's not like he cut his mic and said that's that.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Mitchell doesn't seem to understand how a political debate should be conducted more like.

Kenny was personally attacked, I applaud him for defending himself and delivering such a well delivered put-down to the hapless fool.

It was a fantasic repsonce from the audence member as well on his inabilty to answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Im not discussing this with you anymore as you dont seem to understand how a political debate should be conducted.

Are political debates usually conducted with a live audience asking populist, personalised and somewhat irrelevant questions?

I don't think Kenny's response to Mitchell is the biggest reason to criticize the thing overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

MMG really ran rings around Gallagher, brilliant TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

LOL!!! Mitchell went to 5hit

Pat Kenny for president

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pat Kenny should have his wages increased to €300,000 per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,168 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well if people vote for Gallagher after tonight then this country deserves to rot to the core.

K-9 wrote: »
    You can vote for Mitchell, Norris, Dana or Davis and your vote will still count, whoever you give your No.2 will count the same as a No.1, the beauty of PR.

If you vote strategically a No.5 can still count, as I did in the GE!

Yes, I know, but what I mean is, it's a waste because they are useless.

I voted strategically in the local elections to vote in a politician who helped me as number 1 then a friend of mine as number 2. I knew my number 1 would get in easily and number 2 would struggle and would need transfers. Both got in, so I was happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well if people vote for Gallagher after tonight then this country deserves to rot to the core.

If people vote for him after tonight the country has already rotted to the core.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Pat Kenny should have his wages increased to €300,000 per annum.

Problem solved...
    PK2008 wrote: »

Pat Kenny for president

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nolls14

The Thing is in major trouble I believe, with these brown envelope revelations....

Mitchell is a clown. Norris, knowing he hasn't got a snowballs ramped up the Ustinovs tonight. Some quality after dinner repartee there. The ladies might as well have been not been there.

Michael D looks like he might turn it around now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Stinicker wrote: »
    Fair play to Martin McGuinness he roasted that scumbag Gallagher to a crisp tonight. He is the only man in it for me, I want McGuinness to be president but am voting for Michael D. to keep traitor scum like Gallagher away from the presidency.

Jezuz, the sickening irony & hypocrisy!

McGuinness (ex PIRA man) get the nod over Businessman & Entrepreneur, what's the world coming to.

Is just a shame this debate went out after the Islands voted. There could be one or two regreting their preferences after tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

LordSutch wrote: »
    Jezuz, the sickening irony & hypocrisy!

Yep - your an anti-McGuinness, anti-SF, anti-Republican poster. We get it, ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes, I know, but what I mean is, it's a waste because they are useless.

I voted strategically in the local elections to vote in a politician who helped me as number 1 then a friend of mine as number 2. I knew my number 1 would get in easily and number 2 would struggle and would need transfers. Both got in, so I was happy.

But the beauty of PR is if you vote strategically, even a useless vote can count. Just keep ticking down by the candidate you least hate!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Dear jaysis another person that does not understand the rules and etiquette of a debate :rolleyes:

Gay Mitchell should not have made a comment to Kenny. Nobody is questioning that. So thats a pretty crap and redundant point you made.

Pat Kenny as a debate moderator is NOT entitled to defend himself during the debate. After the debate yes but not during the debate. He should only remind Mitchell of the rules of the debate and enforce them. He was right to say that it was the public asking the questions and not himself but that is it. If they were having a debate in a pub, Kenny is fully in his rights to defend himself. In the coldness of a political debate he should not ever try and score a point over a participant. Its wrong and it goes against all debate etiquette. A moderator needs to be cold and emotionless.

Raising what was said by Sinn Fein outside the debate for Sean Gallagher was again wrong and immoral. The debate should be a closed house as soon as it starts. The doors should have been locked and any contact with the outside should not have happened until the debate finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

does anyone else find vincent browne annoying? ah ah yeah ah ah yeah talk bout 1 thing then on to another thing then back to the 1st thing than ah ah yeah yeah ah ah well em!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Dear jaysis another person that does not understand the rules and etiquette of a debate :rolleyes:

Gay Mitchell should not have made a comment to Kenny. Nobody is questioning that. So thats a pretty crap and redundant point you made.

Pat Kenny as a debate moderator is NOT entitled to defend himself during the debate. After the debate yes but not during the debate. He should only remind Mitchell of the rules of the debate and enforce them. He was right to say that it was the public asking the questions and not himself but that is it. If they were having a debate in a pub, Kenny is fully in his rights to defend himself. In the coldness of a political debate he should not ever try and score a point over a participant. Its wrong and it goes against all debate etiquette. A moderator needs to be cold and emotionless.

Raising what was said by Sinn Fein outside the debate for Sean Gallagher was again wrong and immoral. The debate should be a closed house as soon as it starts. The doors should have been locked and any contact with the outside should not have happened until the debate finished.

Nah, Mitchell was well out of order and Kenny put him back in his box. They were questioned posed by the public, the fact that Mitchell didn't like them just shows how disconnected he is from the public.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement